Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best dentist in Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best dentist in Santiago

Hello everyone,

I would like to know of a first rate dentist for putting in crowns in Santiago. Someone with modern facilities.

A phone number would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For Endodontist (root canals & microsurgery) use Dr. Manuel Paulino 2nd floor of Edificio Cristal on Calle Sol across from the monument (582-4139).
    He's absolutely pain free, sterile, competent and with the most modern and complete equipment I've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Since most of these are graduates of my PUCMM program, I can say that they are very good. I personally use the first one and the third one.

Good Luck,

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

And, please don't forget Dr Oscar Morel Doctor Oscar Morel - Odontólogo en Santiago de los Caballeros, Rep. Dominicana. He does implants, crowns and other stuff. I'm not a dentist, so I don't know all the different procedures he does, I just know he is very well educated and experienced. He spends the summers working on patients who come from the US to have him do their dental work. His office is in the building right across from the Metro station, easy to find. At least, give him a call and tell him you heard about him on dr1.com! Thanks

5. Likes SKing liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Dr. Morel in Santiago: Have you (or anyone else) had work done by him?
    I am considering some implants - very heavy lifting and no fun to consider.
    Does he use gas?
    Shiver me timbers - I prefer a visit to the IRS to the dentist.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I missed this yesterday. Dr Morel did 2 root canals a couple of years ago on me. He is now specializing in implants and more permanent type replacement dentistry. He calls me a "chicken". He is really good at making you comfortable, causing no pain and continually reassures you about the procedure you are undergoing so you know what to expect every minute. Going to the dentist is terrifying for me, but I can admit that I didn't have any pain with Dr Morel. Give him a call and talk to him. He speaks very good english.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Folks!

You guys are a great help. I will use one of them for sure.

Bests, and thanks again.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I visited Dr. Oscar Morel two times.

What is good... Office location (across the Metro), a nice building (4th floor), a nice, clean office (a few rooms, very clean everywhere, incl. toilet), nice furniture, reception desk, dental assistant, doctor speaks English.

What is bad... I came with a toothache and I left with the same (if not a stronger) toothache -- after two visits accompanied with a painful and astronomically expensive (by local standards) treatment.

First visit... I had a toothache. Dr. Morel made a temporary feeling. The treatment was painful. No anesthesia, but I do not blame him for this. May be this was a better approach. He charged 1,000 pesos. Scheduled the next appointment in seven days. All seven days I had the same (if not stronger) toothache.

Second visit... Dr. Morel made the x-ray. Told me that x-ray discovered another problem that (he admitted) he overlooked during the first visit. So, as a result, another temporary feeling was needed. The treatment was painful (no anesthesia again). This time he charged 2,500 pesos (for the same work). Scheduled the next appointment in seven days. For a few days I had the same (if not stronger) toothache, then visited another dentist who performed a root canal treatment. Total cost for the root canal treatment (three canals, a few visits): 5,500 pesos.

Dr. Morel told me he does not treat root canals. Based on the info posted here, I assume he treated root canals before. So, it is clear to me that he just did not want to send a "wealthy" American to another dentist to treat root canals. He "tested" my willingness to pay 'tourist' fees by asking 1,000 pesos for a temporary feeling. And after I accepted this, he decided to continue to increase the fees and to schedule more useless visits... on expense of patient's suffering.

I told him I found him by dr1. Of course, he lost me as a patient, lost patients I would send to him. But problem with many of local people is that they make two assumptions: (1) Americans, Canadians, Europeans are very naive and are unable to reveal even primitive tricks; (2) they are so wealthy that don't even notice the difference between 10 USD and 100 USD.
    Last edited by mgrnd; 02-20-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donmobay View Post
    >first... you had an infection..
    Of course, I had an infection. Now I understand this. This was the reason of pain.

that is supposed to heal first before work is done...
    Of course.

i dont believe a dentist did a root canal when you had an infection as this is (could be) big problem...
    Correct. During my first visit to another dentist she ordered x-ray. I went to Perfil (Monument area) to do x-ray. After reading the x-ray, she prescribed antibiotics for 5 days (2 pills a day) and informed me that the root canal treatment was the only option. She told me that the total cost would be 5,500 pesos (paid visit by visit in the amounts on my discretion). Then she scheduled the next appointment (in seven days). She did not charge anything for examination and prescribing antibiotics. During my second visit seven days later she ordered and examined the new x-ray. She told me that the infection was almost gone. Same day she started the root canal treatment. She also told me there were three canals in the tooth (this did not affect the total cost). I visited her office multiple times. It was the tooth number seven. She told me it is one of the most difficult molars.

me,, ive been to top practicioners... so i know the ropes and procedures... if he was not good for you. sai la vie
    no matter what the d.r. is not n.y. or hollywood. he is a very good dentist.
    Dr. Morel is obviously an experienced professional. It is possible that he is a knowledgeable and skilful professional. It is possible that he is an honest with other patients. I just describe my experience with him.

his prices are very comfortable..
    It is possible that his prices are fair with other patients. I describe my experience. Three months before visiting Dr. Morel, I contacted by phone another dentist (in Santo Domingo). She asked 500 pesos for a permanent “resina” filling. At that time I had no pain. All I needed was a filling. But I was in process to move to Santiago and ignored her offer. I recently researched insurance plans. I checked the price list with ARS Humano Plan Dental Premium (Humano is one of the most expensive, as I understand). Humano price for simple permanent filling is 585 pesos. Their prices for emergencias (which is a more appropriate description of my visit to Dr. Morel) are even lower (300 pesos). So, I am sure 3,500 pesos Dr. Morel charged me for two (unnecessary) temporary fillings is three-five times higher than he should ask (even if these fillings were needed). I am also sure he was an experienced dentist and understood that I needed antibiotics, then root canal treatment. During my second visit he even mentioned antibiotics as a "possible prophylactic treatment in addition to pain relief medication". However, when I asked him about possibility of infection, he changed the subject. He prescribed me the pain relief medication "Dorixina Fast" (which did not help at all) but did not prescribe any antibiotics. Probably because he realized that prescribing antibiotics and sending a "wealthy" patient to another dentist was not a wise "business" solution.

hablas dos lenguas..
    Yes. He speaks two languages.

doesnt keep you waiting too long.
    Correct.

his office waiting room is used by what appears to be nice class of people.
    Correct. The office atmosphere is excellent. It looks as a nice dental office in U.S.

theres a good book called 'the tooth trip'. read it...
    Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dr. Morel

Dr. Morel told me that he reads dr1. I hope that he will be more careful with other foreigners. So, this post can help his new patients.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast