Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic in the London Olympics

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Republic in the London Olympics

The Dominican Olympic delegation to the London Olympics is 35 athletes participating in 10 sports. This is up from the team of 25 athletes participating in 8 sports in the Beijing Olympics. For the first time, there are more women (20) on the team than men (15). The DR will compete in track and field (11), boxing (3), gymnastics (1), judo (1), shooting (1), swimming (2), taekwondo (1), table tennis (1), weight lifting (2) and volleyball (12).
    Track and Field: The men are Winder Cuevas, Felix Sanchez (400m hurdles), Luguelin Santos (400m), Carlos Jorge (200m), Felix Sanchez, Luguelin Santos, Gustavo Cuesta, Arismendy Peguero, John Soriano and Joel Mejia (4 x 400 m relay) and the women Ildette Lavonne (100 m hurdles), Marielis Sanchez (200 m), Raysa Sanchez (400 m).
    Boxing: William Encarnacion (bantamweight), Wellington Arias (lightweight), Junior Castillo (middleweight).
    Gymnastics: Yamilet Pena (women)
    Judo: Maria Garcia (52 kg)
    Shooting: Sergio Pinero (trap)
    Swimming: Nicolas Schwab (200 m freestyle), female swimmer Dorian McMenemy (100 m butterfly)
    Table Tennis: Luis Lin Ju (men’s singles)
    Taekwondo: Yulis Gabriel Mercedes
    Weightlifting: Yuderkis Contreras (53 kg), Beatriz Piron (women)
    Volleyball: Women players are Candida Estefany Arias, Milagros Cabral, Brenda Castillo, Bethania de la Cruz, Karla Echenique, Lisvel Mejia, Gina Mambru, Niverka Marte, Sidarka Nunez, Priscila Rivera, Cindy Rondon, Annerys Vargas.
    Last edited by Dolores; 08-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.

2. Likes Yumnuk, Aguaita29 liked this post
    dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

what is "track and field"? like, running?
    i wish them best of luck

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish them all well it should be a great time here in London.

Where are they training/preparing in the UK.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best chances for medals for Dominican Republic in the London 2012 Olympics

Luisin Mejia, president of the Dominican Olympic Committee, calls to watch four Dominican athletes for their high chances of winning medals in the London 2012 Olympics to take place 27 July-12 August.
    The best hopes for the Dominican Republic’s 35 athlete strong team are:
    Gabriel Mercedes (silver medalist in Beijing 2008) in taekwondo. He is training in Spain prior to traveling to London.
    Yudelkys Contreras in weight lifting, who is training in Santo Domingo.
    Runner Luguelin Santos, 400 m.
    Yamilet Pena, in artistic gymnastics.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be willing them on. It is a shame there is so much negativity around the olympics, all the drama about the missile bases being homed from the roof of residents homes, I can kind of understand I suppose, I wouldn't want the military telling me my home had to be made into a missile base for the sakes of an event that was not benefitting me.
    Also this crazy battle about express lanes through the city, and not to mention the entire security contract being scratched and the military brought in to cover the contract, which is extremely embarrassing for some.
    Maybe at some point we will get to appreciate some positives about having these games in London, such as..................

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are in London, please report back on anything you hear about the Dominicans at the Olympics.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    what is "track and field"? like, running?
    i wish them best of luck
    track and field covers a wide range of sports / events. "Track" is the running, (sprints, middle distance and distance, hurdles, etc.), although I'm not really sure if marathon, which is not actually run ON the track falls into that category... but probably so. "Field" comprises things like the throwing and jumping events... javelin, shot-put, hammer, discus, etc., plus long jump, high jump, pole-vault, etc.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    I'll be willing them on. It is a shame there is so much negativity around the olympics, all the drama about the missile bases being homed from the roof of residents homes, I can kind of understand I suppose, I wouldn't want the military telling me my home had to be made into a missile base for the sakes of an event that was not benefitting me.
    Also this crazy battle about express lanes through the city, and not to mention the entire security contract being scratched and the military brought in to cover the contract, which is extremely embarrassing for some.
    Maybe at some point we will get to appreciate some positives about having these games in London, such as..................
    This always happens. On the positive the Olympic Torch Relay has been a great success with huge crowds all over the country from Land's End to John o'Groats as we like to say!

dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

poland is sending a massive team and i hope to see some gold
    i can only wish dominicans will support their team like my dad supports ours. whenever we win and the polish anthem is played my old man stands up and cries
    go polaks!
    go dominicanos!

12. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast