Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountainannie's Blog

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pi2 View Post
    Also of course Daisy Dougnlas Barr of KKK fame. Quakers believe that the individual conscience is the guide ; not the Good Book. It is somewhat strange to go to a Quaker meeting and hear the testomonies. The underlying element in Quakerism is perhaps practice of what the conscience dictates - this unites Quakers. So there may not be a contradiction between McCarthy etc. being Quakers; Just that their consciences led them in different directions to most others. Of course early Quakers, Penn etc. kept slaves.

pi2
    thanks .. I had not heard of Barr.. here is one discussion
    Holy Ordinary: Musings and Photography from a Quaker Perspective: Lost Quaker Journals: #4 -- Daisy Douglass Barr

but McCarthy? Perhaps you mistook the photo of Richard Nixon? who was raised, ineffectively, by a Quaker family inside a Quaker Meeting.

pi2
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry ; but like my Godfather who was also an important Quaker; you are choosing to re-write the history books.

Evidence is that Penn preferred slaves to servants; he kept slaves; he liberated some.

William Penn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

welcome to penns woods: William Penn And Slavery

Actually his writings supported slave owning too.

Do not argue with me : Edit Wilkipedia with your evidence: but I have seen some of his original documents and am convinced the two sources cited; and many others; are correct.

Of course the Cadbury family and other important Quakers used slavery to support thier empires. Well into the 20th century In Africa ; elsewhere!

Cadbury's

As a child I was always persuaded not to eat the product of this evil trade.

pi2

BBC News - How did Quakers conquer the British sweet shop?

pi2
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    thanks .. I had not heard of Barr.. here is one discussion
    Holy Ordinary: Musings and Photography from a Quaker Perspective: Lost Quaker Journals: #4 -- Daisy Douglass Barr

but McCarthy? Perhaps you mistook the photo of Richard Nixon? who was raised, ineffectively, by a Quaker family inside a Quaker Meeting.

Sorry : of course McCarthy was a close friend of RN and had a similar but different intense religious upbringing.

Smedly Butler was of course an important Quaker from that part of the US.

Anyhow the point I was trying to make is that you can believe all sorts of strange things as a member of a Quaker meeting as long as you turn up and carry out good works. Masons with a difference?

pi2

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Yes... You know his mother spent the year before his election travelling among Quaker Meetings telling them not to vote for her son since he did not embody Quaker values. And his Meeting in Whittier, CA wrote a public letter asking that he stop identifying himself as a Quaker. Resonding endorsements, eh?
    It wasn't my intent to imply that he is the poster child of the Quaker movement. I just find astonishingly ironic that he was raised Quaker. David Byrne is a way cooler example. Also Quaker weddings are awesome. Two of my friends were married with Quaker ceremonies and it's what I would want. My favorite historic Quaker was an 18th century guy who was dumped by his fiancee while he was away at sea. He went off the deep end and became a warlord in Afghanistan of all places.

Josiah Harlan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like

Is the thread about Quakers or is is about Mountainannie's blog? Let's get this back on track or else the posts start to disappear.

This is my conscious opinion on what should be done.

HB

Moderator DR1.com

6. Likes Gilberto, mountainannie, AlterEgo liked this post
    pi2
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

NO, it is not!

Don't be a axx**** or you will be off this board!!

HB
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 02-04-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

See "HB",he just posts,he never reads!
    CC
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna go too!
    So I can punch Sean Penn in the nose!
    I think he is a really good actor,but not my cup od political tea.
    He is the "Jane Fonda" of this generation.He and Danny Glover both.
    As far as I am concerned,they are both guilty of treason against the United States of America,for giving "aid and comfort" to the enemy!
    They both love,and support,"Castro","Chavez",Achmadinajad(SP?) and others.
    At least God is taking care of Castro,and Chavez,and the Israelis will soon take care of "That Iranian"!
    "Annie" I jst saw your picture on your "Blog".You look like you could be my older sister,but when she was MUCH younger.
    Since you were raised in "GV" during it's more "Radical" political time,I can forgive you for your "Unusual Politics",not really "Politics",but for being so "Nice"!
    Keep swimming against the tide,you'l get there!
    CC
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

11. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Annie,

I just read your blog here about the missionaries in Haiti, the Mudhuts vs cement block houses, etc...it was spot on and funny. I really enjoy your writing and wit--they're both a breath of fresh air.

Changing Perspectives: A rant on Missionaries

Frank

13. Likes mountainannie liked this post
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast