Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First visit to DR... Request for assistance

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drdirectional View Post
    rent a car travelocity.com $25 a day. Booking online is usually 60% cheaper then just showing up. There's only one highway along the north coast, if you get lost you shouldn't be driving! Motoconchos are dangerous and guaguas and transporte are limited at night between the 3 towns. Plus you'll have the freedom to travel where ever and whenever you want. Be sure the horn works!
    And if you follow this advise, be sure to take out the FULL Insurance at about $30 per day and whatever you do, do not get into an accident! You risk being detained and financially drained.
    Take Taxis' or other public transport, you're much better off.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We just got back last week from DR we rented from Alamo in POP thru carrentals.com for 5 days us $211.71 got their liabilty ins and had full coverage from chase card. Driving was'nt too bad you get to do the things you can't do in the states enjoy have fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMD53 View Post
    We just got back last week from DR we rented from Alamo in POP thru carrentals.com for 5 days us $211.71 got their liabilty ins and had full coverage from chase card. Driving was'nt too bad you get to do the things you can't do in the states enjoy have fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    You may have had full coverage from your chase card, but that is't going to help you here because they are going to lock you up until payment is guaranteed. Always have Casa de Conductor coverage.

4. Likes SKing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wow.. thanks everyone.

i really appreciate the info. has anyone taken a trip from Puerto Plata to Turks & Caicos?
    if so, i am intertested in any details or info u may have.
    i am from Vancouver and if any of you ever want info on what to do and see here, i would be happy to assist.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone.. been here for almost 2 weeks and love it.
    just wondering if any of you know if their is a decent duty free store inside the airport.
    if not, or its expensive, do you have other suggestions for duty free returning to Canada from POP?
    Jim

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're having fun!

SHALENA

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Your out of luck on the duty free....it's lousy at this airport. Are you leaving soon or do you still want info on fishing? If so, PM me and I'll call you with some info.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... i suppose we will just buy Rum at the local Mercado.
    i went fishing 2 times with a company from Sosua Beach near the glass bottom(n) boat.
    the "big cheese" is named Charley. if anyone wants a review just ask.
    leaving tomorrow back to reality...... sucks but 15 days is a good length vacation.
    i learned alot as we had a private friend, taxi driver, tour guide...... he is a friend of our friends at home.
    although many of you may think i am naive... he's a super guy and trustworthy family man.
    i would recomend him to anyone.
    PS... Pardise Island, Monte Christi and the beach there are 100% worth the 2.5 hour drive through the countryside.
    i would be more than happy to offer any comments and send a photo or 2 if anyone is interested.
    take care everyone... i will return (since my cousin owns this amazing condo)
    Jim

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you rent be careful before assuming that your US insurance will cover you in the RD....which is not the case with many US carriers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12