Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage And Citizenship

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Marriage And Citizenship

To quote the legal page:

In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

I have two questions:

How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikke
    To quote the legal page:

In addition to being the offspring of a Dominican citizen, you can acquire Dominican citizenship through marriage. A foreign woman who marries a Dominican has the right to Dominican citizenship. This does not work in reverse. A foreign man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship.

I have two questions:

How does this affect the application time for residency for a woman? Does this mean that immediately once the woman is married she can apply for a cedula?

Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?
    i'm sorry i don't answers to your questions, but i did want to comment that i think it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Desirable Passport?

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue
    ... it's great the foreign women are entitled to dominican citizenship by marriage to a dominican - finally a benefit.
    Depends.
    Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
    This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
    What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

And then:
    Imagine:
    A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

m'frog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainfrog
    Depends.
    Many countries have their citizens lose their passports when adopting another nationality as they do not allow dual citizenship.
    This may result in the loss of very valuable benefits (e.g. social welfare, pensions, etc.) and needs to be thought about thoroughly.
    What benefits does the Dominican citizenship provide anyway?

And then:
    Imagine:
    A German woman giving up her German citizenship for a Dominican Passport (to become a full member of 'paradise' ). Marriage goes down the drain. She'd need a visa to return to Mami....!!!!!!!!!

m'frog
    benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re asons you just mentioned.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue
    benefit with no real merrit. no citizen in the world , to me, is better than US citizenship for all the re asons you just mentioned.
    Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
    The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

To quote the legal page:

I have two questions:

Thanks for the insight, LOL, but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Macho Law

.... but is there anyone who knows the answer to my original question?
    "Does anyone know why a man who marries a Dominican woman does not have the automatic right to Dominican citizenship?"

The law does not provide this.

m'frog

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders
    Then you should do some research, because many countries offer better pensions, medical systems,...etc along with just as many, sometimes more personal freedoms than the USA.
    The DR, as well has many other countries allow dual citizenship.
    i know the us allows dual citizenship, not an issue. i still stand stong the MY belief is that MY US citizenship is the BEST. i don't base my opinion on Pension i base it on flexibility and what it does for me. if your opinion differs then so be it. we can't all think alike.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

To quote the legal page:

I have two questions:

She has the right to citizenship, but she has to go through most of the usual steps. The advantage is that the documentation only deals with two government bodies -- Junta Central Electoral and the Secretaria de Interior y Policia, not three (Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores). Thus there is time saving, probably cuts a third of the time of the other procedure.

As stated below, that is the way the law is written. I suppose someone could challenge this in the Supreme Court, as this could be regarded as gender discrimination.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I was just wondering about the gender issue...maybe there was some historical or political reason for it. I'm sure there is...

Does anyone know the answer to my other question? Does the automatic right to citizenship for a woman who marries a Dominican facilitate her application for residency?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast