Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No more PPeses for DR...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No more PPeses for DR...

Dominican authority prohibit the importation of used cloths and shows in DR...

I am reading an article posted on FB by Coco Cabrera who is a Dominican news reported from NY city.

No link of news yet.

Tu vera Vaina!

JJ

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Used clothes and shoes?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The 'Paca' Trade

Quote Originally Posted by bachata View Post
    Dominican authority prohibit the importation of used cloths and shows in DR...
    Should you mean clothes and shoes, then that is old 'news'.
    Shop owners have been pressing for such prohibition for years, but second hand clothes and shoes are still imported/smuggled in on a large scale.

It is a million $ trade and border troops and certain circles high up get a good share of it.

In LT there are at least a dozen places where 'paca' stuff is sold, we buy a lot there.

Fernández niega aprobara entrada de pacas al mercado - listindiario.com

Fernández niega aprobara entrada de pacas al mercado - listindiario.com

Importadores piden definir entrada de pacas - listindiario.com

http://www.listindiario.com/economia...trada-de-pacas

donP
    Last edited by donP; 08-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Places like,"Plaza Lama,La Sirena,and other "Big Box" stores in the DR,as well as the "Narco Mall" owners don't like the "competician" !!!!!!!
    And they "OWN" the gov.
    Anyone surprised???
    CC
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly will cause less competition for the Mall Triangle, if enforced. Here in Higuey the pacas stores are always packed and show huge signs outside saying "desde $20" I guess a piece of used clothing can be had for as little as 20 pesos ... certainly is more economic for poor people to buy 500 pesos worth of "imported" clothing there, than one junk China-made piece that will fall apart or wash away colors in a month, in a large store like Lama or Sirena.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    Places like,"Plaza Lama,La Sirena,and other "Big Box" stores in the DR,as well as the "Narco Mall" owners don't like the "competician" !!!!!!!
    And they "OWN" the gov.
    Anyone surprised???
    CC
    Yes, lets force the poor to buy their clothes at Pichardo's new malls. Its a disgrace to the DR economy to allow Gringos to bring in, and donate clothes to the unfortunate.
    The gringos should just save thier money for Sosua Whoremongering and force to poor to shop at the upscale malls!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post
    Certainly will cause less competition for the Mall Triangle, if enforced. Here in Higuey the pacas stores are always packed and show huge signs outside saying "desde $20" I guess a piece of used clothing can be had for as little as 20 pesos ... certainly is more economic for poor people to buy 500 pesos worth of "imported" clothing there, than one junk China-made piece that will fall apart or wash away colors in a month, in a large store like Lama or Sirena.
    You hit the nail on the head. I've been very surprised as of late of the material and construction used in the clothes I buy for my girls. They are so fragile that most have to be washed by hand. We go to the flea market and find better quality used clothes there. Sometimes I get odd looks because I'm a gringo but since I grew wearing hand me downs from my friends it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Of course for the presentable stuff that my wife wants for the kids they can only be new but for the everyday stuff and I go for the used especially if I haven't been to the States and can't load up at Walmart.

9. Likes bob saunders, donP, windeguy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rubio_higuey View Post

What makes you think the used clothes brought in from the States and else where are not Chinese made? If the clothes sold here are considered "crap" just because they are Chinese made, then guess what, the ones shipped in from abroad are just as crappy because they come from the same manufacturer.

China outsells any garment manufacturer world wide.

11. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bajate

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. I've been very surprised as of late of the material and construction used in the clothes I buy for my girls. They are so fragile that most have to be washed by hand. We go to the flea market and find better quality used clothes there. Sometimes I get odd looks because I'm a gringo but since I grew wearing hand me downs from my friends it doesn't bother me a whole lot. Of course for the presentable stuff that my wife wants for the kids they can only be new but for the everyday stuff and I go for the used especially if I haven't been to the States and can't load up at Walmart.
    The quality of the stuff bought in these 'bajate boutiques' is quite good and better than in the established shops.
    Quite often we find new seconds and new clothes with their price tags still on.
    We look for 100% cotton and we hardly ever buy somewhere else.

donP

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast