Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: sosua or cabarete

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

wow so many information. you people are great. now as far as i have concluded the readings Sosua is cheaper but not so "safe" while Cabarete is more expensive but "safer". Now i'm not used to such behavior of people to attack on beaches since these things here don't happen at all. I\m not looking for a cheaper place rather than to enjoy my staying, the ocean and since i'm 28 i'd love the nightlife but of course the "cool" one and not with hos and pimps or whatever they are over some places.
    i like to listen to a great music, drink a bottle of wine or champagne or cocktails and enjoy the people over a great barbecue on the beach and stuff like that...maybe i've seen too many movies i don't know but that's what i am dreaming of.

many many thanks for all your replies.

PS: frank12 i love your description

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does nobody mention Puerto Plata???...I think personnally to live there instead, after seen Sosua and Cabarete...but donno much about the place. What attracts me is that there are more convienient stores of all kinds and the road down by the beach ( forget the name ) seems to be a nice place to take a walk...I like the nightlife and wonder what it is like compared to the 2 other. Sosua, you go around all in no time and the same in Cabarete...the living, I personnally think it will be much the same and a ride to the other towns for a couple of beer or whatever, close and the roads are in good condition.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Puerta Plata is pretty much a dead town. Other than the cable car up the mountain there is not much going on. The govt is promising to revitalize the area and improve the port but not much so far has been done. Strictly my personal opinion. Others may disagree.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee, i would have thought that with over 200,000 population there would be more action, no?...how about the bars?..any tourists hanging around like in Sosua? I really found that the malecon was a beautiful place to go wander around by the beach.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by watson56 View Post
    Why does nobody mention Puerto Plata???...
    Because OP did not asked about POP.
    I must admit i was thinking of giving some "advices" of POP, but if i did, the war of the roses (Sosua versus Cabarete) would have spread like wildfires and even more of us sunburned loonies would have volunteered as an brave keyboard warrior.
    Even Jesus Christ himself would have been spotted in some of the golden streets streets of POP- everything just to be better then the other two 6 star places in this thread.

I believe Don Frank12 mentioned the most important parts here in the sunny never wet Northcoast, so OP just have to come down himself and try to live here in the Twiilight Zone- i mean Sosua- or Cabarete.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

whatever you do it's not like sosua/caberete/POP is 1000 miles away from each other. just a guagua ride away.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so to sum up the difference between these two small towns, let's recap:

SOSUA

1. Lycan's and vampires come ut at night to feed off the blood of naive tourists.
    2. Richard Simmon look-a-likes can be seen floating around town in leotards and spandex.
    3. East coast rapper, in-the-hood, wanna-be's parade around town in muscle shirts and velcro--sporting tribal tattoos and other esteemed symbols of higher intelligence.
    4. Except for a few exceptional restaurants, the strip is mostly made up of old, nostalgic, carnival looking booths masquerading as high end shops that sell plastic trinkets of Chinese made bubble-gum souvenirs.
    5. Many of the people hanging out on the strip all day drinking are rocket scientists who, after waiting around half a lifetime for a rich relative to pass away, have run down here as fast as their little feet could carry them to squander large amounts of someone else's hard earned cash on live entertainment that sometimes include, but are not limited to--large booties (of which i have a strong weakness for), big hair, fake fingernails, lost donkeys, blow-up dolls, things that vibrate, and other assorted technologies that allow one to fall asleep quickly.

Meanwhile...in CABARETE

1. Tourists and locals participate in water sports from sun up to sun down.
    2. Christian soldiers unite at beach side restaurants to watch God fearing Christian women parade up and down the beach promenade in high heels that sometimes sink so far down into the sand that they pierce the water main and sewage lines, causing toxic water to cascade over one's chicken salad and mohito drinks.
    3. People are busy participating in Christian activities like apple-bobbing, pinning the donkey, etc.
    4. People are busy donating their time and energy to bettering the lives of lonely men and women who come down here for a one week vacation looking for salvation and redemption in the most unusual places.
    5. People attend church services on a regular basis and then make a bee-line to nearby Cabanas where good, pious Christian folks throw their legs up to Jesus and praise him in the most highly anticipated, sought after, sexually fullfilling, entertaining ways imaginable--sometimes casuing the stucco on the cielings to fall and chandeliers to sway so violently that they come crashing down on top of people participating in acrobatics.

Love Frank

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

most helpful

9. Likes Tamborista liked this post
    Moderator - Off-Topic
    Post Thanks / Like

Frank12 is a hard act to follow, especially when he's on a roll....

Cosmin, as a follow up to my earlier advice, I'd encourage you to rent some space for a month or so in one town, then do the same in the other. It'll give you a better sense of the local vibe without forcing you into a long-term commitment.

You may very well find that the beach towns are great, but a bit tedious once you get over the "beach & bikinis" island fantasy. DR has a lot of really good areas to choose from, none of which are more than two hours or so from a beach.

Puerto Plata is just ok for me, but I really enjoy Santiago (in the mountains, great weather, LOTS of stuff to do, you can be in Cabarete in less than 90 minutes taking the Moca Road).

Santo Domingo has a ton of people and horrible traffic, but by far the most options available on the island in terms of lifestyle. Once you get past Boca Chica, there are nice little beach towns all the way to top-tourist-destination Punta Cana. Cabarete and Sosua are only 3 hrs away via the new Nagua highway.

11. Likes tanicos liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaiallen View Post
    Cabarete has a more laid back feel to it. Both are tourist towns but Cabarete caters more to wind surfers, kite surfers and some couples. You wont escape crime in either, but Cabarete has a bit less than Sosua and the police there seem more friendly. Mind you , these are Dominican Police, so that's relative. Sosua has a better availability of foreigner friendly grocery stores, Cabarete just has Janet's but, you'll find pretty much everything you need there. Food prices are high at Janet's, Playero and City market, so it doesn't matter. That's pretty much standard all over the country.

There's not much to do in either. There's a little culture growing , some expat theater and a few other things to pass your time, but expect to be bored in both. As far as renting an apartment goes, I don't think there's much of a difference in price.

Both are different cities when the sun goes down, but Cabarete's night life is a lot tamer than Sosua's but if you're into that, there's clubs and bars along Cabarete Beach, and of course, the " stroll " in Sosua. My opinion is that if you're into bars, the beach in Cabarete is a little safer.. but you're in the D.R.

It's a matter of opinion. I prefer Cabarete. It seems a little " friendlier " to me.

Events in Cabarete: Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast