Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US cell phone works in Punta Cana???

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default US cell phone works in Punta Cana???

I just got back from a weeks vacay in Punta Cana. Had family come in from the US and decided Punta Cana would be best. Anyway one of my family members has service with AT&T and while they were in Punta Cana they were able to use their cell to call and send texts. On their phone it came up saying Orange network. Just curious though if they will be paying at a "roaming" price for these calls and texts. I have no experience/knowledge of this so if anyone knows I would appreciate it. Thanks much!!!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    I just got back from a weeks vacay in Punta Cana. Had family come in from the US and decided Punta Cana would be best. Anyway one of my family members has service with AT&T and while they were in Punta Cana they were able to use their cell to call and send texts. On their phone it came up saying Orange network. Just curious though if they will be paying at a "roaming" price for these calls and texts. I have no experience/knowledge of this so if anyone knows I would appreciate it. Thanks much!!!!
    Be prepared for the largest AT&T bill you have ever seen!
    Standard roaming charges with no international roaming plan cost you $2.29 a minute from DR.
    Text messages are .50/message.

Good luck!

tambo'

3. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    SKY
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

They will pay big time, believe me.

5. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    Be prepared for the largest AT&T bill you have ever seen!
    Standard roaming charges with no international roaming plan cost you $2.29 a minute from DR.
    Text messages are .50/message.

Good luck!

tambo'
    Indeed...roaming charges are killer if you are unaware.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My Verizon phone issues me a warning about the cost of RD roaming - therefore I never sign up.

It wasn't aproblem until last year b/c Verizon and Claro were both mexican (Carlos Slim ?)

Now, even w/ Verizon roaming, the cost is prohibitive - Claro was sold and there is no further affiliation.
    At least thats how it was explained to me.

Better to buy a cheapie phone and minutes.

8. Likes cobraboy, keepcoming liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Your family member is going to pay lots and lots of roaming fees. By the way Orange Telecom, owns a large portion of AT&T stocks, that's why his phone said Orange as his service provider while in Punta Cana.

10. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Hundreds of dollars, they charge you for incoming calls, answered or not...........even if you have the international plan............

12. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by augustus View Post
    Hundreds of dollars, they charge you for incoming calls, answered or not...........even if you have the international plan............
    I don't think they can charge for a call that isn't answered. But I paid no attention one trip and just answered the phone when it rang, and got charged a bit over $300.00 when I got back home.
    They were amenable to letting me pay $100 a month against it though.
    Der Fish

14. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I don't think they can charge for a call that isn't answered. But I paid no attention one trip and just answered the phone when it rang, and got charged a bit over $300.00 when I got back home.
    They were amenable to letting me pay $100 a month against it though.
    Der Fish
    Because I didn't leave my phone off or on airplane mode, I got charged and told I mine as well answered all calls, because I was charged for all of them...........

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Bell Media in Canada and they have an agreement with A T & T and text to Canada was free, this was last February 2011.
    And vocie calls were $2.29 per minute

"If anyone Wud! Wud Wud"
    Super Moderator
    www.DR1.com

17. Likes keepcoming liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast