Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New migration law

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Not true. When I killed a thief that tried to rob me the US Consulate came to the Police station. It was Bill Kirkman at the time. He was a non factor anyway. I did fine on my own. But he was there even though I am a dual citizen.
    Maybe it is different for US,DR dual nationality but it is certainly true for UK.DR nationality. Herewith quote from UK Foreign Office publication.

Dual nationals
    If you are a dual British national in a third country (that is, a country of which you are not a national) and hold a valid British passport, we will offer you our full support.

If you are a dual British national in the country of your other nationality (for example, a dual US-British national in the US), we would not normally offer you support or get involved in dealings between you and the authorities of that state. We may make an exception to this rule if, having looked at the circumstances of the case, we conisder that there is a special humanitarian reason to do so.

Maybe worth checking depending on nationality.

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackichan View Post
    Yes, it takes one year after the PR card is issued to apply for citizenship. The process is pretty much like applying for permanent residency just that there's a final ENTREVISTA to gauge your knowledge on the country. I'm planning on moving forward with citizenship in september exactly one year into my permanent residency.
    Are you sure it takes one year after your permanent residency card is issued? I thought I read somewhere that after being a permanent resident for three years that you could apply for citizenship? Anyone know the URL on this forum with a thread discussing this?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

Please note that the interview is entirely in Spanish.

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeStetson View Post
    Are you sure it takes one year after your permanent residency card is issued? I thought I read somewhere that after being a permanent resident for three years that you could apply for citizenship? Anyone know the URL on this forum with a thread discussing this?
    My bad. It takes atleast three years to get citizenship. 1yr temp residency, 2yr PR after which you can apply for Cuidadana Dominicana.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am getting my residency, I got nervous about residency and tourist changes so I decided to just do it. While technically I guess the new rules apply, nobody down at Immigration knows that yet! No surprise there...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackichan View Post
    My bad.
    You mean: "my mistake"

Just offering help with your English.

7. Dislikes cbmitch9, Tamborista disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeeStetson View Post
    You mean: "my mistake"

Just offering help with your English.

English slang seems fine to me.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to renew permanent for myself and my wife. Since we can appoint an attorney to represent us so that we do not have to be physically present for the process, would I be correct in assuming that I can represent my wife so that she would not have to be present as I renew both at the same time? Thanks.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    In order to become a Dominican citizen it is necessary to be a child of a Dominican citizen; be married to a Dominican; or to have lived in the country for at least 6 months after acquiring residency, with a total time in the country of at least two years and have a business, have bought real estate or have served in the Dominican Armed Forces.

Please note that the interview is entirely in Spanish.

Matilda
    About citizenship... I have the Permanent Residency (since 2003), have a dominican born kid here but not married to the mother (together with her though, so I guess that could be arranged if necessary). No criminal record here or in my home country. Could I apply for citizenship and if yes give me an idea what I need...

Thank you in advance

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Mpe View Post
    About citizenship... I have the Permanent Residency (since 2003), have a dominican born kid here but not married to the mother (together with her though, so I guess that could be arranged if necessary). No criminal record here or in my home country. Could I apply for citizenship and if yes give me an idea what I need...

Thank you in advance
    I called the Dominican Embassy in Manhattan last week, I'm married to a Dominican, they told me I need:

Copy of my birth certificate from NYC & Copy of our marriage certificate from NYC - both must be apostiled. Also need professional/approved translations - can be done at Dominican Embassy. [Yes, you need to be married, but if you marry in DR you won't need official translations]

Letter from police department where I live - certified/apostiled.

6 passport photos - 4 front view, 2 side view.

Then I have to go to DR to get application, with my husband, pay fees, take history test [in Spanish].

And then wait......

ALTEREGO

Super Moderator DR1.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast