Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Third World or Second World ???

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Third World or Second World ???

We had this discussion the other night and the consensus at the table was that RDi not a 3rd world country, but is a 2nd world country.

Third world is much more 'lacking' than RD.

RD offers many things not available in the 3rd world.

Whatchathink??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What defines a 2nd or a 3rd world country? Is a based on the financial/economic structure of the country?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an obsolete definition. 2nd world used to mean the Communist bloc countries. Now the terms people use include basket case/failed state, underdeveloped countries, developing countries, emerging economies. The DR is probably hovering between developing country and emerging economy.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    It's an obsolete definition. 2nd world used to mean the Communist bloc countries. Now the terms people use include basket case/failed state, underdeveloped countries, developing countries, emerging economies. The DR is probably hovering between developing country and emerging economy.
    Just my luck - obsolete!! Thats me !!

But you are basically agreeing that that RD is higher up the scale than we give it credit for.
    That was the thrust of the dinner discussion. We didn't like being seen as or referred to as some of the more 'desperate' countries in the world.

Thereis electricity here (sporadic, but here) public transportation (subway), decent road systems and communictions. In short, and infastructure which many other countries do NOT have.

Maybe its time to reinstate the term - 2nd world. "im sure we can think of other countries that qualify

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

On a moral front a country is judged on how it treats it weakest members, the most vulnerable, those it could and should help. On a moral standing the Dominican Republic is nowhere, a third world lost in itself.
    On an economical front it is developing country operating well above its moral standings and could be great but will never gain a credible status until finds a balance, and it will not do that until the weights are moved. The country is luxury by international standards where it wants to be, and can be whatever it wants to be. Anyone calling DR a 3rd world country has been sold a sympathy, not a reality.
    3rd world sells better, so 3rd world it will stay!

6. Likes GinzaGringo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was in Haiti I had a long time American resident tell me the DR was 2nd world and Haiti 3rd world.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't get over the way people need these terms to define things. Living in the country, it is obvious the conditions are not that bad. Poverty is not third world poverty. Crazy tourists love it, and that will keep it as that, so be it. But it is a hustling, intelligent, money making opportunists dream if you can buy your way through all the bullsh1t to smell the coffee!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I think for most of us who live here we could care less of any designations by others. Still it is useful when fielding question from friends and families as to why one would choose to live in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    When I was in Haiti I had a long time American resident tell me the DR was 2nd world and Haiti 3rd world.
    Thats where we were at dinner, Chip.
    Saying just that - referring to Haiti as a perfect, nearby example of a 'more dire' situation.

I don't think we need to be as esoteric as giveadogahome, but I DO think a reclassification is called for.

Post Thanks / Like

A "Narco State",soon to be a "Failed State"!
    CC
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

12. Likes Randall Bell liked this post
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast