Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Make a Difference to a Child

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Make a Difference to a Child

Thanks to Rob and AE for allowing me to post this.

I live in Puerto Plata and do what I can to help those who have real and documented needs. My latest project is rather different since I normally work with issues that affect larger groups of people. However, this is for a very little girl. Here is her photo:

Isaida Naomi is eleven years old, but as you can see from the photo, she is very tiny - the size of a five or six year old. Her pituitary gland is not functioning correctly and as a result she suffers from a lack of human growth hormone. A pediatric endocrinologist at the Clinica Infantil Dr. Robert Reid Cabral in Santo Domingo has prescribed three years of treatment with Saizen (Serono) .6 mg a day. Unfortunately, this is a very expensive medicine and her family cannot pay the $9,900 pesos a month it costs. The prescription is for three years of medication.

I realize that the total cost is beyond the ability of most people to pay. However, she received, from CONANI, six months of medicine. In that time, she grew six inches! Each month will make a difference.

I am asking the DR1 community to help. Whatever can be obtained will make a measurable difference for this child. She still needs thirty months of medication in order to grow and develop normally. If we could provide several more months of medication, it would be a huge help.

Because of my work, I am in a position to be able to give tax-deductible receipts (US and DR) for donations to this cause. I will provide receipts and will also provide copies of proof of purchase of the medication and, if desired, data on her growth and development. I have available right now digital copies of the prescription, the price quotation and of letter sent to the manufacturer in Santo Domingo in 2010 (which was ignored).

Can we pull together to make a difference in this little girl's life?

2. Likes Big_Poppi2, frank12, waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How would one go about making a contribution?

4. Likes Big_Poppi2 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am in the DR, a contribution could be mailed to my US (Business Mail) address, or I have PayPal.

As it happens, I need to be in the US the next two weeks, so if you PM me, I can send you my personal address in the US where a check can be sent.

I can mail tax-deductible receipts when I return to the DR the middle of May.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post
    How would one go about making a contribution?
    Good question LaProf, is there a Paypal account? Can north coast residents contribute in person somewhere?

[oops! I think we were posting at the same time]

ALTEREGO

Moderator DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I answered above, AE - except that I forgot to mention that those on the North Coast are welcome in my office when I am in the DR. My office is in Puerto Plata, near the cathedral and the former Central Park.

Those from other parts of the DR - I need to work out something - or perhaps Caribe Tours.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If we could get maybe 30 people contribute each 300 pesos every month, it's not much, less than 8 dollars a month, if we can get the group together I am willing to participate in monthly contributions. If the group will not formalize though I will consider a one time contribution.

9. Likes La Profe_1, waytogo, AlterEgo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The prescription is for three years of medication.

I can contribute about 10 dollars a month thru Paypal

Bonao99

11. Likes La Profe_1, waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad my daughter is 5 and and She is taller

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can donate $10 USD monthly via paypal.

14. Likes La Profe_1 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    I can donate $10 USD monthly via paypal.
    me too

16. Likes La Profe_1 liked this post
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast