Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Vehicles to own in the DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    I don't like Nissan as the engines are built on timing chain what will cost you an eye to replace plus the noisy they are.

When I was young Honda was my favorite now Toyota is the first place.

JJ
    The timing chain is what makes those engines great. Their engines are always great. You just have to keep an eye on the oil levels. The exterior and interior look sharp but the parts could be a bit more expensive.

The new toyotas do not have enough knee room for me. I always fee like my knee i always rubbing parts of the dash even with the seat all the way back.

My friend has a corrolla and his car can not spend one night parked out on the , when he wakes up all of the lights and plastic trim parts are gone. So he has to garage a corrolla lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Como_un_cameron View Post
    Buy a Ford F150 of before 2000 with a V8.

Uses gasoline right!
    Put in LPG.
    Will hardly break down.
    When it does it'll cost you, but it won't and if it does it will not be complicated to determine what broke down.
    You'll just have to wait a few days for the expensive parts.

These cars are awesome to drive here.
    Give a little something extra to the window washing boys at traffic lights will you.
    I thought that you could not import a V8 anymore? You would have to buy it from a dealer and trust them to sell you a truck that was not driven on super bad roads or loaded past the payload capacity lol

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    It all depends on your budget of course, but personally I swear by Toyota, and more specifically, in the somewhat lower budget, the Tacoma or 4-Runner, and not the new models.

Both have the same engine, which is simple and every mechanic knows it. Spare parts, new and second-hand, are abundant.

The ride is nice, and appearance is personal. Anyways, it will get dented and scratched anyways, so I gave up on appearance.

If your budget is higher, go for the Landcruiser Prado, or the High Lux...

Toyota is not cheap here, but the resale value is great...

I also hear good things about the Nissan X-Terra and X-trail, for the same reasons mentioned above.

The Ford Explorer is also popular here, but unless you get a 4x4, resale value is poor. Also, from what I heard, maintenance is higher.

BelgianK
    This is right on! As is Hillbilly. After selling new and used vehicles for 12 yrs; Buying and selling at auctions throught the northeast U.S. I can can inject the following: The older and yes some of the newer Toyotas would be your best option in the DR. Especially if you are going to be using a vehicle very much in the country. 4 Runners and Tacomas are full frame vehicles and known for their ruggedness. Tundra, F Series etc. are the same. Many of these other models are not sold in the States because of safety and other factors. i.e. Hilux, Prado etc. Highlander is a unibody as are Murano and others. Jeeps have always been overrated, they have always been plagued by front end problems--alignment, ball joints etc. While you pay a premium for Toyota in the DR, the availability of parts and mechanical know how aspects make them #1. If you are going to be using the vehicle on mostly decent roads a Corolla is the best bet. For many of the above reasons. If you are going to buy a used vehicle, by all means subscribe to Carfax, input the ID and follow the history. If there is a big gap since the last record beware. Many of the used vehicles from the States have the Title marked "SALVAGE". Can no longer be sold here. This could be due to major collison damage, frame unable to be straightened etc. You need to be especially aware of vehicles that have been in a flood. Any of these you will have big problems. With any used vehicle you consider, crawl under it. Look for any evidence of rust, new exhaust systems etc. Pull up interior carpets to look for any signs of the vehicle being under water. With automatic transmissions, leave the drivers door open to listen---foot well on the brake and give it a good amount of gas while testing in reverse and drive be aware of any noise and lack of power when under load. Get under the hood while running, both while the engine is hot and cold. Check the radiator, I should be clear or green with antifreeze. I f it has signs of rust --run! Make observations of all under the hood; new parts, "jerryrigged" connections etc. Pull the dipsticks for oil and transmission. If the oil is dirty, not so bad, but smell it for a burnt odor. If the auto trans mission oil is dirty or has a burnt smell---run. When checking used vehicles bring some potatoes. With the motor running, put the potatoe into the tail pipe firmly. The motor should cut out fairly quickly. If not, look underneath; the closer to motor you see the exhaust, the more expensive to fix. If you don't notice exhaust the motor is loose---run. re. Beverly Hills Cop---banana in tailpipe--cop crusier wouldn't start. Best wishes with this endevor.

4. Likes Expat13 liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234