Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: You Guys Have Really Scared me about Crime in DR, PLEASE help!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by potatohead View Post
    Hi Jeff, I'm a newbie like you and was considering a trip to DR. I also read thru the posts and determined that DR was one dangerous place. My old thre ad is on here someplace and I got the same consolations that you are getting......like: "Yes I was attacked by a guy with a knife during the day in a crowded park, but it was a one time thing." "Yeah my buddy was shot a couple times but he was in a bad place at night." "No worse than other places"...........that's pure BS. In other places I don't get attacked by guys with machetes because i want to explore some out of the way beaches! There are many places in the world where the population doesn't spend all their time trying to steal your money. Anyway, good luck, I decided to go elsewhere this winter....................PH
    Please don't tell me you let a bunch of user names on a website DICTATE where you spend your winter. There are many posters on this board that are BORING. 99.9% of people say I NEVER or RARELY go out at night because they are scared of living and having fun. Let me give you a glimpse of what a lot of people do in the DR:

1.Go to Jumbo, La Sirena or Plaza Lama DAILY, just because they have NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!

2. Talk to neighbors about ABSOLUTE NOTHING invite neighbors over for coffee, and more talk about NOTHING.

3. Take a NAP after lunch.

4. Drink beer at night with neighbors( and you guess it MORE BS TALK WITH NEIGBORS ABOUT NOTHING) wait some may talk about what is on sale at La Sirena, and what they bought.

5. At the end of the night some PRAY that tomorrow brings a little EXCITEMENT.

The Danger in the DR is not the crime you can get robbed or murder at Disneyland if someone wanted you dead. The danger in the DR comes from BOREDOM!!!. I was MURDERED in the DR of BOREDOM, and I thought boredom was a state of mind boy was I wrong. The Danger is Oct 12 2012 will be JUST LIKE June 8 2018 and if this is not DANGER I do not know what is. EVERYDAY is the EXACT SAME.

The crime is NOT an issue in DR for a tourist. I live in a VERY VERY VERY dangerous city, but it is not dangerous for tourist.

2. Likes DeadHandStraight liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They kid me about looking like ted danson, the cheers guy, is that who your thinkin of. That was quite a compliment from dulce.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    dv8 must have checked out the OP's link to his facebook page. The man is absolutely georgous with a capital G. I would invite him for a beer and teach him how to be safe anyday. He will do fine as a surfer in the DR!
    All that the the OP wrote in his frist post about his fears is what he read here on DR1. All of those dangerous things and happened and much more in the DR. I suggest he does a search and reads the old thread about tips on how to be safer in the DR. I haven't read it lately but there are some goods tips. Things have changed over the years since I lived there but I am sure the thread will have some updates.
    It makes me laugh when the same people writing about the dangers on DR1 get pis*es when someone says it scares them. The same posters then get all defensive and ......................... You can't have it both ways people. It IS dangerous in places and it IS safe in places.
    What is an OP please, (Ocean Pacific???) Dulce thanks for your gracious compliment

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffedmonds42 View Post
    They kid me about looking like ted danson, the cheers guy, is that who your thinkin of. That was quite a compliment from dulce.
    Ted Danson is like 70 years old, hardly a compliment there mate.
    OP = Original poster

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Original POster

Quote Originally Posted by jeffedmonds42 View Post
    What is an OP please, (Ocean Pacific???) Dulce thanks for your gracious compliment
    OP stands for Original poster.

They get into a lot of strange abbreviations here on DR1. I found 5 in one post I didn't understand, so don't feel bad.
    Der Fish

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had such a nice read watching you guys banter with each other, what a fun crowd. I really hope to meet with some of you when I arrive. Is DR like PR on steroids? Cause the driving in PR is pretty outrageous. probably a dumb question because at least PR has an underlying legal system that is similar to 1st world locales. Frankly I cant wait to get down there and enjoy myself. At first I was just going to stay at a Hotel in cabarete but considering just renting a small villa for a week. By the way things are going to hell in a handbasket here in the states. We are being taxed to death, and it is going to get worse. RE values are stuck, my 401K stiull havent recovered from 2008 and there are murders in Dallas everyday. Possibly snorting coke and chasing putas/os puts one in a position to be around the types we speak of, knowing also crime can be quite random. Anyway I am rambling, will try and get in shape for a good surf and a few beers when I arrive. thanks to all who posted. I will PM the ones that were nice...ha ha ha

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    that is SO not true! people taste like chicken. chicken!
    Those people I have tasted tasted more like fish to me
    Der Fish

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMB773 View Post
    WOW!!! So people do live in Maine. You are the first person I ever heard of stepping foot in Maine. The town is called " BATH" where you live? I would have NEVER guessed it was crime in Maine. Are there MOOSE in Maine?
    Yes there are moose here. I've seen only one on the road about 5 miles from Quebec last summer, but there are warnings by the highway patrol to be careful because they are Big. bigger than some cars. and the don't bounce like a chicken when you hit it. Bath is where the USA Has the battleships made along with Pascagoola MS.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isobel View Post
    He told me once that he had been best friends with George Best....He is apparently originally from Ireland. His accent could be affected, but he certainly has the Irish blarney. I am told he made his money in Canada....He was supporting a very beautiful young woman [she told me] and her kids... That can't be bad for the economy or the children. Live and let live!
    He sounds like either was a friend of George....or devoutly subscribes to George's lifestyle.

I'm sure many of you have heard one of George's best quotes "I blew most of my money on women, booze, and drugs...and the rest I wasted".

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Those people I have tasted tasted more like fish to me
    Der Fish
    Too much deryl, too much

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast