Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Computer Boffins here?????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any Computer Boffins here?????

Hola

Ok so i am completely usless when it comes to computers, I have windows XP and for some reason when i want to access a webpage through internet explorer is displays an error message "internet explorer cannot display webpage".

I have run the diagnostic and it says that it cannot detect a problem, i am of course also connected to the internet. When i go to access and defaults from start menu, in the custom settings it has selected "use my current web browser" which is mozilla firefox, when i try to select the "internet explorer" option it just doesn't work.

This is driving me mad so if anyone with half a brain can help a dork out i would be very grateful

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh i have been to microsoft help page and they want $60 before they even help you!!!!!!!!!! And many of the help forums are only accessable through..yep you guessed it....internet explorer! aaarrrgggghhhhhhh

If anyone can help me please talk to me as if two year old as i dont understand the 'whatdyamecallit's" and "thigymebobs"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Press f5. Usually works for me. No idea why

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and thanks

Got 7, the round and square button things i could handle lol. Anyway i did what you said and no joy i'm affraid. Another thing is when accessing windows or microsoft programmes it takes a long time and get a small message with "windows installer" on it?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Press f5. Usually works for me. No idea why
    Yes am considering pressing f5....with a sledgehammer!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Before you start reinstalling windows it would probably be worth a shot doing a simple system restore to a date when it did function.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have original disk, computer was sent to me by a friend and she installed pretty much everything for me.

Can i download and reinstall windows XP online??

Tried system restore but nada!

Sorry i'm not being much help

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps email Rocky through his website, not through DR1? He's the computer boffin.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Restore your computer to a date that the computer was working.

Go to Contol Panel, then Performance and Maintenance, look to top right corner and find "System Restore" find a date that your feel your computer was working and restore to that date, should work.

There are lots of trojan malware items that are stopping IE 7 from loading websites

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i get this problem occasionaly with XP. Most of the time it is the site that is having problems and not my computer. I've seen it happen here on DR1 and on Craigslist and other sites I frequent. It could be a problem with your proxy settings. I wouldnt do a full windows install tho. Perhaps reinstall your browser or try a different browser.

not really an answer...just trying to help tho.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast