Page 70 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Conditioning of Dominicans through History?? What Do You Think??

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by greydread View Post
    DUH!!

That explains trailer parks and 80% of the welfare recipients in the USA. The folks on Jerry Springer and People's Court.

Like I said before, these are the people I go to the D.R. to get away from. They hate themselves so it's just natural for them to hate everyone else.
    Well now that we have this sector of the white population covered, I suppose the ones with the silver spoon in their mouth hate blacks too? This sure doesn't leave a lot left - at least per your calculations.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elbachatero6504 View Post
    There is a general distaste for things that are more African and thus Haitian, or Haitian and thus African. to.
    I really dont think that attitudes about Haitians in 2010, with Balaguer and Trujillo no longer beating that drum, can be used as evidence of colorism/racism in the DR.

Show me any nation with large numbers of illegals from a nearby impoverished nation and one will find issues. Haiti vs DR. DR vs PR. Jamaica vs Cayman. Haiti vs Bahamas, Guyana vs Barbados, etc. They pose, or are perceived to pose a social and economic threat.

The debate about colorism should be confined to issues among Dominicans or various colors.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    I agree with you: Some, but not the majority, but you could say the same thing about the DR.

Of course, yes.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Major448 View Post
    I think the point is that although the racial makeup is similar, the racial history and "challenges" are not similar.

I have also been ... to many places where I am considered "complimentary white" because I am from a wealthy and educated country. And because I have more wealth and education than many locals. (Have you ever heard someone say "oh, but you're different"?) Because of that, I may not see exactly what the locals experience.

BTW .. I hate that term 'complimentary white' ...
    I had never heard that term before. But, yes, even in the US, I get the "Oh, but you are different in the US" all the times. I have had job, that I am convinced I wouldn't have gotten if I were African-American. Why? I have a French accent, I grew up in Paris and so on. So, it is not always economics.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Greydread, I stongly disagree with you (I have been to both places). You can't base your judgement on Miami exiles community. Again, in Cuba, it is not a taboo subject (mind you, the average Cuban is lot more educated about its island and the world than the average Dominican)

If you ever visit Cuba, people will welcome you with open arms the same way they do in the DR.
    I am not talking about Floridians. I am talking about Cubans, born and raised after years of having firsthand experiences with them in many locations, all over the world, some of which were marked "worldwide, classified" on my orders.

Some will definitely "welcome me with open arms". Others...not so much. It will never be the same as the DR. Dominicans are unique amongst Latin cultures yet seem to adapt to other Latin as well as Non-Latin cultures with relative ease, especially in comparison with Cubans. That's not the gospel, it's just my observation.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Greydread, I stongly disagree with you (I have been to both places). You can't base your judgement on Miami exiles community. Again, in Cuba, it is not a taboo subject (mind you, the average Cuban is lot more educated about its island and the world than the average Dominican)

If you ever visit Cuba, people will welcome you with open arms the same way they do in the DR.
    I will agree that Cubans in Cuba are very friendly. I haven't had too much interaction with Cubans in Miami, but I can attest that my sister in law, a white (very white) Cuban is friendly, not racist in anyway, nor is her family. But I've met many Cubans that say that the government has a glass ceiling for black people.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Well now that we have this sector of the white population covered, I suppose the ones with the silver spoon in their mouth hate blacks too? This sure doesn't leave a lot left - at least per your calculations.
    They (Bubba-n-dem) don't represent a color so much as they represent a class. They represent a very small sector of the Euro American population (no calculation necessary) and I never run into them in my line of work. Probably because I work.

"Silver spoon" types tend to get a lot of the Political Appointee positions in Washington and I do have many dealings with them and oddly enough, regardless of politics most seem fairly open minded and tend care more about the validity of ideas and solutions than their source.

Then there's the other 70% who work shoulder to shoulder with me, collaborate, innovate and sometimes accompany me fishing, golfing, hunting and on trips to the Caribbean. They wouldn't think very much of where you're trying to go with this "follow and flame" act of yours either. Just so you know.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Greydread....

I am not sure about your point.

I lived in Asheville, NC.. where the public schools were finally integrated under FEDERAL court order in 1976!

My point is that

The comparism of the racism in the US .. which really was an apartheid system...

to the subtle sort of classism, colorism , and nationalism that exists here in the DR

is not valid// imho
    completely agree.

only in the u.s. did i experience what it is to be typecast and discriminated against....prejudged because of my skin color, no matter my form of dress, talk, education, etc. to some people a n*gger is still a n*gger.

in the DR when a black person is well dressed and well spoken they can get in just about anywhere and get some basic respect. a black person in a fancy car is just that. in the u.s. a black in a fancy car=prepare to be pulled over by the cops and searched to hell and back, because black people aint 'sposed to have nothin nice, apparently, even if theyve worked for it their whole life.

in the u.s. i found no matter what i dress or speak like, my skintone immediately conjures up mentions of ghetto african american slang, hip hop, volatile tempers, etc. i have had to deal w being typified as "one of the slightly different ones" and it is new and uncomfortable. i have to deal w all the backhanded "youre so well spoken for someone like you" comments.....

basically i feel like i get little to no credit until it dawns on them that i am from another country. then, like africaida, i get the "youre one of the different blacks" pass. and it doesnt feel right.

americans are awesome at making people feel like outcasts. we dont do that in the DR. black or white, asian, whatever, we take you in.
    Last edited by POPNYChic; 11-02-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POPNYChic View Post
    basically i feel like i get little no credit until it dawns on them that i am from another country. then, like africaida, i get the "youre one of the different blacks" pass. and it doesnt feel right. .
    So true and well said (It makes me so uncomfortable)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard that term before. But, yes, even in the US, I get the "Oh, but you are different in the US" all the times. I have had job, that I am convinced I wouldn't have gotten if I were African-American. Why? I have a French accent, I grew up in Paris and so on. So, it is not always economics.
    Just to clarify ... I am not saying that I am wealthy. Just more than many locals.

I am familiar with the history of where you originate, and the story of a man who visited Egypt, and who took some gold along as a gift. He gave away so much gold -- as gifts -- that the entire monetary system of Egypt was put in jeopardy. Now THAT'S wealth!!!

Page 70 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast