Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visiting In-Laws for First Time

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to DR1, enjoy your trip to Cabrera, you have been given very good advice by all.

"If anyone Wud! Wud Wud"
    Super Moderator
    www.DR1.com

2. Likes Meadow liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What are your thoughts about nice barrettes for the ladies?

A wallet for the father?

We are going shopping in a few minutes. I'm not sure what we'll find at Marshalls.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Glad to be here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel for your husband. You will probably need to put your foot down on his behalf at times. The hotel will be good for him, as he will be able to escape the noise and excitement. Your arrival will bring lots of partying and visitors, which may be very taxing for him. Also know that Dominicans want to come visit when you are sick, so if he rests in a room in the house he may not get quiet.

There was a thread around X-Mas on "what to bring" as gift. If I find it (search is a little tricky) I'll post it.

It is best to ask, but I also have a couple of suggestions from my "campo experience" (not necessarily applicable to wealthier Dominicans).

Sports (baseball, of course) memorabilia and/or licensed merchandise is nice for most Dominican males (check if he has a favorite team.) I also bring various key chains for extended family who show up and you decide you want to give something to.

Because this is family, framed pictures of you and your husband might be nice for your daughter. Nice picture albums aren't that common, so younger girls might like those (and maybe the older ones). Dominicans love pictures, so can't go wrong with nice frames. I'd start small albums for the grandchildren with starter pictures of family that they can add to.

I always recommend good sets of knives for married women. (Chicago cutlery nice). If you don't know clothing sizes, purses (the shinier the better) may be nice for the sisters.

Money is best handled through your son-in-law. You can buy food on your tab at store, give cash, or possibly enjoy being an invited guest without contributing depending on the circumstances of the family. Dominicans are very giving and proud, so if you have to give money it's best to be done by your son-in-law or daughter on your behalf. While I doubt there is a rule of thumb, I think about what I'd spend at a hotel and adjust accordingly.

Enjoy your trip, how fortunate that you are able to do this. I wouldn't worry about "embarassing" the relatives--they tend to know that gringos are "different". But misunderstandings will come up, but as you are family and share grandchildren, you'll work it out. And you'll be surprised that some youngster who wants to practice English will show up when you need him/her.

Both sets of my son's grandparents live far from us, and in my experience really giving your grandchildren the gift of your time and presence is the best gift of all. I would treat the family, if possible to something they don't normally get to do. The memories last longer than the gifts!

(Wow didn't know I had that much to say, don't get me started on the gifts for kids!)

6. Likes ben jammin, Meadow liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much. I appreciate your thoughts and experience. This is what I was asking about. I have been warned about the money thing and will have my son-in-law take care of that for sure!

If you find that other thread, I would like to read that. I'm having a hard time finding things in this forum.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    What are your thoughts about nice barrettes for the ladies? Any hair accessories are nice. Could also try for nice compact mirror.

A wallet for the father? Yes, watches too, are nice.
    A lot of stuff in the DR is knock-off cheap Chinese stuff (But, Dominicans are brand conscious). Even "average" toys seem like something extra special. (Fischer Price, Matchbox cars, etc.)

9. Likes Meadow liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I like the idea of spices! I'm not familiar enough with what they do and don't have there to know what would be appreciated. Can you offer some suggestions? Also, will this cause problems with getting through customs? I've never traveled internationally before, so I don't know what to expect with that, either.

Can openers are very novel to many people! Personally, wouldn't do the spices, but if you do, make sure they're factory sealed.

Interesting about the Crocs. I have read on here that they are good to bring, but my daughter says that only Americans wear them. Is it true that Dominicans are very conscious about footwear?
    Flip flops (and crocs) would be worn as house shoes (or shower shoes) in most cases. Quality flip flops (oxymoron?) and good slippers might be appreciated, but would only be worn inside.

11. Likes Meadow liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes Meadow liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Things my mother-in-law appreciates include: practical weekend bags, thread or yarn and needles for crochet, orthopaedic sandals and nice shower gel. The older males in the family appreciate things like wallets, small gadgets. The sisters in law - silk/silk style scarves or other non-winter accessories, bags/purses, costume jewellery, shower gel/body lotion. But if you can get some information about their specific tastes, likes and interests you can get more personalised gifts.
    Another idea would be a nice calendar/coffee table book about the city/region you come from.

15. Likes bob saunders, mountainannie, Meadow liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I you are flying Delta and have not bought your ticket yet open a Delta brand American Express and use it to buy the tickets.
    With that you get 1 free bag at 50 lbs for each ticket and your carry on.
    Than after the card is paid off close the account.

I do that at XMAS when all the retailers offer 10-20% off when you open a card.
    I use it, pay it off and close it until next XMAS.

17. Likes Meadow, Criss Colon liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast