Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing into the DR, FAQ

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Pib,

There has been more requests for a list of customs brokers. Would the following suggestion be a solution to the problem? List in alphabetical order everyone that you personally can recommend. Include in this list yourself?

Pib
    Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Q: Maybe you could suggest to us the qualities of a 'reputable' custom's broker.
    A: If I could describe it in one word that word would be "word of mouth". Oh darn, that's 3 words.

Things to consider:

*Find out how many years they have been in business. An experienced broker is more likely to know all the nook and crannies of the system. 3 years of experience is a good start.

*Ask for a list of their customers. One or two high-profile customers would be a good sign.

*Use an accredited Customs broker. An accredited broker has a license issued by the Customs Department.

*Talk to their customers and find out their opinion.

Large businesses even check the finances of their brokers, this is a little too much, but if your business is VERY big, and you potentially are a very profitable customer, chances are they will comply.

vpmiami I already explained in another post that was deleted that due to a potential conflict of interest and ethical issues I CANNOT provide names of brokers in this forum

onionhed shipping your bike dissasembled will lower the cost of transport but it will not affect how much you'll pay in duties and taxes. Bikes (if I remember correctly) pay 10% duties, other taxes and fees apply. If it is only one bike and it is small enough to bring it as luggage I suggest you bring it with you.
    Last edited by Pib; 01-23-2003 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think that we may finally slipped one by "PIB"!!!

"Onionhed",you are talking about a motorcycle aren't you? CRIS
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes...a 2000 Indian Chief, about 1600 cc's and weighs about 650# ~ definately not "carry on luggage".

Pib
    Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, then the advice still stands (except for the 10% duties and bringing it in your luggage). As Criss said, you declare one thing and chances are Customs will "readjust" that value.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If the declared value by customs is $25,000 what would I have to pay?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread Pib, thanks a bunch! Answers questions in advance of even asking them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I imported a water ski slalom course a couple years ago. Some guy "helped" me. He was hanging out at the warehouse. We walked a ways over to a dingy office where he threw out all my paperwork, and I paid a small fee (I think RD$200) and he typed up all new papers that did not include the real cost, the cost to ship, insurance, or anything. It did not even properly list the contents.

Customs opened up the boxes, charged me for raw parts (rope, PVC tubes, inflatable balls, etc.

Including the US$100 my "broker" got, I came out slightly ahead of what I had estimated. It took all day. From window to window. I was charged all the things PIB mentioned but my shipment ended up being "valued" a lot less than I paid. This surprised me since I believe customs had a copy of all my original paperwork. The helper was somewho in cahoots with the cashier. The customs guys valued it from a big big book that looked like an ancient all-the-words-in-the-language dictionary and it had to be reviewed by 4 guys independently sitting around a small table. Each had to sign off. I am not a legal resident, but I did import. There is a long post way back in the archives somewhere about the entire experence. The shipping company UPS did all the outbound paperwork. I did nothing in preparation.

Pib
    Goddess
    Post Thanks / Like

Q: If the declared value by customs is $25,000 what would I have to pay?
    A: Would that be US$? I would still need the cost of freight calculate it. I could still try it as an exercise of mental masturbation, but I am not sure whether this type of bikes pays a luxury tax (I am pretty sure it will). I will find out today and be back on this question later today.

Jim, importing into the DR is one of those cases when it is better to have a good lawyer than an airtight alibi. Your case wasn't ordinary, and we all know why.
    Last edited by Pib; 01-23-2003 at 08:07 AM.

Motorcycle MANIAC
    Post Thanks / Like

Onionhead
    Expect to pay a minimum of 100,000 pesos,in 2000 the price of getting a 1999 1200 sportster out of customs at Puerto Plata airport was 80000 pesos.You should consider shipping it air freight as I have found less hassle than going ship container,customs at airport are easier to deal with,probably because they have less traffic.
    Good luck
    Johnny

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast