Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: And another great thing about the DR!

  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default And another great thing about the DR!

    It's so cheap to get anything fixed here:

    3 pairs of shoes sewing and gluing RD250
    Mitsubishi SUV - replace alternator, power steering pump, timing belt and 4 pulleys RD16,000
    Mitsubishi SUV - alignment RD300
    Mitsubishi SUV - reupholster interior RD6000
    Mitsubishi SUV - repair propane gas system RD200
    Change buttons on two xbox controllers (US50 new) RD400
    Fix computer RD500 (wouldn't cut on because of loose connection I think)
    Custom weight training rack RD1500
    Replace rusted iron bars on house doors and gate RD3500
    Change oil, diagnose and tune up motorcycle RD500

  2. Likes DOC1727, cobraboy liked this post
  3. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gravity Fed

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    It's so cheap to get anything fixed here:
    I totally agree.
    Just had my petrol pump problem repaired for 100 RD$.



    donP

  4. Likes Criss Colon, barker1964, Luperon liked this post
  5. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    It's so cheap to get anything fixed here:

    3 pairs of shoes sewing and gluing RD250
    Mitsubishi SUV - replace alternator, power steering pump, timing belt and 4 pulleys RD16,000
    Mitsubishi SUV - alignment RD300
    Mitsubishi SUV - reupholster interior RD6000
    Mitsubishi SUV - repair propane gas system RD200
    Change buttons on two xbox controllers (US50 new) RD400
    Fix computer RD500 (wouldn't cut on because of loose connection I think)
    Custom weight training rack RD1500
    Replace rusted iron bars on house doors and gate RD3500
    Change oil, diagnose and tune up motorcycle RD500
    As a four-times-a-year visitor (eight weeks total so discount or give credit accordingly), the problems I face is knowing where to find a fair provider of service and having confidence that it is a fair price. DR1 certainly helps as well as recommendations from others. When I've found fair (not just cheap) vendors/providers I tend to be very loyal. Such loyalty, I believe, encourages such service providers to see the importance of honest, fair pricing and not just "Gouge the Gringo" pricing.

  6. Likes drescape24 liked this post
  7. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default It takes a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
    ... where to find a fair provider of service and having confidence that it is a fair price. DR1 certainly helps as well as recommendations from others.
    Honest recommendations* can help a lot and can save you an expensive trial-and-error procedure.
    It took me a while to find an excellent repairman for my inverters, my pool plumbing, painting our roofs, etc.
    Well, the brakes of my car I do.


    donP


    *)
    The other type is more like 'my primo knows how to fix that...'

  8. #5
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,255
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sofa reupholstered RD6000
    Montero - replace tie rod ends, anti sway bar bushings and steering arm RD6300

  9. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,993
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    It's so cheap to get anything fixed here...
    Agreed. Fairly often I feel as if I'm not paying nearly as much as I think the work is worth.

  10. Likes mountainannie liked this post
  11. #7
    dv8
    dv8 is offline
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    good thing about living in london was that i only needed to charge my oyster card. no cars, parts, oil changes and any of that crap miesposo spends money on rather than giving it to me!

  12. Likes bob saunders liked this post
  13. #8
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    good thing about living in london was that i only needed to charge my oyster card. no cars, parts, oil changes
    and any of that crap miesposo spends money on rather than giving it to me!
    Yep, men need to get their priorities straight........ lol

  14. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
    . . . When I've found fair (not just cheap) vendors/providers I tend to be very loyal. Such loyalty, I believe, encourages such service providers to see the importance of honest, fair pricing and not just "Gouge the Gringo" pricing.
    Good plan. Don't know if I've got special radar or what, but I've never really had "Gouge the Gringo" prices in 32 years here. Mayhaps there was no such thing in the early days, and now that there is, I'm already wiser in who/where to go.

    Here's a tip, if you haven't already found tried and true go-to guys and stores. For repairs, stay with the guy every minute to see what he does. Since the squeaky wheel (that's you breathing over his shoulder) gets the oil here, the job will get done in proper time and sequence, and not get botched by start-and-stop operations and casual "helpers" and passersby as he gets interrupted by other squeaky wheels throughout the day that also can raise his costs which he passes on to you. Even better, next time you might be able do it yourself.

  15. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,048
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I got the phone number for the Haitian guy that the Domincan guys hired to do the high ladder work on installing my window air conditioners. That was about 4 years ago and I have found that he can do just about anything in the house -- electric, plumbing, rough carpentry, moving, whatever

    I pay him a minimum of 200 pesos for a visit, then 1200 for the entire day if I have a big list.\

    He has his own tools, and goes out to buy whatever he needs for the job.. always returns with the receipt and the bill.

    Not to mention the shoemaker.. and now a tailor is opening up in the neighborhood...

    WOW.. sometimes I remember the costs of technicians in the US as a real nightmare. Although I have had a number of really great technicians down in North carolina.. the mountain boys. ... I had a great electrician named Sparky who could also do a bit of plumbing....

  16. Likes pelaut liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •