Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cubana flight in SDQ emergency landing

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The news this morning said that it caused serious delays yesterday, with several flights diverted to other airports.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds cheap

Quote Originally Posted by jalencastro View Post
    hey Skippy, i work at a private FBO in NY and have seen a rolls royce engine crack from a bird [feathers and all still in the exhaust back side of the engine], granted it was a smaller aircraft [i ithink a Hawker or Citation] but it cracked a few of the blades and had to wait on a new engine to come from canada...LOL
    estimated cost on the parts [$4million]...ouch
    Only 4 million?

I would be very surprised if an engine on a 747 GE or Rolls Royce would look like the one in the picture after a bird strike. I have seen television programmes where they fire frozen chickens into these engines to test them. The chickens normally come out worse for wear and the engines do not explode. They have a very expensive and state of the art protective cowling to keep all the broken bits inside and away from the fuel tanks in the wings. Granted an expensive repair job for someone back at the hanger.

Skippy1

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ONLY $4Million

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy1 View Post
    Only 4 million?

I would be very surprised if an engine on a 747 GE or Rolls Royce would look like the one in the picture after a bird strike. I have seen television programmes where they fire frozen chickens into these engines to test them. The chickens normally come out worse for wear and the engines do not explode. They have a very expensive and state of the art protective cowling to keep all the broken bits inside and away from the fuel tanks in the wings. Granted an expensive repair job for someone back at the hanger.

Skippy1
    LOL I weas told by the mechanic taking care of that engine that was the cost...maybe for the engine alone? i may have misunderstood. if i recall correctly he told me that the engine fan was made up of cermaic blades? or part of it is ceramic which explains why it cracked. i dont even know what bird this plane's engine sucked up but it was right after taking off so i suspect a goose? fortunately they were able to turn back around and land no problem...LOL.
    i doubt a bird could cause an engine to explode like those pictures, unless ostriches learned to fly! LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, i want to know where one gets a chicken shooting cannon! LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

easy make one yourself a piece of 6 inch pipe 4 feet long seal one end with welded plate make a small hole in plate, insert 1/2 inch pipe weld and connect to shutoff valve. add 100 psi air compressor and one frozen chicken inserted and rammed hard into barrel.
    Stand back open air valve and watch the fastest Picco Pollo in the Caribbean....lol

And you do not need a permit......should frighten the C**p out of your average Ladron if strategically placed in the hallway facing the door......hehehe

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! imagine blasting a ladron with a frozen chicken! LOL

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an e-mail this morning that my friend had arrived safely.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Chirimoya.

Glad to hear about your friend Chirimoya, this experiences are... lest just say life changing....

Did you friend take the pictures???

Regards

STIOP

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, she is a professional photographer, among her many talents.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast