Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 75

Thread: New Cruise Ship Port in Puerto Plata

  1. #11
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    The port will be built right at the Maimon Bay in Puerto Plata.

    it will consist of a facility to berth two cruise ships at the same time in the first phase, which will accommodate the ships from carnival first and foremost, as well as other cruise ships not related to Carnival operations.

    The port will be built on 150,000 square meters, with the two forementioned facilities, a duty free shopping plaza, picnic areas, enterteinment park, a market, aquatic attractions for swimmers, power sports, sailing, scuba diving, etc... A public area, rest areas, a bus transfer station among other services.

    The port will 100% privately owned and operated in agreement with the local authorities. With customs and port officials integrated into the facility.

    At the first phase, the facility will be able to accommodate two ships at the same time, each with 5,000 people accounting for crew. With flexible room to render more services if needed.

    In a second phase Carnival will be expanding the port facilities to accommodate 6 ships and 40,000+ visitors. With the introduction of this port to Carnival cruises as a home port for new ships that will soon follow the already operating fleet in the Caribbean.

    Given the closeness of the Puerto Plata international airport, and a second major international airport in the close city of Santiago, the new Port or Maimon will be seeing a lot of tourism as ships depart and arrive in new routes to be integrated for this facility.

  2. #12
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default








  3. #13
    Platinum
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    10,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  4. Likes DR2001 liked this post
  5. #14
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    11,790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post


    The port will be built right at the Maimon Bay in Puerto Plata.

    it will consist of a facility to berth two cruise ships at the same time in the first phase, which will accommodate the ships from carnival first and foremost, as well as other cruise ships not related to Carnival operations.

    The port will be built on 150,000 square meters, with the two forementioned facilities, a duty free shopping plaza, picnic areas, enterteinment park, a market, aquatic attractions for swimmers, power sports, sailing, scuba diving, etc... A public area, rest areas, a bus transfer station among other services.

    The port will 100% privately owned and operated in agreement with the local authorities. With customs and port officials integrated into the facility.

    At the first phase, the facility will be able to accommodate two ships at the same time, each with 5,000 people accounting for crew. With flexible room to render more services if needed.

    In a second phase Carnival will be expanding the port facilities to accommodate 6 ships and 40,000+ visitors. With the introduction of this port to Carnival cruises as a home port for new ships that will soon follow the already operating fleet in the Caribbean.

    Given the closeness of the Puerto Plata international airport, and a second major international airport in the close city of Santiago, the new Port or Maimon will be seeing a lot of tourism as ships depart and arrive in new routes to be integrated for this facility.
    with the port being 100% privately owned, i guess all the facilities will be privately owned, as well. so, how much leeway does the local authorities have in deciding how the pie gets cut?

  6. #15
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Google Earth Coordinates if I am not mistaken for Maimon Bay:

    1950'0.20"N
    7046'40.71"W

  7. #16
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    with the port being 100% privately owned, i guess all the facilities will be privately owned, as well. so, how much leeway does the local authorities have in deciding how the pie gets cut?
    I suspect it will be like any other DR business where the government gets its cut in applicable taxes on the businesses involved and some local people are employed. Why would the local authorities have any more leeway than that in a free market venture?

  8. Likes mido liked this post
  9. #17
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,719
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Come back to this thread in four years and see how nothing was built. But there will be another set of pics with President Fernandez and vice president Felix at the ribbon cutting to commence the ground breaking.

  10. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Dislikes mido disliked this post
  11. #18
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luperon View Post
    Come back to this thread in four years and see how nothing was built. But there will be another set of pics with President Fernandez and vice president Felix at the ribbon cutting to commence the ground breaking.
    This post can only be the result of lack of information. Please check your source, come back to this thread soon and explain why there won't be anything built in 4 years from now. I know some people working with the company and they are looking for housing in the area.

  12. #19
    Gold
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9,476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    This post can only be the result of lack of information. Please check your source, come back to this thread soon and explain why there won't be anything built in 4 years from now. I know some people working with the company and they are looking for housing in the area.
    I suspect Luperon is not using a source, just his experience in things Dominican. Am i correct on that, Luperon?
    As someone else who believes what they see, I hope all goes well with the project.

  13. #20
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I suspect Luperon is not using a source, just his experience in things Dominican.
    You could call this either limited experience or negative propaganda then.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •