Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Republic Wedding Traditions

Could anyone advise on any Dominican Republic wedding traditions. I would like to incorprate some into my wedding so that all my guests feel there traditions have been included. Things for the ceremony and reception would be welcome.

SKY
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One tradition is that if you invite one Dominican he brings his whole family with him. Over here the families are very large. Be prepared.

SKY
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing. If the wedding is scheduled at 7PM do not even show up until 10pm with the bride. The ceremony should be about 11 or 12.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to link right here from DR1. Hopefully it might be helpful especially our own Matilda's top 9...she should know, she is married to a Dominican.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    1. Groom has a best woman not a best man.
    2. The guy who gives the woman away (padrino) and the best woman (madrina) are supposed to pay for loads of stuff - so many refuse the honour when asked.
    3. As said the cake is very important and usually collapses!
    4. The groom is supposed to take the womans garter off with his teeth
    5. The bride only throws one flower from her bouquet. (I threw all of mine and a massive cat fight ensued ripping the bouquet to pieces!)
    6. You eat very late as Dominicans all leave once they have eaten!
    7. Most weddings are around 5pm - in the uk I can't remember but I think the latest time is 3pm, in case it is dark and you marry the wrong man! Goes back to when there was no electricity.
    8. You have to have a guard on the wedding presents here in case they 'walk'
    9. A lot of those invited don't turn up, and a lot whop were not invited do turn up. No RSVP!!

Matilda

Dominican Wedding Traditions - DR1 Dominican Republic Forums

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to a wedding in Santo Domingo at the Hotel Embajador and two Dominicans got married and it was just like an American wedding. Only difference was that the cake that was on the cake table for pics was not real. I wonder why we dominicans do that?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone, great advice, made me chuckle a little, got a better idea now, thanks again. Happy about only having to throw one flower, as I'm wanting to keep my bouquet.

Windeguy, thanks, honesty was what I was after, I like a little humour too so no worries.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for finding the link Anna, I was about to write them out all over again!!!

Matilda

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    One tradition is that if you invite one Dominican he brings his whole family with him. Over here the families are very large. Be prepared.

That's so true, if you are having a wedding, birthday party or funeral you can save the money on invitation card, because the neighbors and the whole community where you live assume that they're invited and show up without invitation.

So prepare a buffet for 500 or more guest.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Wedding

My future sister in law who is dominican has told me to address each invitation to each specific person (not by family) and that the invitation MUST be presented at the door. She says this will ensure we only have the people invited. My fiance's family has also suggested someone at the door to make sure, at least until after dinner, we are also only supply alcohol for 2 hours and then everyone must pay. We think a lot will leave but are not too worried as the people we really are close to plan to stay for a long time and party....lol

I guess time will tell if her solution will work. I hope so

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know or care really, if his family is alright with it so am I. I am Canadian and we normally just have a cash bar but my fiance wanted to buy some of the drinks for his family but We don't have the money to feed half the town, nor do we care to get them all drunk for 12 hours so this was our solution. Our closest friends and family are fine and that is all we worry about.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast