Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Hire Expats in Sosua and Cabarete area

Moderator Living Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    You'd work for a company you know is operating in the DR illegally?
    Definitely not if that proves to be the case but no harm in finding out details I thought....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whirleybird View Post
    Definitely not if that proves to be the case but no harm in finding out details I thought....
    Understood.

The guy ought to come back after he spends the considerable time and money necessary to comply with Dominican Corporate and Labor Law with proof he's legal.

Otherwise he's screwing every person who lives here, cheating them out of badly needed tax pesos that would help with infrastructure, edumacation, health care and other sorely needed projects.

Yes, that's harsh. Also true.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this was getting boring until I read the one about the lack of rum in the spirit filled jewels.. LOL

4. Likes young seniors, dneschlandt, belmont liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

no comment to some of the above comments, but why would anybody want to work 160 hours per month for a measly 450$, unless you are somehow fooled by these people and believe their crap.

6. Likes Rattus_Rattus liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We are not living in the Dominican yet. We contract expats to work for us over the internet. We are based in the US and we transfer funds to them from the US. To suggest, at this point that I have a requirement to establish a Dominican company in order to contract from the US with people working from their homes in DR is absurd in anternet business in the internet age. Check out any number of freelance websites (freelancer.com) where these services can be contracted from and to anywhere in the world including the DR. Should I sent these dollors to the Phillipines are India instead?

Of course, when we move here it will be a different matter all together. We will do ALL that is required under DR law as we will then be operating on and from DR soil. I am starting the advance work with an attorney next week in advance of our eventual move here.

Many of you people are amazingly judgemental and condemning with little to no information about us or our intent.

As to comments about fooling or taking advantage of people; that too is absurd. Our ad says what we do and what we offer. No one is forced to respond and no one is fooled. Just because you may be doing so well that a sum of money is beneath you, does not mean that is the case for everyone. Some people are really struggling out there and love the opportunity we have provided. We have single moms who could work in no other way and be home with their children that are very grateful for the opportunity. BTW none of the initial few we hired make that little now. It is a starting point.

I'm sure there will be an abundance of negativity to this post, but remain glad for the experience as we have all the really terrific resume's we need for this round of hiring.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify, if someone works full time for you on a long term basis it is not considered contract work. It is an employer employee relationship and you are subject to the Dominican Labor Code.

You do make a good point - for some this would be much needed income. For others it won't work. It is not for any of us to judge on individuals needs.

It is our right to take you to task for circumventing the labor code. For those of us who live and work here and pay our share of taxes we get ****ed off at those who do not. Simple.

9. Likes belmont, cobraboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened1 View Post
    We are not living in the Dominican yet. We contract expats to work for us over the internet. We are based in the US and we transfer funds to them from the US. To suggest, at this point that I have a requirement to establish a Dominican company in order to contract from the US with people working from their homes in DR is absurd in anternet business in the internet age. Check out any number of freelance websites (freelancer.com) where these services can be contracted from and to anywhere in the world including the DR. Should I sent these dollors to the Phillipines are India instead?

Of course, when we move here it will be a different matter all together. We will do ALL that is required under DR law as we will then be operating on and from DR soil. I am starting the advance work with an attorney next week in advance of our eventual move here.

Many of you people are amazingly judgemental and condemning with little to no information about us or our intent.

As to comments about fooling or taking advantage of people; that too is absurd. Our ad says what we do and what we offer. No one is forced to respond and no one is fooled. Just because you may be doing so well that a sum of money is beneath you, does not mean that is the case for everyone. Some people are really struggling out there and love the opportunity we have provided. We have single moms who could work in no other way and be home with their children that are very grateful for the opportunity. BTW none of the initial few we hired make that little now. It is a starting point.

I'm sure there will be an abundance of negativity to this post, but remain glad for the experience as we have all the really terrific resume's we need for this round of hiring.
    You continue to show your ignorance of Dominican Law.

To do ANY kind of business here you must either be incorporated or registered and obtain an RNC, period.

It doesn't matter if YOU are elsewhere. It matters where the business is conducted. And just because it's innerweb based doesn't mean the Law doesn't apply to you because your EMPLOYEES live in the DR. There is little distinction between an employee and contractor under Dominican law. (In fact, it's very, very difficult to have "contractors" under US law; the IRS has those 21 questions that must be properly answered...and that is a TOUGH assignment.)

You are flat wrong in your plan. What you do is outside Dominican law. To now say "well, I'll consult an attorney" shows me you don't have a clue on how to run a business because ANYONE with an hour experience KNOWS the FIRST thing you do is form a legal entity that fully complies with prevailing code.

To those of us who pay upwards of $2000 a year just to maintain a Dominican corporation...and I'm not even talking about filing taxes and social security...it's people like you who really make us get hot under the collar.

And since you're not currently based in the DR (not that it matters under DR law since your employees are there), please tell us your corporate name and FEI in the state you're incorporated so reasonable prospective employees can properly vet your proper legal standing. I suspect you can't even do that.

BTW-are 80% of your employees Dominican CITIZENS? Because the LAW says they must be.
    Last edited by cobraboy; 04-30-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: speeling

11. Likes belmont liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    no comment to some of the above comments, but why would anybody want to work 160 hours per month for a measly 450$, unless you are somehow fooled by these people and believe their crap.
    So you can subsidize his eight kids. Duh! Now if you want to be able to support your own family, TS, find another way.

My father paid his carpenters in the 1980's more than what they typically make now in a U.S. city (NOT adjusted for inflation) - because he believed they were entitled to make a living wage before he made significant profits. Definitions of morality in business have changed a lot and I think outsourcing has a lot to do with it. Really, really not a fan.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcblue View Post
    Definitions of morality in business have changed a lot and I think outsourcing has a lot to do with it. Really, really not a fan.
    Outsourcing is not the villain, those that take advantage of the system are. By offering a subsistance wage to a population which may be desperate is illegal and immoral. What is being offered here is no different than what was done in the sweatshops of the US a hundred years ago. Yes, labor laws may prevent people from working, but they guarantee minimum standards which the employee is entitled to. Under the OP's theory, I should be able to hire any undocumented worker in NYC, pay him $3.00/hr, work him 60 hrs/week, as long as I operate on the internet and send him money from outside the US. Screw taxes, FICA, UI, etc. "But judge, I conducted my business on the internet from outside the US" won't fly as a defense. BTW, ask any internet gambling site owner why a warrant is out for them in the US.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hola

Quote Originally Posted by enlightened1 View Post
    We are in the process of moving our internet retail business to Cabarete/Sosua area. We took out a classified add on DR1 for customer service employees and were fortunate enough to find and hire three great expats in the Sosua area who now work for us remotely full time. I have recently posted a second ad and the response has been slow compared to the first. We need a couple more good people. This site has been great, but can anyone suggest an additional way that we get word out to the American, Canadian, British expat community that we have jobs and employment available in the DR working for a reliable American company?
    Hello
    I am an American expat here for 6 years and always looking for additional sources of income. My email is peemck@yahoo.com. Let me know what you have in mind. Thanks

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast