Thread: buying furniture/appliances and cars in Santo Domingo vs. Santiago

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default buying furniture/appliances and cars in Santo Domingo vs. Santiago

I will be buying all things necessary for a house in Santiago and a car as well. Is it worth it to buy them in Santo Domingo and have them delivered to Santiago or is the pricing and variety similar in Santiago itself?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say that there is more of a selection in Santo Domingo, bigger upscale appliance stores, for instance, more US and European brands if that is what youre looking for. But Santiago has all of the basics, and for things typically used by Dominicans, the prices are the same. Examples: fans, stoves/ovens, beds, etc. Ochoa on Feb 27 has appliances, lighting, outdoor furniture, office furniture, BBqs, etc. Just check the pricing before tossing it in your cart. <but if you are looking for a specialty item, like a waterbed for example, or a very special light or subzero refridgeration, Santo Domingo.
    One place I would definitely check is the highway out of Santiago to the south. Loads of local made furniture, and some pretty sweet bamboo beds on the east side of the highway, good prices.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

thanks fightfish

Done and dusted!
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll get a better buy in Santo Domingo as it is the MAJOR port in the DR thus eliminating transportating costs..You will find a better selection and more in stock items...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Except forthe cost of transporting oneself to Santo Domingo and back.