Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Dominicans in Haiti(surprise, surprise)...

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Dominicans in Haiti(surprise, surprise)...

    I just saw a program on one of the spanish news stations here in NYC and there seems to be a backwards migration of dominicans who go to Haiti of all places to find work.

    3 people were interviewed-a doctor, a DJ and a hair stylist.

    The dominican doctor is married to a native haitian, also a doctor, and together they have the first(or one of the first) MRI clinics in all of Haiti.

    The dominican hair stylist, one of about about 600 in Port-Au-Prince, says that she makes in salary and tips the equivalent of around $1,200 US dollars a month. She says she does very well with tips there, better than in the DR.

    And the DJ didn't say much, only that he was working and saving money to buy a house back home.

    They all made it clear that they wanted to go back to the DR one day, but that is understandable because even the dominicans here in NYC say the same thing.

    The doctor said that there are many dominicans in Haiti working as doctors, engineers and hair stylists among other professions. Whatever their profession is, she said, the just transplant their skills over to Haiti.

    I found this very interesting as I've never heard of this sort of thing going on.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #2
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    15,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I know of a Dominican beautician who lives and works for rich clients in Petionville, a Dominican woman married to a rich Haitian, they also live in luxury in Petionville, and many many prostitutes, also catering for an upper class clientele. Many Dominicans also do business in Haiti, which is an important market for the DR.

  3. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    When I was in Port-au-Prince this May I met a couple of Dominican businessmen representing some firm selling something mechanical. They knew many others doing business there. There are still European and North American businesspeople there, so why no Dominicans?
    And yes, the other type of 'working' Dominicans too... In Pétionville I passed this establishment:

    Notice the advertisement, 'solo Dominicana'....

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Haiti may be poor, but it seems as if people still manage to do well there. Does anyone know if the dominicans who go there to work are fluent in the haitian language, or is spanish enough to get by until they learn?

  5. #5
    I didn't last long...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,151
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Lo perdiste?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    I just saw a program on one of the spanish news stations here in NYC and there seems to be a backwards migration of dominicans who go to Haiti of all places to find work.

    3 people were interviewed-a doctor, a DJ and a hair stylist.

    The dominican doctor is married to a native haitian, also a doctor, and together they have the first(or one of the first) MRI clinics in all of Haiti.

    The dominican hair stylist, one of about about 600 in Port-Au-Prince, says that she makes in salary and tips the equivalent of around $1,200 US dollars a month. She says she does very well with tips there, better than in the DR.

    And the DJ didn't say much, only that he was working and saving money to buy a house back home.

    They all made it clear that they wanted to go back to the DR one day, but that is understandable because even the dominicans here in NYC say the same thing.

    The doctor said that there are many dominicans in Haiti working as doctors, engineers and hair stylists among other professions. Whatever their profession is, she said, the just transplant their skills over to Haiti.

    I found this very interesting as I've never heard of this sort of thing going on.

    Any thoughts?
    I guess you didn't get the "memo"....

    Dominicans are EVERYWHERE!!. Even in Jupiter!.

    There are Dominicans doing pretty well in Haiti.

    It's also infected with Dominican prostitutes.

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well I was writting a nice message but It disapear, sorry

  7. #7
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    I just saw a program on one of the spanish news stations here in NYC and there seems to be a backwards migration of dominicans who go to Haiti of all places to find work.

    3 people were interviewed-a doctor, a DJ and a hair stylist.

    The dominican doctor is married to a native haitian, also a doctor, and together they have the first(or one of the first) MRI clinics in all of Haiti.

    The dominican hair stylist, one of about about 600 in Port-Au-Prince, says that she makes in salary and tips the equivalent of around $1,200 US dollars a month. She says she does very well with tips there, better than in the DR.

    And the DJ didn't say much, only that he was working and saving money to buy a house back home.

    They all made it clear that they wanted to go back to the DR one day, but that is understandable because even the dominicans here in NYC say the same thing.

    The doctor said that there are many dominicans in Haiti working as doctors, engineers and hair stylists among other professions. Whatever their profession is, she said, the just transplant their skills over to Haiti.

    I found this very interesting as I've never heard of this sort of thing going on.

    Any thoughts?
    This is nothing new, there are Arabs, Chinese, Colombians, and Americans living in Haiti too, who knows, there might be some Puerto Ricans too.

    BTW, its 600 Dominicans in Petionville, not in Port-au-Prince proper. This makes sense since many of the Dominicans that do move to Haiti do so to cater to the Haitian upper class, most of whom live in Petionville, Kenscoff, etc. and not in Port-au-Prince proper.

    Also, she said that she makes US$1,000 not US$1,200 a month and she didn't said anything about making better tips than in the DR, although that would be obvious given her decision to move to Petionville. However, she didn't said that.

    According to some estimates, there are about 10,000 to 15,000 Dominicans living Haiti. That's hardly enough people to indicate what you call a "backwards migration", especially when its compared to the 1 million estimated Haitians in the DR, the 300,000 Dominicans in Puerto Rico, the 4 million Puerto Ricans in the US mainland, etc.

    The overall migration flow is from west to east or directly to the north.

    Again, its nothing knew. Those Dominicans that move to Haiti are what can be considered "nichers", they see a good business opportunity that may cater to a particular lucrative niche and they take advantage of it.

    The same can be said of well to do Haitians, Americans, British, etc living in Santo Domingo or Santiago and operating their own business.

    -NALs

  8. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    786
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    Does anyone know if the dominicans who go there to work are fluent in the haitian language, or is spanish enough to get by until they learn?
    I suppose with 'the haitian language' you mean Kreyňl. I reckon most foreigners in Haiti first get by in French, the other official language of the country, before learning Kreyňl. The Dominicans I met spoke some French. But educated Haitians often also speak Spanish. It depends on their profession I suppose, but you couldn't just go to Haiti and expect everyone to understand your Spanish.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,668
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for clearing all that up, Nals. I guess I got a few of the facts wrong. But the report was a surprise only because when you see the news media coverage they never, EVER talk about a haitian middle or upper class, nor the business opportunities that exist there.

    All you see are these poor, pathetic souls running around rioting, starving or living like animals. Thats' why you must always question what you are told regardless of the source.

    I am definitely interested in visiting Haiti now.

  10. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzin View Post
    Thanks for clearing all that up, Nals. I guess I got a few of the facts wrong. But the report was a surprise only because when you see the news media coverage they never, EVER talk about a haitian middle or upper class, nor the business opportunities that exist there.

    All you see are these poor, pathetic souls running around rioting, starving or living like animals. Thats' why you must always question what you are told regardless of the source.

    I am definitely interested in visiting Haiti now.
    Berzin what facts did you get wrong in your OP? Seems to me your thread was clear and only reflected what the program stated. Nothing in your thread was factually incorrect.

    bolding mine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •