Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New migration law

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samana-lovin-it View Post
    Does anyone know what the new fees will be each year under the new provisional residency law for 2012, since you have to reapply for four years before you can apply for you permanent residency. In other words, rather than paying once for the provisional and then for the permanent, what will the renewal fees be each year under the new law?
    Don't be mis-led by the term "Permanent", it's not, it still needs in most cases to be renewed every 2 years.

SKY
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Bottom line is now and has always been, it is best to get Citizenship if you plan on living here permanently. This way they can't screw with you anymore.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Bottom line is now and has always been, it is best to get Citizenship if you plan on living here permanently. This way they can't screw with you anymore.
    What is the difference ? cost /renewal ect

SKY
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santo1 View Post
    What is the difference ? cost /renewal ect
    The difference is that you are a citizen the same as any Dominican born here. The only thing you cannot do is run for President or VP. You can actually run for any other office.

There is no renewal or other fees either. Of course you would pay for Passport renewal the same as you would any place else.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Likes whirleybird, Matilda, Mauricio liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Abuela View Post
    This DOES clarify a lot! Thanks...

Was trying to deposit my application for permanent today, but missed one papera and have to come back on Monday, they told me nothing will change for me for now...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My permanent residency is about to expire and I would like to renew it. Are the requirements still the same? Did anybody renew his residency lately? Would like to go there with everything required "in hand" to avoid unnecessary travel.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    My permanent residency is about to expire and I would like to renew it. Are the requirements still the same? Did anybody renew his residency lately? Would like to go there with everything required "in hand" to avoid unnecessary travel.
    I am in a similar situation. My wife and I are Canadians living for the time being in Canada. We lived in DR from 1995 to 2008 and acquired permanent residency. It is set to expire summer 2012. We will be in DR for 2 months Feb/Mar 2012. We have a home in DR and would not like to lose our residency status, especially as you all know, after the very involved process to get it in the first place. We plan to move back at some point in the future. We still spend at least 2-3 months in DR every year. Any advice for me as to whether to renew now or wait until after elections or otherwise? TIA.
    Darren

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

From a layman's point of view,

it appears that this new law is designed to prohibit exactly what many people want to do OR are doing - namely, carrying residency without actually residing.

Unless you reside once every 6 months, you will not be a resident.
    That doesn't seem overly restrictive to me.

Layman's view, just sayin'.

Ken
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    From a layman's point of view,

it appears that this new law is designed to prohibit exactly what many people want to do OR are doing - namely, carrying residency without actually residing.

Unless you reside once every 6 months, you will not be a resident.
    That doesn't seem overly restrictive to me.

Layman's view, just sayin'.
    I agree, if it means that you can't spend more than 6 months out of the country in any year without prior approval.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast