Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: how so many expensive jeepetas in this country?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default how so many expensive jeepetas in this country?

I am really amazed about the number of jeepetas in this country.
    Jeepetas are premium cars, very expensive everywhere at any country.
    How in a developing (just not to say third world) country there are so many premium cars?
    Just an example, in Spain, where people earns 3, 4 times more than a dominican, they can only afford those jeepetas if they are mid-high class professionals.
    It would be like if I would be in Barcelona for example and all roads were plenty of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborgini ... no way, it would be ilogical situation, so ...

how this happens in this country? really curious about it ...

Just one of a long list of things that I cannot really understand from this country ....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We probably should have a poll on this. Something like

A) Political graft
    B) Money Laundering
    C) It's cheap to live here otherwise so let's get a Jeepeta
    D) A and B not C

3. Likes DR Mpe liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

E) They are Pichardo's associates

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Many and varied are the explanations:

1. Though there is widespread poverty in DR there are very wealthy Dominicans with the means to purchase such vehicles.

2. There are pensioned and well-invested foreigners with the means. Other foreigners work as professionals and entrepreneurs in the DR and this provides them with the means.

3. Drug dealers and their extended families.

4. Baseball players and their extended families.

5. Persons receiving financial assistance from family/lovers outside the country.

6. Dominicans that have worked hard abroad that return home with money saved and/or pensions.

Just some explanations.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

D) A lot of those really fancy SUV are STOLEN from other countries and end up in the Dominican Republic.

7. Dislikes ExtremeR disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of us retirees from abroad have them.
    Der Fish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all about appearances-looking rich. The site had a member who was a talented mechanic working on BMW, Mercedes, etc and he said that he could not make a living in the DR as the owners of these vehicles spent every cent they had paying for the car and would not change the oil or do any maintenance. These high end cars make the owners look wealthy and are a big boost to their love life. Some say (not me of course) that driving these cars make up for the fact that nature left them out when it comes to the size of certain of their appendages.

10. Likes pollogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Also the roads are terrible, traffic lights ALWAYS not working, tailgating is second nature to most Dominicans and you think a person should subject a Cadillac Escalade to the streets of the DR? I think not. A Rav 4, Montero Sport, even a Dune Buggy are all better choses then something like Infiniti QX56 in the DR.

12. Likes Ricky6, Jetblue Flight 811 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Dominicans are asset rich but cash poor. This results in things being leveraged to the hilt.

One of my old landlords - they had 2 nice SUV's, 2 apartments, but honestly they didn't have the money to for example pay someone to fix their own window. Just living hand to mouth month to month. Their maid told me that they hadn't paid her for 2 months. etc. They even asked to borrow money from ME! lol imagina te!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

people from developed countries often assume that a poor country consists only of poor people. in reality however, most of these countries consist of very very rich, and poor people, with only a few people in the middle. so you could say that in the dr, most of the people who can afford a car have enough money to buy an expensive one. most of the rest of dominicans is not able to afford a car at all (note that you see also much more small motorcycles than in developed countries.)

in addition, wealth is much more openly flaunted in the dr than in a lot of european countries (not all, in some eastern european capitals, i saw even more expensive suv's than in santo domingo).

15. Likes pollogringo liked this post
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast