Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best prepaid cell phone provider

DEV
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I went with a pre paid because Verizon told me in November that even if I paid a year in advance since I had no permanent address yet in the DR I was not able to obtain a standard account. My company should have a presence there and an address within 3 months so hopefully this will be a mute point after that.

I recharged when I was there 2 -6 Jan and gave a business friend 3 600 peso cards for the 3 phones and asked her to recharge them for me in 60 days if I'm not able to return by then.

Thanks for your help!

Don V

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Orange charges 7.00/minute and 6.00 for orange to orange minutes.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What type(s) of phones would be compatible with orange's service, I'd like to buy a couple of cheapo's to bring with me, and activate over there
    Thanks, Dave

DEV
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEY DAVE
    What type(s) of phones would be compatible with orange's service, I'd like to buy a couple of cheapo's to bring with me, and activate over there
    Thanks, Dave
    An unlocked GSM. Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.

Don V

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone

Thanks! EBAY here I Come!

Quote Originally Posted by DEV
    An unlocked GSM. Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.

Don V

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEY DAVE
    Thanks! EBAY here I Come!
    Unless you can get one on eBay for less than $50, I wouldn't bother. There's always a small chance that the one you buy won't work in the DR for some reason or another. Whereas if you buy one at Orange in the DR, you'll know it works.

Ken
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEV
    My problem is both carriers expire your number after 60 days. I wish there were a way to recharge my Verizon phone from the States without going to New York. Anyone have any ideas on this?
    In the condo where I live, there are owners who are here only in the winter. Before leaving in the spring, they buy several cards and have somebody put a new card in every 2 months. That way, when they get back they have same number and some of the minutes available for immediate use.

Ben
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You can recharge Orange from overseas

Before leaving the DR I buy several Orange cards and simply follow the instructions on the back for how to recharge your account from another phone. You call an 809 number and follow the prompts, including entering your orange phone number. Your Orange phone can be out of the country and/or turned off when you do this. Not difficult but of course long distance rates apply when dialing the 809 number.

Ben

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cell phone

How much is a cheap phone from Orange? Do they rent them?

Quote Originally Posted by rellosk
    Unless you can get one on eBay for less than $50, I wouldn't bother. There's always a small chance that the one you buy won't work in the DR for some reason or another. Whereas if you buy one at Orange in the DR, you'll know it works.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Before leaving the DR I buy several Orange cards and simply follow the instructions on the back for how to recharge your account from another phone. You call an 809 number and follow the prompts, including entering your orange phone number. Your Orange phone can be out of the country and/or turned off when you do this. Not difficult but of course long distance rates apply when dialing the 809 number.
    Excellent info. Never knew you could do that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast