Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominicans and Puerto Ricans

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley D
    Deelt,

Ese comentario....estoy totalmente de acuerdo contigo. So little words captured it all.

Saludos,

Lesley D

===========

PD Kami,

You are getting excellent input from everyone here. I hope your project goes well and if you can please share your findings with us. All the best!

-Lesley D
    Let me first say that i have been getting excellent input from all of you guys... and not only from Dominicans themselves but to those Puerto Ricans who shared some of their experiiences with me and the rest of this message board... Thanx to all

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dominican and Puerto Ricans

Its my belief that racism plays a significant role in the relationship between Puerto ricans and Dominicans living in the states. I am Cuban-American. Its interesting how my fellow Cubans react to my having a Dominican husband. Doesn't help that he is very educated, ambitious, and respectful young man. Unfortunately, our beloved country has pitted these people against one another. In New York, they live side by side, under the same deplorable conditions, but yet, they have a dislike for one another. Its like placing a crabs in a pot of hot water. Once in the water, they're pulling each other in.
    I also believe, as someone stated in a previous post, Puerto Ricans are free to travel to and from PR to the states, and receive benefits. But yet in still, they live among people, who do not have that same priviledge. Where I live, there has been an influx of Dominicans opening businesses throughout the city, where once Puerto Ricans dominated. I hope with forums such as this, could help alleviate tension between the two groups. Besides, both Dominicans and Puerto Ricans have contributed greatly to our American Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by kami
    I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Default United we stand, divided we fall

Okay.... I just read through this whole thread and it's quite upsetting. I'm not Dominican nor Puerto Rican or latina from any other ethnic group/nationality. I'm an african american female from Detroit, who lived in Washington Heights New York for the last 8 years and is often mistaken for Dominican due to my skin color and hair texture.

I just want to say.... that instead of fighting each other (latino vs latino) why not come together. As you know the U.S. is a very racist country and will try their best to divide and catorgorize you, but when it comes right down to it..... they're looking at all latinos the same. Much like the way they look at all black people with the same eye. It doesn't matter if you're Jamaican, Senegalese, Haitian or African American...... YOU'RE BLACK!!!! And will be treated as such.

I realized every group has they're own issues and everyone to some degree is racist or discriminates, but when it's all said and done...... we're all the same. And we pretty much want the same things out of life.

I have dated both PR s and DRs and have many dominican friends as well as puerto rican friends and have been to both nations. As an outsider looking in, I see many similarities between the two so much so that it would be a shame to let the small differences divide you.

I don't know.... call me crazy...... Hey what do I know...... I'm not latina.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I find it very strange that an "African American" refers to

"other" Americans as "THEY"! If we are "They",who the hell are "You"??
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon
    "other" Americans as "THEY"! If we are "They",who the hell are "You"??

When I refer to they, I'm referring to white america. Growing up in the U.S. as an African American there has always been a they. They are the ones that started the discrimination and light skin/dark skin and wavy hair/kinky hair issue to begin with. Unfortunately.... we (meaning people of color) throughout the world continue it.
    Last edited by dlstinnett; 12-14-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default love both

Quote Originally Posted by kami
    I live in MA and I am currently attending Westfield State College. I have to do a research project and i planned to do it on racism among latinos. More specifically, I am basing it on the Puerto Ricans and Dominicans... SO, i was wondering if any of ya wanna give ur opinions based on this subject... thank you
    I was born in Puerto rico, my parents are dominicans and I was raised in both countries. I love both cultures, I feel 100% dominican and 100% puertorican. When I was in PR people used to make fun of my dominican accent and I was bullied at school. When I moved to Dominican Republic 5 years later the same story happens my dominican friends make fun of my accent and once again I was bullied at schoot. I would like to add that dominicans descrimiantes among themselves according to how dark they are. My dad is a black dominican and my mother is white with green eyes. I have seen how dominicans treat my mother ( la blanquita) and how my dad has been treated by his own people. so before we judged other cultures ...let's take care of our own problems first.
    yansser

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Puerto Ricans and Dominicans

As a Puerto Rican, I find a lot of what is being posted here incorrect. Puerto Ricans share many similarities as Dominicans. In a lot of ways we are closely linked. However, there are some significant differences and good reasons for making clear distinctions. As I read these posts, I am somewhat surprised by some of the blatant bias expressed towards Puerto Ricans. This is the deal.... Puerto Ricans have made MAJOR contributions to the overall social, ecpnomic, and political well-being of diverse Latino communities in NYC. From bi-lingual education to child welfare, Puero Ricans have led the way for a better life for subsequent Latino groups. Dominicans have benefited from many of the accomplishments of Puerto Ricans. I think we need to review history a bit and check the facts versus our own subjective opinions/experiences.

A good reference is a new text entitled Boricuas in Gotham. It's an excellent source of info on the significant ways in which Puerto Ricans have supported many Latinos- including Dominicans.

The Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund will release a report today related to the lack of Latinos in Senior Leadership positions in NYC hospitals. This is directly contributing to the poor quality of healthcare many Latinos receive in NYC. Another example of how we are pushing an agenda for the betterment of Latinos in NYC. I think we should focus on commonalties and what we all need to achieve versus silly comparisons that only benefit non-Latinos.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking PRs & DRs

This is a very broad subject; it happens in many geographical areas, not just the Caribbean. Japanese have beef with Koreans, with Chinese and every other Asian Pacific nationalities; all in turn dislike "westerners". I lived in Korea, Japan, visited many places in Asia and everywhere I've set foot in, I've encountered certain locals, who due to their lack of understanding of other cultures, tend to think of you and the rest like you as nothing but garbage;I'm not generalizing here, not all are ignorant. On the other hand, I've also encountered westerner friendlies. It seems that it's even more hostile if you share borders with some other country. Indians and Pakistanian are a prime example. They've been hating each other over a region, Kashmere. Wars between nations deepen hostile sentiments for one another. Their psyops (psychological operations), portray their enemies as "the evil empire". I remember how many ignorant people in US where bashing the heads of turban wearing shieks thinking that arabs were going to pay for 9.11. for those that don't know, these are in majority indians not Saudis, not Iraquis. We don't have to go far to see racial hostilities. I stopped visiting a family member in Kentucky because some of their neighbors were burning crosses on her lawn. There are many culture sensitivity courses out there, perhaps we should start a non lucrative org.

" Fundacion Internacional para Erradicar la Ignorancia Racial entre Platanos y boricuas "

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Mario

Yes, Boricus in Gotham is an excellent reference. Angelo Falcon keeps doing a kickass job and is among the book's authors. I always love reading his work. He is also one of the leading poli. sci. thinkers without a doubt. You are right that this is more the type of work that I assume Kami is also reading to prepare his/her paper.

Most comments being made here are just general perceptions and based on their own personal experience. At the end of the day I agree that the legitimizing stereoptypes of either group is not a good thing. However, we need to recognize that hurtful, ignorant comments can be said from either side and this is an area where behavioral change will be welcomed.

Best,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    As a Puerto Rican, I find a lot of what is being posted here incorrect. Puerto Ricans share many similarities as Dominicans. In a lot of ways we are closely linked. However, there are some significant differences and good reasons for making clear distinctions. As I read these posts, I am somewhat surprised by some of the blatant bias expressed towards Puerto Ricans. This is the deal.... Puerto Ricans have made MAJOR contributions to the overall social, ecpnomic, and political well-being of diverse Latino communities in NYC. From bi-lingual education to child welfare, Puero Ricans have led the way for a better life for subsequent Latino groups. Dominicans have benefited from many of the accomplishments of Puerto Ricans. I think we need to review history a bit and check the facts versus our own subjective opinions/experiences.

A good reference is a new text entitled Boricuas in Gotham. It's an excellent source of info on the significant ways in which Puerto Ricans have supported many Latinos- including Dominicans.

The Puerto Rican Legal Defense Fund will release a report today related to the lack of Latinos in Senior Leadership positions in NYC hospitals. This is directly contributing to the poor quality of healthcare many Latinos receive in NYC. Another example of how we are pushing an agenda for the betterment of Latinos in NYC. I think we should focus on commonalties and what we all need to achieve versus silly comparisons that only benefit non-Latinos.

Post Thanks / Like

Default domicoboricua

que tal si fundamos la asociasion dominicoboricua?????

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast