Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Marriage And Citizenship

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Marriage And Citizenship

    To quote the legal page:

    In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

    I have two questions:

    How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

    Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikke
    To quote the legal page:

    In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

    I have two questions:

    How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

    Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?
    i'm sorry i don't answers to your questions, but i did want to comment that i think it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.

  3. #3
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Desirable Passport?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue
    ... it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.
    Depends.
    Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
    This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
    What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

    And then:
    Imagine:
    A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

    m'frog

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog
    Depends.
    Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
    This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
    What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

    And then:
    Imagine:
    A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

    m'frog
    benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re asons you just mentioned.

  5. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    15,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue
    benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re asons you just mentioned.
    Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
    The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.

  6. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikke
    To quote the legal page:

    In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

    I have two questions:

    How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

    Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?
    Thanks for the insight, LOL, but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?

  7. #7
    On Vacation!
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Macho Law

    Quote Originally Posted by nikke
    .... but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?
    "Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?"

    The law does not provide this.

    m'frog

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders
    Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
    The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.
    i know the us allows dual citizenship, not an issue. i still stand stong the MY belief is that MY US citizenship is the BEST. i don't base my opinion on Pension i base it on flexibility and what it does for me. if your opinion differs then so be it. we can't all think alike.

  9. #9
    DR1
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    5,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikke
    To quote the legal page:

    In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

    I have two questions:

    How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

    She has the right to citizenship, but she has to go through most of the usual steps. The advantage is that the documentation only deals with two government bodies -- Junta Central Electoral and the Secretaria de Interior y Policia, not three (Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores). Thus there is time saving, probably cuts a third of the time of the other procedure.

    Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?
    As stated below, that is the way the law is written. I suppose someone could challenge this in the Supreme Court, as this could be regarded as gender discrimination.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks I was just wondering about the gender issue...maybe there was some historical or political reason for it. I'm sure there is...

    Does anyone know the answer to my other question? Does the automatic right to citizenship for a woman who marries a Dominican facilitate her application for residency?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •