Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looking for hotel for 1 night stay near Dreams Resort in Punta Cana

Left for a smoke.....
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Mona passage was the piece of water between the DR and PR. I remember someone made mention on one of the trips that there is a spot per say where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic? Didn't we go due east halfway and then run north/south while fishing? Can't remember if this one of Charlies hook-ups, the 2 guys were up on the top bridge burning one up with their full face bandanas on...lol
    Ran across this map, if you click on the east coast you will see the Punta Cana I'm talking about, looks like a seperate icon as the airport is clearly marked. Very misleading. I do know nautica, the fenced in one at the pier, and thought the P/C marina was where the PC icon near the airport is.....and P/C area is pretty much from Cabezza to Macao. Humm
    Thanks for the correction.
    Dominican Republic road map

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

o.k., been on your map.
    what is marked as Punta Cana on that map is the Punta Cana Resort&Club with the Marina Punta Cana.
    that part of the east coast faces the southeast, so loeaving there for fishing would mean to ride towards the mona passage, fishing the area right north of the channel.
    if you watch the same map for the rest of the PC area you will see that cabeza the toro, bavaro, cortecito, macao aso face the north east and are located many miles north of the mona passage area.
    what you call the PC area is the touroperators name for nearly most part of the dominican east coast.
    the real Punta Cana is the area between Juanillo(today better known as Cap Cana after the nutheads took our most beautiful public beach and gace it to the 'investors') til the airport, the next area is named Cabo Enaņo, Cabeza de Toro, Bay of Bavaro, El Cortecito, Arena Gorda, Macao, Uvero Alto.
    but names can be confusing because mixed by visitors and vacation sellers, so Punta Cana is used as the general name for all the above described coastline, Cabeza is the Cabeza de Toro Bay including the Catalonia Bay, Bavaro is named the hotel area from the Barcelo Bavaro Beach til where Macao begins, locals who do not live on the east coast name the whole area Bavaro including the PC and Macao side. north of the bay of Macao we have the rough area named Uvero Alto, that's where those hotels sivory, sirenis, dreams punta cana, excellence are located. of course touroperators sell that area also as vacations in Punta Cana.
    cheers from calm and sunny sunday skies
    Mike

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

F.Y.I.

Here is an explanation of where the Punta Cana name comes from, from those who should know, Grupo PUNTACANA:

The PUNTACANA Name

Gregg

Left for a smoke.....
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh, thanks for the free geo lesson. back a few months ago, OLN had a sailfish tournament series running. Panama,Honduras, CS, and PC were some of the filmed locations. I think this was at the marina you refere to by the airport, showed them unloading at the docks, etc...
    I've traveled most of the east coast when I was a little younger, from Cabezza to Sabana. The small towns I though were the best part of the trip. I was with a Dominican friend so he knew the ropes and the people....only way to go. One of my favorite spots was Macao. The beach and cliffs were awesome. We flew over it in a helidosa in 07 and see they were building a resort by the looks up top of the cliffs.....another nice untouched spot ruined.
    Gregg, nice link, I always wondered why they would call it Cane Point when it's coco's..... Punta Coco?
    I like the original version better...more fitting for the area.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

the construction you saw over Macao is today named the Westin RocoKi resort, will get a top notch Marina there, too, in some years when finished.
    agree on a road trip from bavaro up towards Miches, even better is to take the longer route via higuey-el seybo-sabana de la mar, i do that once in a while with a buddy of mine to spend a night or two near miches where an other friends run s a guesthouse, great tour and that could really be named Punto Borrachon, ha ha.
    Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234