Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: how so many expensive jeepetas in this country?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with 10k$ watches is they are so easily counterfeited for $100. A really good fake of almost any watch costs no more than that and actually works well as a watch. As a status symbol the problem is that anybody who is believable wearing it...who is otherwise known to have da bucks....might just as well wear a fake since people will assume it's real. Otoh if you are not believable wearing it people will think it's just a fake even if it's real. Ya just can't win.

2. Likes bonao99, Criss Colon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
    might just as well wear a fake since people will assume it's real. Otoh if you are not believable wearing it people will think it's just a fake even if it's real. Ya just can't win.
    I do not care what people think. I know it's real and that is what matters to me!!!!!

Moderator DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post
    RIGHT!!! Bob nobody on the planet respect wealthy people but JMB. Why would I buy a 15,000USD like a Kia or something when I can buy a Breguet XXII for around 16,0000USD. I had a mentor growing that was as brillant as Albert. The worst item you can purchase in life is a CAR. The best items you can purchase is jewerly. Why do you think that is so BOB?

Years back everybody laugh at JMB because I rented my apartment and leased my cars. JMB you are so STUPID why spend all this money on watches and you do not even OWN your home or your car they said. NOW in 2012 those homes are worth NOTHING and the cars that they finally payoff are worth 70% less then what they paid for them. Now if I have three watches that that total 32,000USD they ARE NOT worth 70% less then what I paid for them. THANKS MENTOR!!!

BTW I have not paid a car repair bill in over 7 years LEASING cars has its benefit. Also those people AREN"T laughing NO MAS!!!
    No, they are immediately worth 50% less if yo buy them from a retail store, but over time may thereafter not depreciate much if they are kept flawless and have excellent provenance. Leasing cars and real estate is not a bad idea. Some collectibles are better but you'd be better to stick to certain antique watches than current models if you are investing.

5. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
    Some collectibles are better but you'd be better to stick to certain antique watches than current models if you are investing.
    This is VERY true!!!!

Moderator DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. DR was overly harsh in his little essay to JMB.

Sure, collecting pricey (but otherwise widely available) watches is a lousy investment strategy, but it's a fun hobby for those who are into it.

I invest in real estate and financial instruments linked to RE, like tax-free bonds for hospitals and whatnot. It's boring for most, but then again, I really like all types of property, and I've done well with it. I'm the one who insists on watching HGTV in our house. Just about everything else (cars, clothes, electronic doohickeys) I get because they're cool, and don't expect to retire off the residual value of my 4 y.o. MacBook.

But just because I'm a big fan of All Things Apple doesn't make me a ghetto crack fiend, as Mr Dr seems to insinuate. JMB does come across as a bit provincial in his investment strategy, but he's hasn't been doing any name calling.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeepetas are a need for the road in the DR, cheap ones don't make the cut and top of the hill will only get dents and cost too much to upkeep. The reason why many prefer the good ones (high end in some cases compared to others) is much due to the fact that it becomes your sedan of sorts for everything, from everyday use to a wedding, dining and wining the wife and so on.

25 years and back, land rovers ruled the Dominican roads 100%... Then came the Montero to change the landscape!

9. Likes Rep Dom liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    Jeepetas are a need for the road in the DR, cheap ones don't make the cut and top of the hill will only get dents and cost too much to upkeep. The reason why many prefer the good ones (high end in some cases compared to others) is much due to the fact that it becomes your sedan of sorts for everything, from everyday use to a wedding, dining and wining the wife and so on.

25 years and back, land rovers ruled the Dominican roads 100%... Then came the Montero to change the landscape!
    so, PICHARDO, what is your take on the assertion that they are status symbols for some, who spend every penny on paying the banknote, and do not have cold water in the refrigerator. yes, the same guys with illegal hookups to Edenorte...

11. Likes Onions/Carrots liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    so, PICHARDO, what is your take on the assertion that they are status symbols for some, who spend every penny on paying the banknote, and do not have cold water in the refrigerator. yes, the same guys with illegal hookups to Edenorte...
    Hardly! This is more true in places like the US or UK where this type of vehicle is considered a wasteful hog and overall show off. In the DR, again, it's a matter of the roads and law of the land (bigger is better).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The real question the OP is asking.. is how do these people make the money to buy these expensive cars in a third world country. I can 100% guarantee that the majority of the owners of these vehicles are not doctors, lawyers, or engineers. I come from a family full of doctors and very few if any of them make over 50k RD$ per month, and 2 of them work at HOMS, recognized as one of the best hospitals in the cibao region.

Here's a story of a family I am close friends with that owns 50 or so 2012 Jeepetas between 20 or so family members. These people eat at my house weekly so I know their entire history.

The grandfather started a small dealership in La Vega in 1990 selling motorcycles and cheap used cars. What he did, was "fiar" or sell motorcycles on credit to people that otherwise could not afford to buy them. These people would jump at the idea to own a motorcycle that they could never afford in even their wildest dreams with a 5% down payment initially. Afterwards, the grandfather would hire "tigueres" (thieves) to go out and steal back the motorcycle from the person that purchased it. He would then send the motorcycle off to Santiago or the Capital to be sold on the black market for 50% of its value. He would continue to collect on the payments from the poor guy that had the motorcycle stolen from him and the dealer was never suspected. He was caught once in the late 90s for doing it but just paid off the police to make the matter disappear. It was on the news and everything but somehow the matter was tossed off as a small mistake and never heard about again. This family is now the owners of the biggest auto dealership in La Vega ( and I assume the entire Cibao area).

This accounts for 50 or so jeepetas you will see in Santiago and La Vega . Not so pretty now eh?

14. Likes donP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

SUV's are a status symbol here and that's why most business owners and professionals that can afford them will have one. Since there are a lot of business owners and professionals there will be a lot of suv's. I expect laundering makes up a portion but I doubt it is a majority. It may look that way to some from the outside especially when people want to believe it for personal justification reasons.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast