Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some Useful DR-related Environment Links

Post Thanks / Like

This is very important forum and very useful .Every body cheque the forum in maximum useful, Environment & Natural recourses related in the DRL. Don't miss it. Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of links don't work anymore :

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Cotuisano, thanks for reminding me. It's been awhile since I checked and fixed the links in this thread. As with any large collection of links, they need periodic checking/repair because sites go off the air, change web addresses, etc. I'll put it on my to-do list and try to get them checked and updated this week. I'll post once that's all done.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How about air quality report. I lived in Southern California, and part of the weather report is air quality. I have beeen Living in Santiago, and the air polution is up to the level that warning should be given to the population. Since moving here 2004 I have developed ahsma--- now I use a nubeliser every 4 1/2 hour I can't believe that not one single tv station post warning.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi! Thanks for the links!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mariaobetsanov View Post
    How about air quality report. I lived in Southern California, and part of the weather report is air quality. I have beeen Living in Santiago, and the air polution is up to the level that warning should be given to the population. Since moving here 2004 I have developed ahsma--- now I use a nubeliser every 4 1/2 hour I can't believe that not one single tv station post warning.
    Just figure it this way, if your in a city here in the DR, air quality is either bad, really bad, or extremely bad.

Million cars with no emission control = pollution , 1000s of diesel vehicles blowing black smoke all over without any controls = pollution.

Post Thanks / Like

Default links on waste

a lot of the links dont work is the information on waste laws out there?

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbelle View Post
    a lot of the links dont work is the information on waste laws out there?
    cbelle, thanks for reminding me. It's been awhile since I checked and fixed the links in this thread. As with any large collection of links, they need periodic checking/repair because sites go off the air, change web addresses, etc. It's a time-consuming job that I don't have much time for at the moment, but I'll put it on my to-do list and try to get them checked and updated very soon.

Regarding waste laws, there are none at the national level in the DR except the ancient one (#218, adopted in 1984) on imports of wastes and/or hazardous substances and products [that's the one that was often cited when that fly ash was imported from Puerto Rico].

However there are a few norms (subsidiary legislation, not laws) regarding wastes, including:

Resolution 15-2009, on capturing biogas from landfills and "controlled dumps"

Resolution 2-2006 on hazardous substances and wastes

The Environmental Norms for Non-Hazardous Wastes (2003)

Resolution 12-2003 approving the norms for municipal solid wastes

In addition, Puerto Plata actually has a waste ordinance. My guess is that somewhere at some point a similar ordinance was passed by Santiago, but good luck finding it online. It's been awhile since I checked around to see if the various municipalities making up Santo Domingo have ever passed such an ordinance -- I guess that goes on my "to do" list too.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Keith R; 11-09-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: fixed one link

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you and I understand that you are really busy.

You said that there is only one law but how about ley no 120-99 which prohibits anyone to litter on streets, sidewalks, parks, etc

http://www.adn.gob.do/index.php?opti...=326&Itemid=37

and the general environmental law 64-00 articles 106,107 and 108

http://www.adn.gob.do/index.php?opti...=329&Itemid=37

So I am not sure are these only norms or provisions as well?

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, you asked me for waste laws, not provisions of environment framework laws (Law 64-00 itself is actually already listed earlier in this thread).

I work alot on waste policy, but I admit I tend to overlook the litter laws and ordinances, in part because they are usually found in the general public portion of the body of law and in all too many countries (especially in Latin America and the Caribbean) they are not enforced (you probably know that the DR's 1999 litter law is observed more in the breach than in compliance). Also because they generally do little to reduce or properly manage waste flows.

But yeah they are related, so I thank you kindly for the additional link. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12