Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the DR is cheap

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben oregon View Post
    kid;s schooll ,is how much ? private or DR ?
    Private rd2900.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    ...... remember, Chip's budget does not include "Housing Expenses".

Like Cobraboy's budget, which is about $400 a month more than Chip's.

So, where will you live?
    In a tin shanty or an ex-pat style home?

Don
    REMEMBER Chip's budget included 3 children. You think that's cheap?

Also, my monthly internet/cell/vonage bill of $150 could be cut down more than half easily.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKing View Post
    Chip, does your calculation include your housekeeper or did you have to let her go?
    And the kids are counting on the BBQ! I would come back now if the baby's father didn't think that the world was going to end if he's not born in the US!
    I mismanaged money BADLY last year but it's either "Get disciplined, or stay in the States" and I am definitely not staying here
    SHALENA
    We had to let go of our housekeeper and I'm helping with the chores.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You people sound like my mum!
    As long as I have enough cash set aside for a MEDEVAC and enough to buy a car and rent a decent apartment back home should everything cave in then the rest is gravy.

I am still feeling lucky and happy that me and the family are still alive, however.
    That still feels sooooo good - I think it has adjusted my priorities a little.
    I guess the sensible gene will kick in soon enough.

I totally respect Chip for budgeting well, taking care of his kids and looking out for their future. That is what my parents did for me and that is totally irreplaceable.
    For this very reason I think he deserves a little more of the good stuff in life.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip, I raised 3 boys overseas a long time ago. Wherever we lived we ate what nutritionists say is the best diet in the world, which also happens to be the Dominican diet, furthermore organic:

fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and white meats.
    Chicken and fish for the white meat, and beans and rice for the whole grains.
    I can't think of a better dish than my frojoles negros with tons of garlic and onion.

Dominicans are all getting fat and unhealthy like Puerto Ricans because of the good economy, Americanized with Tostitos, Papitas and refined sugar saturated processed foods. They also cut out the fruit and veggies and beans and rice in favor of the easy platanos which screws up the balance. But the old standard is the best in the world.

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I will do fine as long as I cut out the TGIFridays
    SHALENA
    I'm no cheapo' but I found TGIF in Santiago really expensive

Dinner and drinks for 4 came out to be 6,000 pesos when I was there last. Ridiculous!!!

Moderator DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post
    I'm no cheapo' but I found TGIF in Santiago really expensive

Dinner and drinks for 4 came out to be 6,000 pesos when I was there last. Ridiculous!!!
    You can do a lot better at the remodled restaurant on la called del sol in front of the monument. I wish I knew the name. Food was great and reasonable for such a touristy area and great atmosphere.
    Last edited by Chip; 05-10-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Living

I recently retired from the Postal Service here in the states. Will be moving to the DR later this year. Really been doing my homework and I know I can easily live better on my pension in the DR. That is due mostly to the cheaper rents and fresh local foods. And that would be living around the north coast. In Santiago the rents are much cheaper for much nicer apartments but I prefer being closer to the coast. Plan on buying a used car/SUV and small scooter. I will have plenty of disposable income after expenses considering my lifestyle.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Budget for a 2 week stay

Just curious if anyone would be able to give me a ball park budget for groceries to get me through a 2 week stay and recommended places to find certain items. I'll be in POP, Costambar area and doing mostly my own cooking. I've read the prices per pound etc for a lot of food staples but I'd like to know what kinds of ingredients are readily available like asian cooking ingredients like ginger, soya sauce, oyster sauce, and rice noodles. I eat mainly rice, chicken and fish veggies... salads, fresh fruits. Any recommended places to buy fresh mussels? Is there a good supply of red wine available? I prefer Australian or South African Shiraz or Cabernet, French Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. I can stomach Spanish or Chilean wine but prefer the others. If the wine's not too good, I'll stick to rum! At least I know there's plenty of that readily available and cheap...too

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip, does your calculation include your housekeeper or did you have to let her go?
    And the kids are counting on the BBQ! I would come back now if the baby's father didn't think that the world was going to end if he's not born in the US!
    I mismanaged money BADLY last year but it's either "Get disciplined, or stay in the States" and I am definitely not staying here
    SHALENA
    Is he expecting his son to sponsor him to the US when he grows up? See, he might end up here anyway.

Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast