Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aeropuerto internacional "Jose Francisco Pena Gomez" why?

leonardo1267

Default Aeropuerto internacional "Jose Francisco Pena Gomez" why?

I totally disagree with the change of name to our most important Airport to "Jose Francisco Pena Gomez" as far as I know Pena Gomez did absolutelly nothing to be worthy of such an honor.

It is not a secret that Pena Gomez and his henchmen were involved in a lot of shady business with Colombian & Dominican drug dealers, this fact was mention in a document from the DEA.

Everybody knows that one of his failed political campaign was mostly finance with drug money and this is well known fact.

so, In what grounds was this name given to our airport?

leonardo1267

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

translate the name to english and you will know why the called it after him, he is a dick head. LOL

"If anyone Wud! Wud Wud"
    Super Moderator
    www.DR1.com

The thread finally snapped...
    Post Thanks / Like

The airport was named after the most gifted politician the D.R. has had this side of Isa Conde.
    But I understand your pain, for I also cringe when I hear the terms 'Bush International in Houston', or 'Ronald Reagan Intl in D.C.'
    Peña Gómez was--along with Juan Bosch--a 20th century colossus in D.R. politics. Naming an airport in his honor is the least we can do; schools, roads, bridges and the likes, should also be named after him.

Joseíto

leonardo1267

Joseito, you did not answers the drug issues that he was involved.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

never mind that in 1984 his theft of the mosquitos eradication monies when he purchase over 155 suits, that is what we want of public-servants? I had to spend a great sum on medical bills due o the infestation in the city of Santo Domingo.it is a tragedy that this man who is not a Dominican , but a Hatian got a great support from the Alvarez, fix his paper as to HIS CITIZENSHIP.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I disliked the JFK sweep of public places, and I loved the man...I thoroughly dislike the Reagan Airport, especially since he was the one that clobbered the ATC people!! Irony or sarcasm??
    As for Peña??? I have to agree: He was corrupt beyond imagination, desperate to attain office, sold his soul to the cartels. He was a failed person, out of touch with reality, and tremendously popular with the poor and ignorant who could have cared less if he was Haitian or not. According to locals in Mao he was not born in DR territory.... Neither he nor Bosch merit much contemplation in the overall study of Dominican History since they never accomplished much...As the revisionists try, they will be exaulted to gigantic proportions, but the thinkers know what they really were.

HB

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hillbilly,

I'd like to know: 1. Was Dr. Jose Francisco Pena (please forgive the missing tildes on the letters 'e' and 'n' - my laptop is not accepting cookies or following orders right now) Gomez (that one too) born in Mao? And, in your opinion, 2. Who are the 'thinkers' you're referring to in your last post?

Thanks.
    -Indie

ditz
    Post Thanks / Like

Indie,

According to what I've read, Peña had a historian trace his family roots to prove his Dominican nationality. The historian published a book on this, which showed that Peña's Haitian parents lived near Navarrete, where Peña was born. When he was just a baby, however, the parents fled to Haiti in the turmoil of the Haitian massacre of 1937. He was then adopted and raised by a Dominican family.

Regarding the "why" of the airport naming, I'm thinking PRD-bolstering, political-payoff motivations, rather than pure homage to the man himself, although I bet the general masses are not against having an airport named after him.

While we are on the subject, if Peña was as bad as all that, was he held accountable for any of his actions along with the rest of the Jorge Blanco government?
    Last edited by Jane J.; 01-07-2003 at 08:57 AM.

The thread finally snapped...
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bosch and Peña Gómez...

Dominican psyche and culture are based on a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude.
    It seems that people have forgotten that professor Bosch founded the PRD and the PLD, two parties that have ascended to positions of power. And while today's PRD is very corrupt, let's not forget that Balaguer's own Partido Reformista, and PRSC, have had their share of corrupt individuals within their ranks.
    In essence, power begets corruption.
    But to measure Bosch's and P. Gómez's greatness, or lack thereof, by their accomplishments (reaching the presidency, by Dominican standards, that is) is analogous to considering Benjamin Franklin and Leon Trotsky political failures.

As the late Speaker of the House, Tip O'Neill, used to say: all politics is local. But this assertion takes a deeper meaning in D.R. politics. The people's perceived closeness to important politicos contributes to one-sided opinions. While the opposition may dislike a certain individual, say, Amable Aristy, someone else whom may have benefited by personally obtaining Dr. Aristy's signature for purposes that range from getting a cemetery plot to applying for a U.S. visa, may, indeed, think the world of him.

Is is a sad commentary on our society when we allow "thinkers" to dictate to us what amounts to be brainwashing disguised as demagoguery. And this is not just a Dominican phenomenon, for there is a new generation of Chileans that look down on Salvador Allende; a generation that has been brainwashed.

The post-Trujillo era has been dominated by Balaguer, Bosch and Peña Gómez. They were not dictators or criminals--like Trujillo and Pinochet--but leaders of a people. They deserve our respect.

-Joseíto
    Don't believe the hype!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Jane J.,

What you read is right on target, though I'd say, specifically, that Pena Gomez was born in Hato Nuevo, Guayacanes (Provincia Valverde) on March 6, 1937 to Haitian parents. Once his parents fled, Pena, an infant, was left to be cared for by a young relative and was later adopted by a family who lived in Mao. These people were Regino Pena and Fermina Gomez.

Now if locals in Mao want to dispute and refute that, I guess in the DR they have every right to do so, and could. We love a rigged game, boy. Yes, Pena Gomez had Haitian ancestry through his parents, but that should not-and did not-disqualify him from becoming a great political leader--leader of one of the strongest political parties until recently in the Dominican Republic. If so, that same "obstacle" then, should have applied to our last former dictator of thirty-one years, Rafael L. Trujillo, who had Haitian ancestry through his mother, the former Ms. Chevalier. And Joaquin Balaguer, also, like Trujillo, had Haitian ancestry through his mother, who was a cousin of Ulysses Heureux (Lilis)-yet another dictator, a Black himself, and of Haitian descent.

I don't believe Pena Gomez was held accountable for any charges brought against him (if any), but I could be wrong. Yet I do know that this man was a voice for the oppressed, and a staunch defender of the poor. Pena Gomez helped incite a 1965 popular rebellion against the army, which had ousted leftist leader Juan Bosch two years earlier. But the uprising was soon quelled when US President Lyndon B. Johnson--fearing a Cuban-style revolution--sent in troops and installed a conservative puppet President. Years later, Pena Gomez tried for the country's top post, but his 1996 presidential hopes were foiled by racist flyers depicting him as an ape sitting on a throne and by alleged voter fraud. And all this was, of course, set up by Mr. Machiavelli himself, el do'tor Joaquin Balaguer.

For Pena Gomez, the least we could do as a country and out of respect for this man's memory, I think, is name an airport after him. And my personal feelings about Dominican politics in general also echo Joseito's post entirely.

-Indie
    Leonardo1267, I'm not done yet.
    Last edited by Indie; 01-09-2003 at 09:43 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast