Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why don't dominicans like cumbia

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why don't dominicans like cumbia

I have noticed this on all my trips to Dominican. That extends to the entire spanish-speaking Caribbean.

While dominicans do appreciate a good vallenato, Puertoricans and Cubans couldn't give a damn about cumbia or vallenato, unless perhaps, we are talking about Carlos Vives.

This contrasts heavily with Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile; nations that have adopted cumbia and given it their own spin.

Why is that? Is cumbia too damn slow and boring to caribbean ears? How can that be, cumbia is caribbean. Is it lack of marketing? Or could it be that mexicans and argentines like it because it doesn't seem to be that hard to dance?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colombianLisa View Post
    I have noticed this on all my trips to Dominican. That extends to the entire spanish-speaking Caribbean.

While dominicans do appreciate a good vallenato, Puertoricans and Cubans couldn't give a damn about cumbia or vallenato, unless perhaps, we are talking about Carlos Vives.

This contrasts heavily with Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile; nations that have adopted cumbia and given it their own spin.

Why is that? Is cumbia too damn slow and boring to caribbean ears? How can that be, cumbia is caribbean. Is it lack of marketing? Or could it be that mexicans and argentines like it because it doesn't seem to be that hard to dance?
    It is both lack of marketing and lack of good Cumbia singers.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

my dominican wife says she doesn't even know what is cumbia,,,,we just had a party at my place the only thing i can remember about the music was that it had to make everybody dance..............if it was slow it was skipped over....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

First Cumbia hit in DR for ages:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAq2J22GTFQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ezequiel hit the nail.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
    It is both lack of marketing and lack of good Cumbia singers.
    There is plenty of good cumbia in Colombia... and there were some brilliant singers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuH9JRetATA
    Last edited by colombianLisa; 01-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miloskorac View Post
    But Vallenato is Bachata? Only that is the term from Colombia, heard few years before, that all good Bachata hits are made from old Vallenato's hits. And both are sad music from the beach with three guitars.

Well I don't see similarity between Bachata and Vallenato. Is there any old Bachatero around?
    No, vallenato is a music that was born in the valledupar region of the colombian caribbean, very different from Bachata. Most bachata hits are vallenato covers though.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of good cumbia singers in Colombia, just not lately.
    But not as good as Merengue, Bachata and Salsa singers. (And nobody know them, Carlos Vives is the exception). Lack of marketing.

You have to keep in mind that the three Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands (Cuba, Dominican Rep, and Puerto Rico) are world super powers when it comes to music, and world class musicians. That's why it is so hard for foreign genre music to penetrate.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
    But not as good as Merengue, Bachata and Salsa singers. (And nobody know them, Carlos Vives is the exception). Lack of marketing.

You have to keep in mind that the three Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands (Cuba, Dominican Rep, and Puerto Rico) are world super powers when it comes to music, and world class musicians. That's why it is so hard for foreign genre music to penetrate.
    Of course there are, good is a very subjective term, I would say los diablitos de colombia are millions of light years more talented than Monchy y alejandra (Monchy y Alejandra got famous doing Diablitos covers). You must not be familiar with cumbia if you don't think there are talented singers. Now, marketing, that part of it I agree with you.

I also agree it is hard to penetrate the caribbean markets, especially Puerto Rico. However, Mexico is also a musical and cultural power of latin america, far greater than all the others, yet they embraced cumbia. Mimi Ibarra is a colombian salsa singer and she is bigger in the DR than any dominican salsero, so the market is not impenetrable, actually colombian salsa is pretty well listened to in the DR. It must boil down to genre, rhythm....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course there are, good is a very subjective term, I would say los diablitos de colombia are millions of light years more talented than Monchy y alejandra (Monchy y Alejandra got famous doing Diablitos covers). You must not be familiar with cumbia if you don't think there are talented singers. Now, marketing, that part of it I agree with you.

I also agree it is hard to penetrate the caribbean markets, especially Puerto Rico. However, Mexico is also a musical and cultural power of latin america, far greater than all the others, yet they embraced cumbia. Mimi Ibarra is a colombian salsa singer and she is bigger in the DR than any dominican salsero, so the market is not impenetrable, actually colombian salsa is pretty well listened to in the DR. It must boil down to genre, rhythm....
    Colombian Salsa is the no.1 Salsa listened in the DR right now hands down.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeR View Post
    First Cumbia hit in DR for ages:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAq2J22GTFQ" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Ezequiel hit the nail.
    That rhythm is a modern Merengue.

JJ

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast