Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nasty bug bite

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default nasty bug bite

Hi there,

I'm living in Puerto Plata and 2 nights ago I noticed I had this bug bite on my leg. It looked like a little ant bite which I had had before so I just popped the tiny little puss bubble (gross, i know... sorry) like I had before, expecting it to just go away but now it has grown into this big ball on the side of my calf that is hard and red and very tender. I look at it now and it looks like there are 2 little holes, so maybe it was a spider bite, but I never felt or saw anything... So I was told by some people that I just have to wait it out. That in a couple days it should get softer and then I should be able to squeeze whatever is in there, out... I would like to avoid going to the doctor or pharmacy here if it won't be dangerous, because I am going home to visit in Canada in 6 days and so I can get it looked at there for free...

I'm sure a lot of you have experience with this, and so I was wondering if it's alright to just wait it out and let the bite run it's course, or if I should go and see a doctor... It's red, hard, and about the width of a tennis ball, but the height of it is only a cm or 2....

Thanks for your help.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tink23 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm living in Puerto Plata and 2 nights ago I noticed I had this bug bite on my leg. It looked like a little ant bite which I had had before so I just popped the tiny little puss bubble (gross, i know... sorry) like I had before, expecting it to just go away but now it has grown into this big ball on the side of my calf that is hard and red and very tender. I look at it now and it looks like there are 2 little holes, so maybe it was a spider bite, but I never felt or saw anything... So I was told by some people that I just have to wait it out. That in a couple days it should get softer and then I should be able to squeeze whatever is in there, out... I would like to avoid going to the doctor or pharmacy here if it won't be dangerous, because I am going home to visit in Canada in 6 days and so I can get it looked at there for free...

I'm sure a lot of you have experience with this, and so I was wondering if it's alright to just wait it out and let the bite run it's course, or if I should go and see a doctor... It's red, hard, and about the width of a tennis ball, but the height of it is only a cm or 2....

Thanks for your help.
    We can all speculate for you..... but the answer is that... YES.. it could be dangerous.. it could be a brown recluse bite It could be Lymes

There is an American expression which I am sure that you probably use in Canada as well since it is British..

Do NOT BE "penny wise and pound foolish"

Go to the doctor here and now.. because the doctors here are familiar with ALL the bugs and all the bites and all the best remedies...

We would hate for you to get home and be paralysed or have to have your leg amputated or whatever.

That sort of thing is just TERRIBLE for our tourism business.....

ĘPLEASE TAKE the bitten leg down to the best clinic tomorrow and pay the few hundred pesos that it is going to cost you for the medicine.

It will probably be cheaper than eating lunch out.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice from Mountainannie. I had something a couple of years ago that I would describe exactly as you did. The big bump became an open wound. It grew larger and larger. When I finally went to the doctor, I was told I had cellulitis. The open wound took 2 months to heal, cost much in shots and antibiotics, and precluded my taking a planned trip to west Africa. So- my advice is to take care of business, Tink23. You will be glad you did.

Lindsey

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had this and it was a spider bite that lingered until I found out about Dermobiotic which can be purchased over the counter here in the dr...it took 30 days of daily applications

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be foolish, please go to the doctor. It sounds like you are bitten by a "cien pie".

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"THE SIZE OF A TENNIS BALL!!!" Get yee to the doctor asap, please.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Maye that you scratched and got infected in my guess.

Do NOT scratch one of those bites whatever you do.

Been there, posted about it. I got one infected that was as you described it, like a bad staph infection.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/650777-post1.html

dv8
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

go to any clinic in POP (brugal, bournigal, hernandez), the visit should be about 500 pesos or so. when doctor prescribes you anything ask in the farmacia if they have a generic version of a drug - will be way cheaper.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The one I had was the size of ( inbetween a quarter and a half dollar) not a tennis ball

Always see a doctor though if you have other syptoms like fever etc.

I was just in the hospital for some kind of leg infection and even though i have not had to take any medication for 10 days my leg swells 40% during the day and goes back to normal in the morning.

I was told to expect this for 3 weeks however the swelling is down significantly after 1 week

I also experienced side effects from the medicine

This place is definately different as I have spent the last 27 years living in sub-tropical
    climate

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

..........to the centipede suggestion.........I think the person would know if they were bitten by a centipede

even moquito bites grow three times the size if you touch them- best not to pop or squeeze anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast