Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santiago attorney Rafael Escoto

Post Thanks / Like

Default Now I Know Who You Mean!!! Yikes!!

This is a man that bills himself as an expert on US immigration law and as a United States lawyer. I have asked him if he is licensed to practice law in the US and I do not get an answer. He "says" he is "un abogado norteamericano" ...Which is a crock...

He is on TV giving advice and he writes regularly in the La Información on immigration issues.

I would not go to him for anything, but that is just me and I have at least "known" him for nearly thirty years!!!!!

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of a lawyer called Yadira Morel (a woman) who works out of Santo Domingo who supposedly is pretty good, but I don't have any direct experience with her. She has a TV show where she talks about visa issues as well - I have even seen some of it and she seems pretty realistic and not full of false promises like most of the money-grubbing buscones who call themselves lawyers and promise the world for cash up front.

Her claim to fame is helping Fefita la Grande work through some kind of a visa problem that would otherwise have had her visa cancelled (and rightfully so)

She is expensive and appointments have to be made several months in advance, but apparently effective.

A quick search for information on her turned up this link, not necessarily on topic but there is a picture...

http://www.listin.com.do/antes/enero...mingo/dom8.htm

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly
    He is on TV giving advice and he writes regularly in the La Información on immigration issues.

HB
    I have heard something about him having a TV program which you would think that would validate him as a legitimit attorney. Not that I am doubting anything that you and MrMike have said. I'm just trying to make heads and tails of things. Why would a TV program and newspaper employ the advise of someone who is not qualified. That's actually doing a disservice to the very people their trying to help.

MrMike,
    Thank you for the article link. I'm gonna give it to my husband. I can't read spanish.Both you and HB have been very helpful, I truly do appreciate it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callik
    Why would a TV program and newspaper employ the advise of someone who is not qualified. That's actually doing a disservice to the very people their trying to help.
    As Ayn Rand said, "when faced with an apparent contradiction, check your premises for one of them is wrong" (not word for word)

You are uperating under the premise that TV stations, Newspapers and lawyers want to help people and perform some useful service for someone other than themselves when this is not the case.

Latin American newspapers are about an equal parts mix of gossip, political *** kissing and filling whatever space wasn't taken up by the first two.

Mr. Escoto's column is probably the later.

TV stations here are generally in the format called "program supplier supported" meaning you pay to have your TV show on the air and then sell your own advertising space. (As opposed to american networks, where the station buys the show and books it's own advertising) Anybody with the money to slap down can have a TV show here, (about RD$50k/wk in Santiago - probably getting cheaper) just turn on the TV sometime and watch some local shows and you'll see that it certainly isn't brains, talent or good looks that got these people on the air.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

My Godfather who died a couple of years ago trusted his money and finances stuff to Rafael Escoto and Persio -whatever the last name is- and I know for a fact that even they were friends all three for a lifetime they scammed him with his money, so those are lawyers that I definitely would NOT trust.

Now about Yadira Morel -I know her personally since she was married with my cousin- she knows a lot about inmigration issues and she has proven to be a real good lawyer when she worked -I believe in NY- as a Inmigration laws adviser.

*Virginia*

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In a sad way I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who's had bad experiences with these two, I guess to make the unholy trinity complete for Santiago lawyers it would be fair to mention Dr. Liranzo (don't know his first name) who has a women's clinic across from UTESA and also owns all the commercial property on the side of the street opposite UTESA.

Terrible preson to work with, rented a commercial location from him and it was the worse business relationship I have ever had in my life. He even pulled his gun out at me more than once when I complained that he wouldn't turn on the generator when the power was out. He said the generator was for emergency light and he would decide what was an emergency and what wasn't.

Known in some circles of Santiago as "the butcher" he is probably the most evil business person in Santiago not already in jail. (he is both a doctor and a lawyer, but does not practice law that I know of, he seems to prefer gynecology so he can screw his clients more directly)

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

VirginiaGomes,

I'm sorry to hear about what these people have done to your family but I appreciate you sharing your story.There should be a special thread where people tell of their experiences with lawyers good and bad.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike
    In a sad way I guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who's had bad experiences with these two, I guess to make the unholy trinity complete for Santiago lawyers it would be fair to mention Dr. Liranzo (don't know his first name) who has a women's clinic across from UTESA and also owns all the commercial property on the side of the street opposite UTESA.
    Is he the guy who owns the Plaza Isabel Emilia or something like that?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default visa help

I need some advice. I have had a hearing aid project in the DR since 1998 that grew out of my volunteer work with Orphanage Outreach. We have provided and fit about 1250 hearing aids in that time. I have a Dominican friend who I've known since I started visiting the country in 1996. I've trained him to make earmolds and he is very good. I want to bring him to this country for further training so he could do everything. However, the consulate told me unless he had a steady job in the DR he would never get a visa to come to the states for training. I said if he had a steady job in the DR he wouldn't need to come to the states but that didn't go anywhere. Any ideas on getting a visitor's visa?
    Earlady

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Earlady

You may get more responses if you start a new thread. Some people may not take a second look at this one to see your question.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast