Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: AntiHatianismo

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AntiHatianismo

Ahthough the subject of race is banned on DR, the topic of Antihaitianismo is specific really, to the DR .

Here is a print out from the Corbett list, which is the moderated English speaking list serve which has been running for over 20 years..

Please keep the postings on topic, historical. and civil so that the thread does not get shut down.. or. I will have to take it Off Topic where the new posters cannot read it.

Although many newbies to the Island and the DR may think this is simply a matter of racism on the part of Dominicans.. while this may play a part.. it is certainly not the entire issue.

ok.. let us try,.

A Case of Mistaken Identity: Antihaitianismo in Dominican Culture
    Haiti: Antihaitianismo in Dominican Culture

2. Likes jabejuventus liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Consider the development of both countries over the past century. Why did the DR develop so much more than Haiti, considering Haiti's greater population and resources (at the time) There was USA intervention in both countries but only the DR seem to benefit rom it. Antihaitianismo is not currently taught in Dominican schools.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good reading but I'll take with a grain of salt. These are the views mind you, of a Cuban descendent, born in NYC and whom attended school at PR. With these credentials there is a big margin for bias towards the DR and the subject at hanld.

Is there Antihaitianism in the DR? Of course there is, there have been and will always be; it's the nature of this island and the history among its people.

5. Likes NALs, Gurabo444, Naked_Snake liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"Notice again how Balaguer makes indistinct use of the terms "race" and "nation," so as to pretend that Haitians and Dominicans not only belong to different nations, but also to completely different races."

To pretend? They are different in race and are separate nations, has been the case from the origins of them both.

"The extinction of the indian race gave way for the population of Santo Domingo to be integrally constituted by European families, especially Spanish and French. Before the Treaty of Basel (1795), the colony's population was formed by the best of the families that had migrated to America, attracted by gold or by the fascinating mystery of remote expeditions [Balaguer 1984, 59].

In this brief passage, Balaguer helps to perpetuate the myth of the white Dominican by ignoring the fact that there was a considerable number of blacks and mulattoes in the colony before 1795 (Moya Pons 1977, 378-379). Balaguer's romantic notion of Dominican history is, unfortunately, shared by many Dominicans."

Myth?

The island was discovered and populated by Spaniards PRIOR to any slaves trades or blacks/mulattoes being in the picture.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

History of the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the first slaves arrived on the Spanish side in 1503.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    History of the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the first slaves arrived on the Spanish side in 1503.
    And the island was discovered and populated by Spaniards in 1492.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It all started when a certain dude by the name of Henri Crishtophe decided to rape and massacre thousands of innocent Cibaenos, did I mention he also burned a bunch of towns to the ground? I know I know some of you are going to say why bring up something that happened 200 years ago? and why hold a grudge? Well I think is always good to know the root of a problem, in other words the reason that started it all.

BTW, not too long ago DR donated a university to Haiti, and to spit in the face of DR I guess, they decided to named it after this murderer. In good old Dominican Haitians are and always have been uno' malo' agradecidos, there's no other country who has helped them more than DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I just re-read the article for the 5th time and can honestly conclude that it is bias and full of miss-information (sp). OP, please link some other source and article along with this one to have an objective discussion. Thanks

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi OP.
    Yes, the article is a bit bias from the first sentences. Unfortunately. For me this whole thing DR >< Haiti is sad.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A very typical foreign perspective omitting the massacres and cultural genocide during the occupation.

The author further fails to mention the outpouring of support for Haitians after the earthquake and the fact that no one else does more for Haitians than the DR.

This is not scholarly work.

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast