Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vimenpaq - opinons on them as a shipper from Florida to the DR

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vimenpaq - opinons on them as a shipper from Florida to the DR

We just called this company Vimenpaq (809)-532-7388, web site is www.vimenpaq.com.do, (the web site does not appear to be working at the moment) which works out of the local Western Union office. They ended up with a box that was supposed to go to EPS for me. EPS had changed their address in Florida a while back, and the box went to that old address. Vimenpaq somehow received it, got it to the DR, tracked me down and called me to let me know where to pick it up. The price they charged seemed to be at a better rate than what EPS would have charged. They have posted a rate of $1.75 US per pound for shipping.

The reason we called them was to ask what the duty would be to bring in a TV with their service. The person who works with customs at Vimenpaq said it would be 56% of the invoice price. That is steep, but much better than you can do buying locally even when you add another $200 or so for shipping.

Does anyone have any experience with them and have they found that 56% duty number to be correct?

Grupo Vimenca is another way to get to the site but it is under construction.
    Last edited by windeguy; 11-30-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default That rate is about half of what EPS Charges!!!

Hope to hear more about THIS!!!
    Cris Colon
    Open and General Forums
    www.DR1.com

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as the rate goes, make sure you ask them if they add a "modifier" for oversize packages such as a tv. These typically will increase the rates per pound considerably. Also, do you have any contact #'s for the US or the DR? The web page seems to be having issues.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More information on Vimenpaq Trans Express partnership

More information on Vimenpaq:

Telephone 809-200-1163. I spoke to Johanys de Jesus.

Transexpress is working with Western Union/Vimenca and they call the service Vimenpaq, but it is really done and tracked using the Transexpress web page. For shipping packages, the account set up took 5 minutes of a phone call plus the confirmation email was sent to me immediately. They have a tracking set up on the web site. Regular postal letter service has an annual fee according to the web site of $25US

TransExpress

The rates from Florida are:

First Pound is $6 USD, Additional Pounds are $1.75 USD up to 125lbs and I believe $1.50 per pound over 125lbs. However, the web site agree with what recall from the phone conversation I had when setting up the free account. I believe she told me it was $1.75 per lb up to 80 lbs and $1.25 per lb over 80 lbs. Nothing was mentioned about oversize packages costing more:But that should be investigated.

If you have something that weighs more than 125 it is at $1.50 US per pound. I only found out about this because an X10 box got sent to the old address for EPS, who used to work with TransExpress and piggyback their charge on top of theirs. Vimenca/Vimenpaq ended up with the package and tracked me down. Charging less for it than EPS would have charged. They also have a list of duties/taxes on their we site. Most stuff is at 54% duty plus I believe another 8% tax. Video cameras are over 100%!!! Taxing those "Sony moments" heavily...

I calculated that a TV that weighs 60 lbs and invoices at $1,000 would cost $729.25 to bring in. So you pay $1,729.25 for a $1,000 set from the US.
    That same set here is about $3,000 and probably is a used/refurbished model a few years old.

I specifically asked the woman at TransExpress about bringing in a TV and we came up with numbers similar to mine above. She never mentioned the oversize "modifier". Anyone else digging into this, please let us all know if there are any other hidden charges beyond what I have seen. And also if you can confirm which rates per pound are used at what break points.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Correction to my above post on shipping

There is a small adder to shipping a larger package. I found the shipping calculator on the web site

TransExpress

and put in dimensions of 30X40X10 inches and it would cost $752 to bring in a 60lb television with a value of $1,000 US.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Very important is if this company is part of the agreement that Aduanas has with EPS and business mail, that all items less than US200 do not pay import taxes. If this is not the case the things can get very expensive quick.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The 200 per item expemption

Chip makes a very good point. I had already sent an email to them for clarification on that and other questions.

Any item under $200 US does not pay a duty via EPS, even if the total value of the shipment is over $200 US as long as no single item is over $200 there should be no duty. The calculator in Transexpress does not reflect this and I indeed asked for clarification.

I don't know if that exemption with EPS is always for the first $200 US of any item as well.. Does anyone know that detail?

PJT
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Chip makes a very good point. I had already sent an email to them for clarification on that and other questions.

Any item under $200 US does not pay a duty via EPS, even if the total value of the shipment is over $200 US as long as no single item is over $200 there should be no duty. The calculator in Transexpress does not reflect this and I indeed asked for clarification.

I don't know if that exemption with EPS is always for the first $200 US of any item as well.. Does anyone know that detail?
    Note: Be careful of this matter.

PJT having been in the shipping and transportation logistics industry for over 35 years plus and has knowledge of import/export shipments. Import/export shipments of goods from one origin shipper (person) to one destination consignee (person) having an aggregate value of over US$ 200 is subject to duty unless the item(s) shipped are specifically exempted..

Regards,
    PJT

PJT
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PJT View Post
    Import/export shipments of (**LIKE or SIMILAR) goods from one origin shipper (person) to one destination consignee (person) having an aggregate value of over US$ 200 is subject to duty unless the item(s) shipped **is/are specifically exempted..

PJT needed to edit to place the **add-in's for clarification.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I called Vimenpaq and they told me that there is no modifier for package size, it is just based on weight.

Also, as I would like to import a used television, Vimenpaq connected me to Aduanas and they explained to me that I could creat a bill of the new value of the tv, the date of manufacture and the estimated value of the tv today. However, I am somewhat hesitant to do this because we know how flim flamy this guys are.

Also, the is a Vimenpaq office in La Sirena in Santiago so I believe I am going to open an account today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast