Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Now Everyone Needs a Residency VISA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They have just made matters easier for themselves; like i would want a resident permit without seeing the place i will be residing? Like a wise man once told me, "you got to taste the merchandise before you buy it." That beats the whole purpose as coming to the D.R as a tourist then deciding to stay makes no sense in leaving the country to apply for a residents permit when i could simply do it there. I can't wait to see the application for the new permit since it's a new law it would probably insist that people with property on the Island are eligible to apply while those who are renting should tick the tourist section.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    This is not pointed at tourists, it is aiming at people who want to stay here illegally. Which regular tourist would stay for more than 30 days?
    Trust me, many people stay for more than 30 days on extended vacations.

3. Likes snoozer liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    They have just made matters easier for themselves; like i would want a resident permit without seeing the place i will be residing? Like a wise man once told me, "you got to taste the merchandise before you buy it." That beats the whole purpose as coming to the D.R as a tourist then deciding to stay makes no sense in leaving the country to apply for a residents permit when i could simply do it there. I can't wait to see the application for the new permit since it's a new law it would probably insist that people with property on the Island are eligible to apply while those who are renting should tick the tourist section.
    I see no reason at all the law should be complicated more by those who own versus renting, staying at a time share or hotel. And I do not expect the law will include those considerations.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know the process to residency if you are married to a Dominican?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bermyboy View Post
    Does anyone know the process to residency if you are married to a Dominican?
    I do not think it is any different than if you are not married to a Dominican, but of course, that may have changed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Trust me, many people stay for more than 30 days on extended vacations.
    I just read the complete regulation in Spanish again, it says that the maximum stay on a tourist card is 60 days now instead of 30 days, you can apply for an extension with the following documents:

a) correctly filled out application form
    b) passport valid for another 6 months
    c) return ticket
    d) address in the DR
    e) medical certificate by authorized medic
    f) proof of sufficient funds
    g) pay (doesn't say how much)

You can only get one extension for another 60 days!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay... so this is interesting to say the least. My elderly parents just moved down here and we were assuming they could do like most others and just pay the fee when they leave and come and go as they want. (They are renting a condo and intend on living here full time). We just figured it didn't make any sense to bother with residency. With the change in law am I to presume this is no longer an option? If I read an earlier post correctly, those who overstay the tourist card will have difficulty in returning? Man... this is all messed up.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The DR has a lot of laws. Enforcement is another matter entirely. This seems so counter productive that when they see the problems it will engender and the loss of the over stay penalties it may be ignored like many other laws in the DR.
    A really dumb idea. Time will tell but I would not be too worried at this point. From what I have seen being married to a Dominican woman means nothing in the eyes of the DR government.

10. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Dislikes Zazu disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    The DR has a lot of laws. Enforcement is another matter entirely. This seems so counter productive that when they see the problems it will engender and the loss of the over stay penalties it may be ignored like many other laws in the DR.
    20 years ago we used to say they will never be able to make colmados to pay taxes, now colmados are paying taxes!
    Last edited by mido; 06-13-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    20 years ago we used to say they will never be able to make colmados to pay taxes, now they have to!
    Yea and 8 yrs ago they said that EVERYONE will be paying for electricity........

And by the way, this article if from someones blog, not from a govt internet site.....IMO its someone trying to scare up some business for himself......like I said IMO....

13. Likes sabra, Criss Colon, bermyboy liked this post
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast