Thread: Nursing Jobs in the Dominican Republic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nursing Jobs in the Dominican Republic

I am a Canadian nurse looking to work in the DR. Anyone have any advice?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DR1 - this question comes up from time to time so I suggest you search the forums and see what answers have been provided in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll save you some time (although it would be well spent)

DON'T even think of it....

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!

I`m new to here, so sorry if I sound like a broken record. I`ve been searching through the forums about nursing in DR, and it seems that most people keep saying to forget about it, because the pay is not worth it.

HOWEVER...I was wondering if there were travel nursing agencies that send nurses to work in DR, and they still get paid the normal North American salaries? I`m a nursing student interested in travel nursing, and Dominican Republic is a beautiful place, where I would love to work if there were Travel Nursing Agencies that send nurses there for contract working.
    If anyone has any information on that sort of thing, it would be much appreciated.
    Thank you very much for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops...I've just stumbled across another thread that mentioned that travel nursing agencies no longer send nurses to Dominican Republic...however that post was three years ago and I'm wondering if things have maybe changed?
    In case anybody wants to tell me, it`s not worth it, "the pay sucks", or I will be treated like a bed-pan pusher, don`t worry about that... I`m looking to experience life and culture for a little while!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how much culture you'll get at the end of a bedpan but have a look at Hogar Immanuel for handicapped children, part of Mustard Seed Communities. Certainly worthwhile work for a disadvantaged group.
    Mustard Seed Communities: Dominican Republic

The poster with the most knowledge about this facility is La Profe_1 - you could maybe PM her?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you would make less than US$ 50/week.
    Why don't you work in the US and live here? It can be done.
    PM SKing, she will give you the best advise about nursing jobs.

The Hun

Post Thanks / Like

haha, well there is such a thing as a day off when I can explore and things like that. I`m not worried about money, I would have enough saved to support my necessities of life.
    Thank you both for your help!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

No nursing travel agency will send you anywhere without at least a year of experience in a BIG hospital (not some small town general hospital). There are NO travel agencies that send to the DR although I have a colleague that when to Aruba...and Hawaii is possible.
    Your best bet is to commute (from DR to USA), it is possible (I do it) but you will not be able to be a travel nurse for a while. Finish your schooling and take your first job at a big name hospital and work 1 year, then you will be ok.
    SHALENA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    No nursing travel agency will send you anywhere without at least a year of experience in a BIG hospital (not some small town general hospital). There are NO travel agencies that send to the DR although I have a colleague that when to Aruba...and Hawaii is possible.
    Your best bet is to commute (from DR to USA), it is possible (I do it) but you will not be able to be a travel nurse for a while. Finish your schooling and take your first job at a big name hospital and work 1 year, then you will be ok.
    SHALENA

I would strongly disagree with this post. the DR may not be the place to work but hiring on with a travel agency is not hard at all. i worked for several over several years. i came from a small regional hospital (18o beds) and immediately went to mass general in boston and did fine. i also worked at brigham womens, univ of WA, virginia mason, st luke's in jacksonville, st vincent's and OSHU in portland......... all from a small hospital. nobody even blinked an eye or asked me about it. and i worked with a bunch of brand new travel nurses over the years too. they seemed to struggle a bit more than experienced nurses but agencies hired them and obviously hospitals took them. so don't be discouraged by people who tell you that it can't be done or you shouldn't do it. take a chance! wasn't that what you did when you started nursing school? the world is full of naysayers. be a "YESsayer"!!