Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Importing an Auto

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing an Auto

I am planning on importing a 1994 Jeep Cherokee to the DR, I am just trying to get a round about figure on the cost of shipping and the taxes and duties I will have to pay as well as register and insure the car. The car will be shipped from NYC.
    Badpiece

"Believe it!"
    Post Thanks / Like

Weren't the rules changed a while back to ban the importation of cars aged 10 yrs or more? Pat, search the archives, there have been many, many threads on this topic.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

No cars older than 5 years old I believe.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You're right

Quote Originally Posted by Escott
    No cars older than 5 years old I believe.
    For some strange reason they only allow old people --like us. Old cars no-takes away from the beauty of the country.

JOHN

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping Roulette

Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33
    I am planning on importing a 1994 Jeep Cherokee to the DR, I am just trying to get a round about figure on the cost of shipping and the taxes and duties I will have to pay as well as register and insure the car. The car will be shipped from NYC.
    Badpiece

Badpiece33:

I am not sure if a 1994 is still importable, but you can import a vehicle older than 5 years. However you would pay duty as if it were a 2000 model. I do know that 1997's are still being allowed in as a business acquaintance recently shipped a 1997 Toyota.

From New York, expect to pay anywhere from $800-$1,200 for shipping, depending on the shipper and the shipping line. Customs duties are never consistent and best handled through a shipper/broker. The good ones will take care of everything door to door, which includes matricula, plates, insurance, etc.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping Roulette, part two

UPDATE: My shipping sources now confirm that passenger vehicles older than 5 years will no longer be accepted for import into the Dominican Republc after April 30, 2005. Unless, of course, you know someone in Aduana or are willling to wait until someone figures out (again) that this policy actually chokes off important sources of revenue for the Republica.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Last edited by playacaribe2; 04-18-2005 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badpiece33
    Badpiece
    Good luck with this man. Let me know how it turns out as I have also considered sending a vehicule out there.

Moderator DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend in Aduana so I will try to find out if I can get it in. Thanks for all the input guys.
    Badpiece
    PS
    Eltigre you coming to NYC party on the 30th?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

is there much tax and duties on importing stuff??? i was thinking if i can get a good price of importing my speed boat.

Jwb
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by playacaribe2
    UPDATE: My shipping sources now confirm that passenger vehicles older than 5 years will no longer be accepted for import into the Dominican Republc after April 30, 2005. Unless, of course, you know someone in Aduana or are willling to wait until someone figures out (again) that this policy actually chokes off important sources of revenue for the Republica.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2
    Can a car dealer licensed to do business in the DR import a 1995 or not ? I keep hearing different answers on this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast