Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needed: English to Spanish professional translation

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Needed: English to Spanish professional translation

Hi,

From time to time and especially today I need to get marketing messages and ad copy translated into Spanish, only to find that it is not as easy as you would think if you've never tried it.

For example today I am trying to a simple confirmation letter for a timeshare compaign and I am stuck on phrases like "old fashioned hospitality" and "Open House"

or how 'bout this whopper:

"you are also going to receive two tickets to Arabian Nights dinner show, the show that brings a fairy tale to life on horseback"

I cannot come up with anything that makes sense in Spanish, and the locals who have tried their hand at it have not been able to come up with anything intelligible in Spanish.

They are simply not able to grasp US market-speak and come up with a reasonable Spanish equivelant.

Is anyone aware of a professional service that does this kind of translation?

Snap!
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this do?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    Hi,

From time to time and especially today I need to get marketing messages and ad copy translated into Spanish, only to find that it is not as easy as you would think if you've never tried it.

For example today I am trying to a simple confirmation letter for a timeshare compaign and I am stuck on phrases like "old fashioned hospitality" and "Open House"

(nuestra maravillosa) hospitalidad tradicional

(invitamos a nuestra) jornada de puertas abiertas

or how 'bout this whopper:

"you are also going to receive two tickets to Arabian Nights dinner show, the show that brings a fairy tale to life on horseback"

Usted recibirá dos boletos para nuestro show de cena Noches de Arabia, el espectáculo que revive un cuento de hadas a cabello

I cannot come up with anything that makes sense in Spanish, and the locals who have tried their hand at it have not been able to come up with anything intelligible in Spanish.

They are simply not able to grasp US market-speak and come up with a reasonable Spanish equivelant.

Is anyone aware of a professional service that does this kind of translation?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"usted también recibirá dos billetes a "Arabian Noches" la exposición de la cena, la exposición que trae un cuento de hadas a la vida a caballo"

Is this close?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    If you want someone to do this for you, I have a friend who is a legally certified translator. Cost is about RD$500/double spaced typed page. He can work via e-mail. He's had time in the U.S., so can probably cover those colloquialisms whereever possible. pm if u want his contact info

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

"usted también recibirá dos billetes a" Arabian Noches" exposición de cena, la exposición que trae un cuento de hadas a la vida en la espalda de un caballo"

I think this is a little better.

Snap!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    Mike,
    If you want someone to do this for you, I have a friend who is a legally certified translator. Cost is about RD$500/double spaced typed page. He can work via e-mail. He's had time in the U.S., so can probably cover those colloquialisms whereever possible. pm if u want his contact info
    Mike, you don't need a legally certified translator, only for court documents. By the way, I'll do it just for food.

JR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

no, don't need a certified translator.. but if he's getting bad translations, 400 or 500 pesos isn't much to pay to avoid embarassment.

Mike, how 'bout this.
    "Usted también recibirá dos boletos de la cena espectáculo para la Noche Árabe, el espectáculo que traerá a la vida un cuento de hadas a caballo"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I need someone who is good wth ad copy in Spanish and familiar with all of the marketing terms that hispanic consumers are brainwashed with everyday.

I appreciate all the amateur attempts, but I have already done an amateur job myself and am looking for a professional spanish ad copy writer who can also translate.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
    I need someone who is good wth ad copy in Spanish and familiar with all of the marketing terms that hispanic consumers are brainwashed with everyday.
    Probably fewer amateur attempts if you'd mentioned that in your original post. For what it's worth, the translation I posted was from my friend, the certified translator... but he's an attorney, not in marketing.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes and to give an example of exactly why I need an ad copy professional, the kind of translator I am looking for would know that "Arabian Nights" is the name of the restaurant, and does not need to be translated. We don't see ads for "Viernes's" when TGI Fridays is advertising.

Also it could be my Spanish but to me this phrase in Spanish "el espectáculo que traerá a la vida un cuento de hadas a caballo" seems to be very easy to misunderstand, or perhaps likely to not be understood at all. It's not an easy concept to convey and until I visited the website I didnt know what they were talking about either.

www.arabiannights.com

Quite possibly the phrase should be abandoned alltogether in favor of something easier. But an advertising guy would be able to make a recommendation for a replacement.

It is a daunting task, and this is the first time in my life I have suspected that I may need help translating English to Spanish, I have been speaking Spanish since childhood and considered myself fluent since I was a young teenager.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast