Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy live turkeys...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default where to buy live turkeys...

does anyone know the location of a turkey farm where an individual may go, pick out his bird, have it killed and cleaned and be on his way? with the holidays approaching, i prefer to have a fresh turkey which i can brine rather then the frozen turkeys you find in the super markets. prefer an area closer to the capital but if i have to travel then i will. thanks in advance
    Last edited by Berzin; 07-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ricky11 View Post
    does anyone know the location of a turkey farm where an individual may go, pick out his bird, have it killed and cleaned and be on his way? with the holidays approaching, i prefer to have a fresh turkey which i can brine rather then the frozen turkeys you find in the super markets. prefer an area closer to the capital but if i have to travel then i will. thanks in advance
    its a shame that since i posted this question almost 2 1/2 days ago, it has had 92 views but not 1 reply. people live through out this country and nobody has seen a turkey--amazing. come on people, help out.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question...and one that i'm eager to hear the answer to. my father used to buy fresh turkey meat in Bonao for years at the local market in downtwon Bonao where all of the fresh produce is sold--including fresh meat--but my god, the place smells terrible!

Frank

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You can buy one on the highway just before the Boca crossroads. The kid only has goats on the roadside slaughter bar, but he'll take you to his yard to get one, if you really want to eat something that's been eating what they possibly have. I used to get goats from his dad who is now dead, and the kid doesn't care for them well, well the goats anyway.

Best Turkeys I know is a small holding in Mirador, Jarabacoa. Quite a trip from the Capital for a bird.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some really nice birds in Jarabacoa. Might be worth the trip!

Frank

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Guinea fowl are also good and more widely available - ask the local butcher in the village.

BBC - Food - Guinea fowl recipes

yapask1

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe there are turkeys running around the one stand near the Pulga en Puerto Plata. A few blocks down hill as the road wends toward the ocean. They have guinea fowl and chickens always and I believe Iíve seen pavos there also.
    Der Fish

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank12 View Post
    I've seen some really nice birds in Jarabacoa. Might be worth the trip!

Frank
    Same birds, different feathers

9. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

you want a chewy bird... go for it...

BelgianK

Post Thanks / Like

See if the meat dept. mgr. at your local supermarket can help you out?
    How about the "Mercado Nuevo" they have everything,probably including Cholera bacteria.
    CC
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast