Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xoom caribe express warning

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default xoom caribe express warning

friday i send my sister in law 1k using xoom, to be picked up at caribe express. 1 hour later e-mail tells me money is ready for pick-up. saturday she goes to caribe express herrera office and is told no money is there for her, she waits 1 hour and then is told she has to wait 5 days. i call customer service who assure me the money is there. sister in law has the secret code and her cedula. sunday closed. monday morning she returns to caribe express and is told "no money". i call customer service and they tell me the money is there and that they have e-mailed the herrera office and told them to release the money. it is now monday afternoon and she has not yet gotten the money. xoom, caribe express, are partners with banco progresso. you have been warned. i would post this in the sending money thread but this is happening now, still not resolved, and i want to warn as many readers as possible............perhaps the manager is using the money for his own profit, gambling on the exchange rate maybe, while delaying this transfer........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Happened to me sometimes, call Hemisferio 809534-8668 ext 255. This is the department of Operations they are in charge of the transactions not Caribe tours Express. What also worked write a mail on the XOOM Website they resolved it in two hours.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

do wire transfer.

cheaper. and more reliable/traceable.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I once used Caribe Express to send money to Chirimoya for a charitable effort in SD to which I wished to donate. Not only did it clear quickly but they delivered it to her home! We were both very surprised.

On reflection my self description as a little old lady with arthritis who didn't want to stand in line too long (!) plus the provision of Chiri's address could have been taken to mean that she was the little old lady who couldn't hobble to the Caribe Express office to collect.............

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    I once used Caribe Express to send money to Chirimoya for a charitable effort in SD to which I wished to donate. Not only did it clear quickly but they delivered it to her home! We were both very surprised.

On reflection my self description as a little old lady with arthritis who didn't want to stand in line too long (!) plus the provision of Chiri's address could have been taken to mean that she was the little old lady who couldn't hobble to the Caribe Express office to collect.............

For the same charitable case I sent to her (actually to the farther of the girl) by wire transfer , and it also went through very well.
    Hopefully the princess gets well soon after medical help in NY.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

XOOM works with Caribe Express. Hemisferio is no longer in business was eaten up by Caribe Express. (Xoom used to work with Hemisferio). If Hemisferio still operates, it's only as a unit of Caribe Express.

I know Xoom well, and never had problems. The issue with Xoom and CE is that all transactions pass through central office, and regardless of what location you "send" the money to, it always gets routed to the LAST location where you pciked up the money. If you pick up in PP and then you specify you wnat to send to Santiago, it still will end up in PP.

If the message says "AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP", trust me, the money IS somewhere in caribex system.

You need to call Caribe Express main office, (809) 412-7506, ask for "envios" and tell them you are awaiting XOOM transfer. They know XOOM well. They will ask for the recipient's phone number. Tell them the same number you put as recipients phone on the transfer with xoom, and they will look it up. Also have the transfer date available (date when it says Available for Pickup). They download the files from Xoom every two hours.

If the result by phone number and by name, both result in No match, call Xoom. They may need to resend the file to them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What is XOOM? Sounds interesting! How does Caribe Tours get tied in???

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

XOOM - http://www.xoom.com - is an inexpensive Money transfer service, a strong competitor to Western Union and Moneygram.

Caribe Express (not Caribe Tours) is their local payout agent in the DR.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing everyone has to remember with Caribe Express - they are not same as Western Union that you can pick up at any location, with the transfer number and even just your name.

Caribe Express does not use transfer control numbers, and any transfers are referred to first by phone number, then by name, and can be picked up ONLY AT THE LOCATION where it was SENT to. If there are various locations within the same zone, usually they can be picked up at any location therein.

For example, Santo Domingo has these locations for Caribe Express:

- La Principal (Av. Leopoldo Navarro esq. 27 de Febrero)
    - Santo Domingo (centro)
    - Santo Domingo Este
    - Santo Domingo Oeste
    - Santo Domingo Norte/Villa Mella

So if your recipient lives in Herrera, and it gets routed to La Principal, in Herrera they DO NOT SEE the money. They have to phone La Principal to inquire and then "push" the money over to them.

So whenever somebody says they do not see the transfer, ask them to call La Principal if the transfer comes from abroad. If it is the DR transfer, they do not pass via La Principal, so you nee dto phone the sending location.

On the other hand, with WU, you pick up anywhere, with just a control number.

That is CE's disadvantage for being cheaper service.

Hope this info is helpful.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I had a similar problem with xoom

I sent my fiance money via xoom for delivery to our home in Villa Marbon and was told it was out for delivery on the second day. After several phone calls to xooms customer service and an additional 5 days she was called by Caribe Express and told the money was waiting for her to pickup. She told them it was sent for home delivery and they told her was sent for pickup only. This was after xoom wouldn't let me change the disbursement method from delivery to pickup. Their customer service is poor and uninformed. Not worth the savings over Western Union in my opinion.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast