Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing a vehicle from the US

Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing a vehicle from the US

We will be moving to Sosua in the near future and I would like to take my 1998 Ford Ranger. I have found what appears to be a reasonably priced company in the US for shipping to the port Rio Haina. However, as I understand from previous DR1 postings I would be best off to contact a Customs Clearance Company to handle all import issues into the DR and delivery of the vehicle to Sosua (at a fixed price). I would appreciate information as to recommended companies, what I can expect in the way of service, price, etc.

Ken
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read the archives then you know that the usual response to questions regading importing cars is to sell them before you move and buy another car here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

By all means you need to use a Customs clearance agent, but try to have all calculations done BEFORE you bring the car. Customs is a very corrupt department and even if you have everything in order, they can look for ways to suck money out of you.

Also, agree to a price for the services with the Customs agency prior to shipping the vehicle... it would be nice to use an agency with experience in vehicle clearance. Sometimes, a agency might tell you about many problems they encountered for taking the car out, and that they had to bribe a lot of people, so they ask you to refund that cost, and you have no way of proving whether it is true or not...

It's risky and the car probably will cost as much as buying one here. Unless you have a friend or a relative who is a customs agency, be carefull with them.

Hope this helps.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Over 5 years?

Isn't there a law that you can't import vehicles over 5 years or did they change that?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as I'm aware, that law still stands.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone that attempts to import a car here "right now" without exceptional contacts in customs or at the port has rocks in their head.

This is retirement fund time, many of these people will loose their jobs over the coming months due to the change in government and they will be looking at you to support them financially.

English Twit!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default importing cars

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Anyone that attempts to import a car here "right now" without exceptional contacts in customs or at the port has rocks in their head.

This is retirement fund time, many of these people will loose their jobs over the coming months due to the change in government and they will be looking at you to support them financially.
    I am bringing my car there but it is only one year old. I think you cannot take a car over 5 years old. Do I have contacts? Yes. I do not care if they LOSE their jobs and get let LOOSE brcause of a change in Government. I have arranged door to door with one of the largest shipping Companies in the World. If it does not arrive, insurance pays. I think it is really important not to try and do these things on the cheap. Like if you want fresh hay this is the price. If you don't mind if it has been through the horse once, this is what you get.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Please post your story when the car arrives and is delivered to you. If you are pleased with the service and the cost.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default We'll all be waiting.....

....to hear from Wales!

English Twit!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Car Import

Quote Originally Posted by POP Bad Boy
    ....to hear from Wales!
    What you have to do is to make absolutely sure that !!!!! No there are enougjh naysers on this board - go look at investing - what are people trying to do? Deflate the value of what they have, until no - one wants to live there. That is OK as long as they do it in the next two years, after that i may not be interesyed in buying, I am not placing an advertisement but if anyone really wants to go back to ?????? I have the money - Of course along with my CELL MATES ASK HILLBILLY.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast