Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Law and Minors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Law and Minors

Hello, I am new to the forum. I need some advice with a matter. I have visited this site for various questions I have had, and I know there are some hecklers out there. But i will give this a go anyhow.

I have been living in the DR for about 5 months now. I had met somebody and we are giving it a go. Everything is absolutely wonderful. The nitty gritty of it is, I left my boyfriend back home (in the US), and he left his girlfriend back home (in the DR). I have complete trust in this man, and we are able to freely discuss everything. The problem is that he was dating a girl who is now 17... about to be 18 in 20 days (he is 22). We have not heard from her, changed phone numbers, deleted facebook accounts the whole 9 yards. We received a call from his mother in distress the other day saying a lawyer (who happened to be the girls aunt) was at the house saying that my boyfriend had to come talk to her parents or they would go to justicia. He called the girl and she said that her parents did not want to go to the police, she just really wanted to be with him, marry him, live in her fantasy world, whatever. In other words, she is just screwing with him because she has 20 days before she turns 18 and is no longer a minor. Some days we receive phone calls that the parents just want a new stove and a new bed (and he has nothing more to worry about). Some days she calls and says she wants to get married. They are all well aware that he is dating an American with money, but I have made it clear that I will not be bailing anyone out of jail, or paying anyone off due to threats... no matter how much love we have. I have read enough horror stories. I am just wondering legally what does she/the parents have on him? He has never had sexual relations with her (we have texts and e-mails from her to prove this)... They were novio/novia for two years, and the parents never had a problem with it then. Now that shes about to turn 18 and he's dating an American there's a problem. Advice?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jmrc View Post

I have been living in the DR for about 5 months now. I had met somebody and we are giving it a go. Everything is absolutely wonderful. The nitty gritty of it is, I left my boyfriend back home (in the US), and he left his girlfriend back home (in the DR). I have complete trust in this man, and we are able to freely discuss everything. The problem is that he was dating a girl who is now 17... about to be 18 in 20 days (he is 22). We have not heard from her, changed phone numbers, deleted facebook accounts the whole 9 yards. We received a call from his mother in distress the other day saying a lawyer (who happened to be the girls aunt) was at the house saying that my boyfriend had to come talk to her parents or they would go to justicia. He called the girl and she said that her parents did not want to go to the police, she just really wanted to be with him, marry him, live in her fantasy world, whatever. In other words, she is just screwing with him because she has 20 days before she turns 18 and is no longer a minor. Some days we receive phone calls that the parents just want a new stove and a new bed (and he has nothing more to worry about). Some days she calls and says she wants to get married. They are all well aware that he is dating an American with money, but I have made it clear that I will not be bailing anyone out of jail, or paying anyone off due to threats... no matter how much love we have. I have read enough horror stories. I am just wondering legally what does she/the parents have on him? He has never had sexual relations with her (we have texts and e-mails from her to prove this)... They were novio/novia for two years, and the parents never had a problem with it then. Now that shes about to turn 18 and he's dating an American there's a problem. Advice?
    Let him deal with his drama. You are a couple, but in all things Dominican, he is, or should be, the expert.

What is that old saying, "Hell halth no fury like a woman scorned"? (or some such nonseness.) Certainly the family was expecting a marriage at the end of the courtship. While there's not likely a penalty for breaking off an engagement, the family will be a thorn in your side until they get some satisfaction.

Certainly, and last, but not least, DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE!

SKY
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you believe that they never had sex, than you are in "fantasy land". This is the DR, not Kansas.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    If you believe that they never had sex, than you are in "fantasy land". This is the DR, not Kansas.
    Thank you first heckler.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically, if they go to the justicia, he's screwed until you pay up.....they never had sex for 2 yrs......lol.... and you believe him....lol..... I wouldn't doubt he's part of this to extort money from you too.....

6. Likes nordique, belmont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh he was having sex... Just not with her. She's nuts. Looking back on messages even before we met he has been trying to shake this chick forever. But thanks for your input.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well all I can say to you is "Be Careful". If they do go through with this and throw him into jail, his family will expect you to pay up and bail him out.......I know you said you will not pay, and he and his family know this now, but when push comes to shove they won't care what you said and will expect the 'money bags' to help out, and if you don't you will have to forget about dating this guy because he will not respect you and neither will his family.....you are basically between a rock and a hard place....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think we are hecklers, we are giving it to you straight. My brother in-law (gotta love him) messed around with a 17 year old and when things ended it was ugly. Yes they went to the justicia, the whole 9 yards. The threats, the phone calls and the embarrassment my mother in-law endured put her in the hospital for 3 days with extremely high blood pressure. My brother in-law does not go even close to the neighborhood this girl (now 18) lives in out of fear that someone will attack him or something. Hopefully for your sake this is not all a setup to get money from you, may sound crazy to you but I have seen this happen numerous times.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll buy them a new stove, if you will be my GF. Can you send some pics?

11. Dislikes Softail disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Not heckling at all jmrc.......but do you REALLY think that in 2 years they NEVER had sex? I don`t think anyone here will rag on ya, but come on, you must admit this sounds a little far fetched??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast