Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountainannie's Blog

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    Wow! Let me just say first...A big Thank you to you Annie! And secondly, keep up the good work!! You qualify to be canonized as a saint in my opinion.

PS. If it's any consolation, i grew up eating Quaker Oats and loved them.

Growing up in Ohio, i was surrounded by Quakers and Shakers, and man, do they know how to make pies!!!

Keep up the good fight. The world need more people like you!

Frank

Frank-- PLEASE spare me from sainthood! I am rife with all the seven deadly sins and some of them I am quite enjoying and intend to keep, thank you very much! I am LOVING my life here. I get onto my email in my jamies in my bed every morning with my coffee and am in contact with the folks who love HAiti and we try to figure out something positive.

I just had the great good fortune to fall into the hands of the Quakers at an early age. My family was rich and they had the best schools .. like Sidwell Friends in DC where both Clinton and Obama sent their kids.. And the Quakers are MASTER educators.. they just train you to "find your call that is all in all"

My grand mother's grandmother, Josephine Sophia Griffing, founded the Freedman's Beaureau in DC after the Civil War and I have been marching for racial harmony since 1962 so perhaps it is just in my blood.

But no missionary stuff for me, thanks anyway!

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Good job Annie, you started something!

Is the Paypal button/tip jar for the Haitians, or for the guitar??
    ok,,, finally got clarity on the DONATE button

http://elizabetheames.blogspot.com/2...button_03.html
    pass the hat, please

I will take the equivalent of a frio (or more) from anyone who has the pesos!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Since there are many different types of Quakers.. and since I do not expect you all to slog through 5 years of the blog

here Changing Perspectives: Quaker School- Quaker Values

is the post that perhaps describes my experience

5. Likes Africaida liked this post
    pi2
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Frank-- PLEASE spare me from sainthood! I am rife with all the seven deadly sins and some of them I am quite enjoying and intend to keep, thank you very much! I am LOVING my life here. I get onto my email in my jamies in my bed every morning with my coffee and am in contact with the folks who love HAiti and we try to figure out something positive.

I just had the great good fortune to fall into the hands of the Quakers at an early age. My family was rich and they had the best schools .. like Sidwell Friends in DC where both Clinton and Obama sent their kids.. And the Quakers are MASTER educators.. they just train you to "find your call that is all in all"

My grand mother's grandmother, Josephine Sophia Griffing, founded the Freedman's Beaureau in DC after the Civil War and I have been marching for racial harmony since 1962 so perhaps it is just in my blood.

But no missionary stuff for me, thanks anyway!

Quakers have just been remembering the 350th. aniversary of the Quaker peace testimony. A year ago.

Many Quakers live incredibably simple lives although holding highly paid positions in medicine etc.

Peace testimony anniversary | Quakers in Britain

pi2

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There certainly are many types of Quakers:

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    There certainly are many types of Quakers:

Yes... You know his mother spent the year before his election travelling among Quaker Meetings telling them not to vote for her son since he did not embody Quaker values. And his Meeting in Whittier, CA wrote a public letter asking that he stop identifying himself as a Quaker. Resonding endorsements, eh?

pi2
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Yes... You know his mother spent the year before his election travelling among Quaker Meetings telling them not to vote for her son since he did not embody Quaker values. And his Meeting in Whittier, CA wrote a public letter asking that he stop identifying himself as a Quaker. Resonding endorsements, eh?
    Also of course Daisy Dougnlas Barr of KKK fame. Quakers believe that the individual conscience is the guide ; not the Good Book. It is somewhat strange to go to a Quaker meeting and hear the testomonies. The underlying element in Quakerism is perhaps practice of what the conscience dictates - this unites Quakers. So there may not be a contradiction between McCarthy etc. being Quakers; Just that their consciences led them in different directions to most others. Of course early Quakers, Penn etc. kept slaves.

pi2

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a wonderful blog, E, and very informative. Thank you!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pi2 View Post
    Also of course Daisy Dougnlas Barr of KKK fame. Quakers believe that the individual conscience is the guide ; not the Good Book. It is somewhat strange to go to a Quaker meeting and hear the testomonies. The underlying element in Quakerism is perhaps practice of what the conscience dictates - this unites Quakers. So there may not be a contradiction between McCarthy etc. being Quakers; Just that their consciences led them in different directions to most others. Of course early Quakers, Penn etc. kept slaves.

Well,

pi2
    Well,
    PENN did not keep slaves.... but yes, many Quakers did. We had one Friend, John Woolman, who traveled among Friends in the South "laboring" with them over the issue for 20 years! And they did not pass a minute against slavery until he died. Friends take a long time to consensus-- which is, I guess, come together in conscience.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast