Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 450$ for electricity contract in Bavaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why we are ripped off always

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 450$ for electricity contract in Bavaro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why we are ripped off always

My dear friends from DR1, I am so collapsed, dont know what to say.
    I had to arrange my electricity contract to be able to have electricy in my apartment in Bavaro and the electric company told me that for that condominium the electricity contract to get electricity in my home is 450 DOLLARS!!!!.

What the hell is going on in DR? what kind of country is it? They think we are stupids? how can this kind of cost of living can be faced!!!

It is so ridiculous, that is the same in proportion as if in Europe to get a electricity contract they charge you 2,500$ !!!!!

450$ is more than an average dominican monthly salary!!!

I am absolutely annoyed, shocked, collapsed ... I have no words

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken, this is the cost of the electric meter, which you must actually purchase and you then own to take with you if you should leave.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds about right. I paid around that figure for a contract with EDESUR in 2006 but that included a US$400 said-to-be refundable deposit for the meter and guarantee for payment of the bills.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, thats an interesting comment Glenn, I will ask about it, as I was not the one taking care of that matter, Im not yet in DR ...
    You mean the machine that counts the electricty?
    Thanks for that info.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we had to pay something like that for the meter when we got our contract with CEPM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trivial!

The meter must be paid for and 2 months deposit against unpaid bills.
    We have some stupid posters. They should burn candles!

Yanandu

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to make a deposit of 10000 pesos in 2006 in Santo Domingo for an electricity contract. I assume the idea is that you are going to leave the country with unpaid bills. In Miami you also must make a deposit but it is returned in one year if your have paid your bills.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all that info guys. I appreciate it.
    I am really scared of going to a third world country with third world salaries but European cost of living ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yanandu View Post
    We have some stupid posters. They should burn candles!

Yanandu
    Not a very nice comment!!!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This will include the meter and a deposit is usually based on some lifestyle issues. Normally they will do a calculation based on variables like location of apt, how many rooms, # of people, # of air conditioners etc. AND sometimes they will make unfair assumptions because you are a foreigner.

Yanandu - that was uncalled for!!!! The OP may not have had a full understanding of the issues. Cut him some slack will you!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast