Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I also probably should have said that I have been outsourcing to India for over ten years. I'm not new to this and assure you that the level of corruption and bureaucracy in India makes DR look like a Paradise. Everything is relative.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened1 View Post
    Thank you for your cautious advice.

I have read the Overview of Domican Labor Law thoroughly. I see nothing in it that I am unwilling to do. Benefits, Christmas bonus, severance, work hours and hollidays, overtime, leaves, maternity, profit distribution, etc. Seems like they have just institutionalized the kinds of things that we would normally do anyway. I'm not quite sure why you call these people illegals when they are all in posession of residency status.
    Because not in your advt. or post do you specify residency is required nor do you specify any benefits in addition to your US$3.00/hr salary. My guess is that the majority of expats living on the north coast willing to work for $3.00/hr. have not invested in obtaining residency. Fair warning, if an employee were to turn a copy of your advt. over to the Labor Board with his complaint, you can expect a quick ruling in his favor. Many a foreign employer has had to escape from this country on short notice when faced with huge compensation awards and fines from the Labor Board. It's all fun and games until the Inspector for the Department of Labor knocks on the door.
    BTW, as you say that there is 'nothing you are unwilling to do" and things that we would "normally" do, I guess you are just waiting for somebody to tell you you have to do it.

Ken
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Because not in your advt. or post do you specify residency is required nor do you specify any benefits in addition to your US$3.00/hr salary. My guess is that the majority of expats living on the north coast willing to work for $3.00/hr. have not invested in obtaining residency. Fair warning, if an employee were to turn a copy of your advt. over to the Labor Board with his complaint, you can expect a quick ruling in his favor. Many a foreign employer has had to escape from this country on short notice when faced with huge compensation awards and fines from the Labor Board. It's all fun and games until the Inspector for the Department of Labor knocks on the door.
    I don't understand a lot of these responses to the OP's original message. He is offering to pay people to do something. Apparently some have already accepted the offer and are working.

It seems to me it is a take it or leave it offer. Those who are interested can follow up, those who are not must have better things to do than make a meal of the business, including making veiled threats.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken2 View Post
    I don't understand a lot of these responses to the OP's original message. He is offering to pay people to do something. Apparently some have already accepted the offer and are working.

It seems to me it is a take it or leave it offer. Those who are interested can follow up, those who are not must have better things to do than make a meal of the business, including making veiled threats.
    Ken, you surprise me. Normally you are the cautious one and tells newbies to consult Fabio for everything. Here, a newbie to doing business in the DR, who is operating in clear violation of Dominican labor law, thinks he is smart enough to circumvent it (his business is virtual, not located here), and you tell him people are making veiled threats agains him????? In fact here is an answer Fabio gave to you in the past:
    Please refer to my Overview of Dominican Labor Law (sticky post above). I'll quote the opening paragraphs:

"As a general rule, any and all relationships in which one person obliges him or herself to provide any form of service to another, in exchange for remuneration and under the direction and/or supervision of the latter, are considered to be employment contracts and subject to the provisions of the Labor Code (Arts. 1 and 2).

Such contracts, which may be verbal or written, are presumed to exist in every such case, unless proven otherwise by the employer. Given this presumption, it is quite possible for a person considered a private contractor in other jurisdictions to qualify as an employee in the Dominican Republic.

Any party to an employment contract may require the other to prepare and/or sign a written version of a previously verbal agreement (Art.19). If in writing, any modifications made to it must be in writing as well (Art. 20). Written agreements are recommended since they foster a clear and sound work relationship.

Any work carried out by a foreigner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the Labor Code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature (Principle V of the Labor Code)."
    The fact is, naive foreign employers get themselves in binds regularly with the Secretary of Labor. Nobody is telling him not to hire workers in the DR, just do it in a way that won't get himself in a bind. In addition to the DR isn't Kansas, it isn't Mumbai either.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me be clear so that certain assumptions are laid to rest. We will be following all laws. We don't find them difficult or onerous. Why would I include "benefits" in my ad when they are the legal requirement and should therefore be assumed. That would be like saying work comp and overtime are included in an ad in the US. Of course they are, they're the law.

On another note; I find your condescention offensive.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This discussion is no longer productive. I will continue to check private posts and respond to employment inquiries. I wish the rest of you well but would rather spend my time doing business than taling about it. Thanks for all of the feedback.

7. Likes trangalanga liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me be clear so that certain assumptions are laid to rest. We will be following all laws. We don't find them difficult or onerous. Why would I include "benefits" in my ad when they are the legal requirement and should therefore be assumed. That would be like saying work comp and overtime are included in an ad in the US. Of course they are, they're the law.

On another note; I find your condescention offensive.
    That is not what you were saying 2 days ago:

Thanks for the labour law advice. I may, from America hire contract labour anywhere in the world. Ours is primarily a virtual company and all wages are paid in U.S. dollars from the U.S. I have warehouse in Kansas, storefront in New Hampshire, contractors in India and contractors in the DR. Given that there is no physical office location in the DR, I believe I am well within legal limits. I have researched this pretty thoroughly, but again really appreciate the advice and you looking out for me

Sorry if you are offended by by my alleged condensation. I was confused by your advertisement. When it promoted "spirit-filled" jewelry, I couldn't find any rum-filled items.

9. Likes Shiraz72, greydread liked this post
    Ken
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    Ken, you surprise me. Normally you are the cautious one and tells newbies to consult Fabio for everything.
    Yes, I tell Newbies to post legal questions in the Legal section so they can get a reply from a real lawyer. I made the same suggestion to this OP.

In the case of this thread, once a poster had pointed out the possible conflict with the Dominican labor law, why was it necessary for umpteen posters to plow the same ground? If this is a way of passing time, they might better work for the OP and get $3 more per hour than they are for writing repetitious messages.

11. Likes trangalanga, Shiraz72, MovingToDR2011 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Tooo funny.

This thread would be equally applied to "Legal" and "The Clown Bin".

13. Likes trangalanga, Major448, Shiraz72 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair question, had it been asked without conclusions drawn before my response.

That said, our plan is to hire many, many Dominicans. Before I move there it is easier for me to train in my native language. Also expats have the connectivity and equipment for remote work and training in their homes. After I move there, those we have trained will in-turn train Dominicans. With the exception of IT and Management we intend that our workforce will become 80% Dominican. It is precisely because we want to do good while making a living that we desire to come there and do our little part to create opportunity.
    Theres a smell of pyramidal sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast