Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Foods

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    If I had to pick only ONE Dominican food, it would have to be arepita de yuca. They are SOOOO good. Not the healthiest, because they're fried, but I could make a meal on them if they're cooked correctly! Sancocho would be a close second.

AE
    YES, with a little lime juice....hmmm good.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    If I had to pick only ONE Dominican food, it would have to be arepita de yuca. They are SOOOO good. Not the healthiest, because they're fried, but I could make a meal on them if they're cooked correctly! Sancocho would be a close second.

AE
    They are good. There is also something somewhat similar made of yucca, but grated finer than the arepas and seasoned with salt and paprika and fried. We call them chulos here in cibao.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Arroz con gandules, pollo horneado y ensalada de papas.

4. Likes Ezequiel, bigwhiskey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yuca mashed or no with mojo sauce. Pollo guisado. Berenjenas guisadas (this dish reminds me of Moroccan eggplant salad). Guinea guisada. Ensalada de papas y atun con perejil, ensalada de mango y carambola. Pescado asado. Y flan flan flan , each household has its own recipe.
    I better go walk now

Post Thanks / Like

When I am in DR, I look forward to, believe or not, the lambi sold by the beach vendors with a shot of mamajuana. mmmmm

I also like the fried fish and totones you get from the vendors around the beach area.

7. Likes skinny36, Mariot liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

For those of us who live here full time, and who do not have access to the upscale supermarkets, one of the challenges is trying to turn what you can buy here into the food you loved when you lived in your home country. For example you can make excellent burgers by hand, substitute goat for lamb to make delicious Turkish lamb/goat stew with aubergines and chickpeas, make home made pizza using fresh tomatoes for the sauce, humus is easy as you can easily find chickpeas, limes, garlic and olive oil.

I miss some products from the UK, but with a little inventiveness the produce here can be used to make great meals, 365 days a year.

matilda

9. Likes LauraP, MikeFisher liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

favorite Dish:
    Wild Pork/Havali with the Mrs's "Russian" Salad, can't be beaten

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    When I am in DR, I look forward to, believe or not, the lambi sold by the beach vendors with a shot of mamajuana. mmmmm

I also like the fried fish and totones you get from the vendors around the beach area.
    You should eat the Lambi with a shot of Limon over it and drink the Mamajuana right afterwards,
    a great "during the Day Snack", he he

Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

for everything Fishy,
    specially Dorado/Mahi(the small schoolies), small Groupers/Mero and Full Red Snapper/Chillo,
    try them in the Gas Oven/Orno de Gas, on the lowest Flame to get their Time on lowest Heat,
    they come out better tasting than any Meal available at any NYC Selfnamed 5 Star Gourmet Palais.
    serve it with a simple Salad of Veggies/Potatoes/Cebollas/Eggs(vary by your own taste) and add a bit of white Rice to the Plates, Your Invites will Kill for da Meal

Mike

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Moro Habichuela Negra con Pollo

14. Likes CoreyH liked this post
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast